Author Topic: Why I'm Boycotting Pizza Hut.........  (Read 935 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Why I'm Boycotting Pizza Hut.........
« on: June 02, 2004, 01:14:57 AM »
Being a pizza delivery person is an inherently dangerous occupation as far as I can surmise. "Pizza Hut" doesn't seem to care at all if their employees become victims or not.

This man was well within his legal rights to defend himself, and I believe he was much smarter than the company he worked for.

I'll NEVER order from "Pizza Hut" again.

Subject: Pizza deliveryman won't be charged
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 13:34:00 -0400

A pizza deliveryman who killed an armed man who was trying to rob
him will not face criminal charges, the Marion County
Prosecutor's office announced today.

"It's a clear case of self-defense," Deputy Prosecutor Barb
Crawford said. "He did what the law allows him to do to protect
himself."

Ronald B. Honeycutt, 38, Carmel, shot Jerome Brown-Dancler, 20,
9500 block of East 39th Place, more than a dozen times on May 17.

The evidence shows that Brown-Dancler pointed a 9mm handgun at
Honeycutt, who had had just finished making a delivery about 11
p.m. in the 3600 block of Long Wharf Drive on the Far Eastside.

Brown-Dancler's gun was loaded with 14 rounds, but had no bullet
in the chamber, Crawford said. Honeycutt produced his own 9mm and
fired until it was empty.

After the shooting, Honeycutt told The Star he was just getting
into his van when Brown-Dancler appeared to go for a gun.

Honeycutt kept shooting after the would-be robber hit the ground,
evidence shows. He took the man's gun, fearing it might be stolen
if it was left with the body. He got in his van, drove to the
Pizza Hut Restaurant where he worked and told his manager to call
police, Crawford said.

"This was late at night. This was a high-crime area," Crawford
said. "He left because he wasn't sure whether or not
Brown-Dancler had any friends with him. As it turns out, he did
indeed have friends with him. They left when they heard shots
fired."

Police found both guns in Honeycutt's van.

Honeycutt says he fired 15 shots, but Crawford said the medical
evidence cannot determine how many times Brown-Dancler was hit.
The evidence shows only that he was shot more than 10 but less
than 15 times, Crawford said.

Honeycutt said he was fired from his job at Pizza Hut because he
had violated the firm's policy against carrying a gun.

Why do liberals trust the bad guys to be good and expect the law-
abiding to be bad?

Firearms, self-defense, and other information, with LINKS are
available at: http://www.ourpeak.com/davisda Check the index.html
page for additions and updates. Previous E-mail messages are
being archived.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Why I'm Boycotting Pizza Hut.........
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 01:21:09 AM »
Quote from: BamBams
Being a pizza delivery person is an inherently dangerous occupation as far as I can surmise. "Pizza Hut" doesn't seem to care at all if their employees become victims or not.

This man was well within his legal rights to defend himself, and I believe he was much smarter than the company he worked for.

Dali Llama say he concur wholeheartedly with BamBams, but anticipate disagreement from likes of Thomas Krupinski and dukkillr. :-)  :-)  :-)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline BamBams

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 01:44:04 AM »
What difference does it make when someone disagrees with me if I'm 100% right?  :lol:
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 03:47:21 AM »
Gentlemen:  I agree with the boycott of Pizza Hut based on their policies toward self defense and firearms ownership.  I also boycott pizza hut generally because they sell crappy pizza.  Mikey.

Offline oso45-70

mis. marlin talk, collectables, handguns etc
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 05:46:09 AM »
Ladys & Genlemen,
You can put me on the list of,( no more pizza hut ). I can't belive that a outfit like that would take the stand of not being able to defend thimselves
in a situation like this. On top of that had he been robbed they would have taken the money out of his pocket. This is a sure sign of cheap liberal low rent misfits. NO MORE PIZZA HUT FOR THIS PERSON.

........................................Joe.............................................................
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 06:24:17 AM »
Here in Arizona in our CCW law a business has the right to post a sign to prohibit bringing a firearm into their establishment.  The person who carries also has the right to decline to do business with an establishment that refuses to allow carrying in their establishment.  

There are a lot of them that I do not do business with for that reason, and you need tp inform their management of that reason to have an effect.

But I am with Mikey on Pizza Hut, in that for a boycott to have significance, you have to first have to be a user of that product and then decline to use it for the reason of the boycott.  Pizza Hut was not on my preference list to start off with.  

There are many other businesses that would also fit into this situation of allowing employees to work in potentially dangerous enviroments without allowing them the ability to protect themselves.  The first that come to mind include convience store chains.  

Now I feel that they have a right to make the rules that they want their employees to abide by.  On the other hand the employees also have the right to decline to work for them if they object to the rules and working conditions; and their customers have the right to not use their services if they object to anything about the business.  It's called free enterprise.

