Author Topic: 30mm optics  (Read 877 times)

Offline ercjr2001

• Trade Count: (0)
30mm optics
« on: April 22, 2004, 03:08:15 PM »
Research I have found. Leupold LPS ( Diamond Coat, 30mm internal Lenses, Recticle 2nd Image Plane-Side AO / Wire, 99.65% Per Lense ). Nikon Gold ( 30mm internal Lenses, Reticle 2nd Image Plane-Side AO adjustment/ Wire, 99.5% Light Transmission through entire scope.)
Burris Black Diamond ( Same as above except 99.5% Transmission per lensewith posi lock option.)
Kahles ( 99.7% per Lense Surface and 94% total light Transmission, Etched Reticle in First focal plane ) Swarosvki ( 94% Total Light Transmission, Steel Waffer Reticle and square adjustment range in the First Focal Plane, Four spring adjustment housing. )
Ziess V/VM ( No INfo on Light Transmission, Etched Glass Reticle In the first focal Plane with square adjustment range. Widest field of view next to the Kahles.) The Ziess Z/ZM OR KNOW CALLED COnquest 30mm ( One piece steel tube, Smallest field of view, Etched Glass reticle in the first focal plane. Markedly above 90% light transmission.)
Doctor optic ( Wire reticle in first focal plane, Markedly above 90% Light transmission)
COMPARISONS OUTSIDE GUNSHOP AT LATE EVENING - Total OPINIONS.
ZIESS V/VM ( Brighter than the PH Swarovski but hardly noticable, per myself and the clerk and one other customer, all this after the clerk was pushing for the swarovski ph. He changed his view to (just a bit brighter) Field of view was also comparable) Once you looked for more than a few seconds you really could not see a difference. When you first raised the scope each time is were we saw a subtle difference in brightness.)
Nikon Gold also proved to be a hair brighter tham the PH.
Ziess V/VM and Nikon Gold neck and neck.
The PH and the Burris Black Diamond seemed to come close but we all agreed the PH was a hair better optically than the Burris.( not $500 better ) So that is our Great summation. I still do not Know which scope to Buy.

Offline dwitteman

30mm optics
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 05:06:30 AM »
I opted for the Nikon Gold 2.5x10x50.  I think that when you compare quality (brightness, sharpness, low light transmission, etc.) vs. price ($500-600 range which it can be purchased for) it is arguably the best value available in a quality 30mm scope.  Just my opinion, but this is where I ended up after going through the same type of analysis you are going through.

Offline Tomac

30mm optics
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 05:16:15 PM »
Have you checked out the IOR Valdada scopes, especially their 2.5-10x42 Tactical?
Tomac

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
30mm optics
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 02:23:05 AM »
" Nikon Gold ( 30mm internal Lenses, Reticle 2nd Image Plane-Side AO adjustment/ Wire, 99.5% Light Transmission through entire scope.)"

99.5% light transmission thru the entire scope is HIGHLY unlikely.  That is probably per lens surface as well.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline ercjr2001

30mm optics
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 10:36:17 AM »
99.5% is a TYPO 95% total transmission

Offline HeresJohnny

30mm optics
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 06:26:51 AM »
Any specs on the IOR line, specifically the 4-14x50 tactical?  Thanx...