Author Topic: Big Cats in N.C.  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Loader 3009

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Big Cats in N.C.
« on: May 21, 2004, 01:40:54 PM »
TV news reported, yesterday, that large cat tracks have been found near downtown Newton, N.C.  Showed pictures of tracks.  Wildlife officer said they belonged to very large bobcat or mountain lion.

Both mountain lions and black panthers have been spotted in central N.C. for years.

Haven't heard of any bigfeet, though.  Cat's must keep them run off. :D
Don't believe everything you think.

Offline 1911crazy

Re: Big Cats in N.C.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 10:11:32 AM »
Quote from: Loader 3009
TV news reported, yesterday, that large cat tracks have been found near downtown Newton, N.C.  Showed pictures of tracks.  Wildlife officer said they belonged to very large bobcat or mountain lion.

Both mountain lions and black panthers have been spotted in central N.C. for years.

There is no mistaken the difference between mountainlion tracks and bobcat tracks these just ain't the same the male mountainlions run around 200lbs trust me it ain't your local fat kitty cat its a bigger kitty cat that is a killing machine and someone could end up dinner very fast like the people in california who are getting attacked more frequently now.  Bobcats are a lot smaller I would say about 28lbs + from the ones I have seen here in CT.   When I first seen mountainlion tracks in the fresh snow in the higher elevations I knew right away what they were they were right next to blackbear tracks in a campsite that used in the summer by hikers.  And its a good haul up the mountain from my jeep that I try to drive as far up as I can.   This area has the most deer rubs on the trees I have ever seen too maybe thats why the big cats are there because of the food supply.                                                         BigBill

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
Big Cats in N.C.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 05:28:47 PM »
I will only mention this because the first time I did,  got a big laugh for my troubles.  I was bowhunting near Lenior N.C in 1976,and I caught a "liquid black movement" out of the corner of my eye.  I crept closer and saw a round black ear and a yellow eye looking at me from behind cover they eye and the ear were bobbing up and down with its breathing.  It was growling.  I slowly backed out, unsure if panthers were protected, but I am convinced to this day, that it was a panther.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Re: Big Cats in N.C.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 01:22:59 AM »
Quote from: Loader 3009

Guys, I could be wrong on this, but I dont think so, the American mountain lion, wild cat or Florida panther are all members of the same family of cats. And they aint black. The BLACK panther is a native of Africa, or some such place. And except for being cats are not the same animal. If I am wrong perhaps someone who aint can straighten me out. :wink:
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Big Cats in N.C.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 04:31:57 AM »
twdollar:  I've seen cougar/mountain lion in S. Carolina - it may even have been a Florida Panther.  But as to the black color - I know that Jaguars ( the spotted ones) in South America are often born black and then the spots develop on the ends of the fur - if you rub the fur back you see that it is black underneath - or at least with the two cases I'm particularly familiar with.  

I don't doubt there may be some variation in color, even amonst the puma.  Some seem to be sandy in color, some brown or grey and who knows, somebody's soouthern cousin may be comin' to dinner (LOL).  Mikey.

Offline Loader 3009

• Contributor
Big Cats in N.C.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 06:43:12 AM »
The majority of panther reports in my area are of black ones.  I have  seen a number of videos and photos people have taken.  In one case there were a pair of black ones.

In Orangeburg, S.C., most of the squirrels are albino.

In Lenoir, N.C., most of the women are blonde, but this has more to do with peroxide than genetics. :-D
Don't believe everything you think.

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Big Cats in N.C.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 12:02:34 AM »
In Orangeburg, S.C., most of the squirrels are albino.

In Lenoir, N.C., most of the women are blonde, but this has more to do with peroxide than genetics. :-D[/quote]
 Hey, there are always exceptions to every rule. And I stated I dont know everything, but now you are talking bout something really important. I gotta go up to Orangeburg for some of those albino squirrels. I really would love to harvest a couple of them for mounting. ( Keep your thoughts pure ) I already have a blond wife-however she got that way- I dont need another. She wouldnt let me keep another one anyway. :-D
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
Big Cats in N.C.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 11:05:19 AM »
twodollarpistol,

You are right about being all in the same. There are sub speices of the cat,
 but there are "no" sub speices that are concidered to be, or singled out as  "Black Panthers".

To many people use the term Black Panther as a seperate speices of cat, its not...
Black is a melenistic occurance in all animals, but very rare.

I wood like to see some pictures of a so called black panther.

Show me a picture of one thats been shot or hit by a car that biologists have declared a sub speices called a "black panther"  :shock:
Blow a vintage Circe dinner bell and they will come...