Author Topic: 30 cal Aardvark  (Read 925 times)

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
30 cal Aardvark
« on: May 19, 2004, 06:39:20 PM »
For owners of 30-30  Handi rifles this Wildcat is perhaps one of the most sensible one. It is a 30-30 Improved which burnes powder most efficiently. Uses about 38gr of N130 or 2015 4197 with 125 to 130 gr bullets less powder with 150 gr bullets. fire forming and case making is very simple with the rim unchanged.

This is a most outstanding accurate cartridge. If I had a 30-30 I would certainly get it rechambered to the Aardvark. It retains all the good features of the 30-30 with a little added velocity leaving the rim unchanged.

The Aardvark has won many Hunter Bench Rest competitions. In bolt actions the rim is machined off and a ejector groove turned in. Fired cases will last and last with neck sizing only.

The existing chamber should be measured to acertain feasebility. This chamber could be hand reamed in a Handi. I think the 30-30 chamber is maybe not as loose as some of the high density cartridges. Also the new chamber will clean up all of the existing chamber.

A Lee collet die which is not hardened could be reamed with the same reamer.

Just an idea for an ambitious tinkerer since a lot of people like to go for an Imp.  Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
30 cal Aardvark
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 07:30:51 PM »
Never heard of it.  How does it compare to the 30-30 AI ?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
30 cal Aardvark
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 07:41:23 PM »
handirifle.
Very close except for shoulder angle which is 35 deg. The case is shorter, but in the handy you would have to ream to the full 30-30 length.

Perhaps a 30-30 Ai reamer would be easier to rent. Since the barrel on the Handi can not be set back the chamber has to be reamed a bit longer
or the neck left longer by about 20 Thou. But I would ream to the full 30-30 length. Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
30 cal Aardvark
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 12:51:32 AM »
Quote from: Fred M

Perhaps a 30-30 Ai reamer would be easier to rent.

Quite easy, as I finally got my 30-30AI reamer last night. Does $15 and a promise to use proper cutting oil and mail it to the next guy on the list sound like a reasonable cost?

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
30 cal Aardvark
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 05:47:05 AM »
Mitch
Sounds good enough for me to want to send off for a 30-30 barrel.

For those that have the 30-30 AI, how do you like it?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
30 cal Aardvark
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 06:19:36 AM »
Yes this is a good deal for this fine wild cat. Perhaps the best conversion
for a Handi. OAL is very important load bullets into the lands if you can, without getting the bullet stuck.

Let me know how well the Lee collet dies ream. If they are hardened you can't ream them with a HS reamer. But 30-30 AI dies are available.
Fred M
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
30 cal Aardvark
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 11:00:00 AM »
Mitch,i think i would like the reamer.let me know when you are done with it.i then will PM you with my address.

Offline Deadeye47

30 cal Aardvark
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 11:29:52 AM »
I was thinking of the AI myself.....can I get in line with jeff223? The cost sounds fine with me!! More than fair....I was just looking at the reamer in the midway catalog last night...kinda proud of it arn't they?
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline JPH45

30 cal Aardvark
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 12:59:56 PM »
I'm interested too, but at the moment am having no trouble getting 2350 out of plain vanilla 30-30 brasss and a 22" Handi using 150 grain bullets. Most calim 2500-2600 for the AI, if this is true then it is an honest 50 yard gain in MPBR. I have tought about this in past, but only thought about it, if you know what I mean. Lee makes 30-30 AI dies as a standard product in both full length resizer and collet die, same prices as other dies. Makes the conversion very appealing. Am very interested in knowing how it turns out for you guys, I may be persuaded to jump on this bandwagon myself. Keep us informed, Thanks, JP
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline jeff223

30 cal Aardvark
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 01:16:20 PM »
i am going to have a word with my shooting partner and gun smith about this just to make sure about this if you dont mind.i wont jump right in with both feet until i do.if the OK comes from him then its a go with me.i will let you know what he says

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
30 cal Aardvark
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 02:03:54 PM »
You may find if the bore is over size like the 25-06 I have you need a lot more powder to reach standard velocities.

Can some body slug the bore with a lead ball and get the size of bore on a 30-30. Drive the lead ball into the bore at the muzzle with a piece of wood dowling. You should need to know that anyway.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.