Offline NYH1

Re: Why I'm Boycotting Pizza Hut.........
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 06:53:23 AM »

Not that I agree with Pizza Hut, but if they allow an employee to carry a weapon then they are just as liable as the person that fired the weapon. In this case it was "justified" and there really isn't anything the family can do as far as a "civil suite" gos. After all "Jerome" aimed first. But if they had an employee that used his weapon and it wasn't "justified" then Pizza Hut would be liable. Again I don't agree with them, but that the reason.
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline paladyn

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 07:06:00 AM »
I live in Indy. Me and most of my friends, family also are boycotting Pizza Hut.
I cancelled Verizon Wireless also, because they have the same position.
Browning Hi Power
Colt Commander
Springfield Armory 1911A1
Springfield Armory 1911A1 Compact

Offline BamBams

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 07:12:51 AM »
NYH: I just KNEW somebody would say that!  To that, I say this: This is a company with NO BACKBONE!  The "We're afraid of getting sued" mentality simply doesn't cut it when human lives are on the line every day and night.

What's the difference between an ARMED armored car driver working for $7.25 an hour and a pizza delivery person working for tips?  Answer: NONE!  Neither cares about their employees, yet they do care about protecting their other assets?

Evidently, "Pizza Hut" feels it would be better for the employee to lose their life in a robbery than to face some music in the courtroom?

For heavens' sake, the guy was getting robbed!  Now he has NO JOB!  I'd call that a bad day.

Until they give this man his job back, there will be NO PIZZA HUT for me!

I just emailed "Pizza Hut" and let them know they have lost my family as customers:

http://www.pizzahut.com/contact/feedback_type.asp
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline NYH1

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 07:14:41 AM »
paladyn, I think you'll find that most companies are gonna have the same position on this. Even if their not an "antigun" company they still don't want the liability that gos with letting an employee care a firearm.
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline NYH1

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 07:17:40 AM »
NYH: I just KNEW somebody would say that!  To that, I say this: This is a company with NO BACKBONE!  

What's the difference between an ARMED armored car driver working for $7.25 an hour and a pizza delivery person working for tips?  Answer: NONE!  Neither cares about their employees, yet they DO care about protecting the money.

Evidently, "Pizza Hut" feels it would be better for the employee to lose their life in a robbery than to face some music in the courtroom?

For heavens' sake, the guy was getting robbed!  Now he has NO JOB!  I'd call that a bad day.

So what if he was armed?  This guy has done delivery people a huge favor everywhere!    

BamBams, I agree with you 100%. But thats their excuse.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 07:30:50 AM »
You know what?  This thing really shows just how "off track" our society is these days.  If people, and our government, had any common sense at all, you'd see this delivery guy applauded as a hero, but alas, the FIREARM becomes the focus of media attention and legal fear -- rather than the actions of an intelligent and forward thinking pizza delivery driver.  

If he had killed the robber using "Kung Fu" or by choking him to death with pizza crust, he'd still have a job!  Stupidity reigns in our legal systems, our corporate structure, and our government!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 09:14:41 AM »
does anyone know of a nation wide company that openly allows or even encourages it's delivery people to carry guns?  or any companies at all?  someone said something about verizon, what about the other cell companies?  i'm worried that by boycotting these companies you could be sending business to companies that have the same policy but they haven't had an incident that put it in the public attention.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 12:47:43 PM »
This is a company with NO BACKBONE!  The "We're afraid of getting sued" mentality simply doesn't cut it when human lives are on the line every day and night.

What's the difference between an ARMED armored car driver working for $7.25 an hour and a pizza delivery person working for tips?  Answer: NONE!  Neither cares about their employees, yet they do care about protecting their other assets?

I just emailed "Pizza Hut" and let them know they have lost my family as customers:

http://www.pizzahut.com/contact/feedback_type.asp
Dali Llama say he curious what Thomas Krupinski respond to this, since someone other than Dali state it now. :grin:  :?  :?  :?

Offline BamBams

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 01:10:07 PM »
Quote from: dukkillr
does anyone know of a nation wide company that openly allows or even encourages it's delivery people to carry guns?  or any companies at all?  someone said something about verizon, what about the other cell companies?  i'm worried that by boycotting these companies you could be sending business to companies that have the same policy but they haven't had an incident that put it in the public attention.

Sure....the Federal Marshall's service, the Secret Service, the FBI, the military, some gun shops -- (but we who work at gun shops are a huge problem in society -- we're bad).
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 01:15:57 PM »
Quote from: dukkillr

Sure....the Federal Marshall's service, the Secret Service, the FBI, the military, some gun shops -- (but we who work at gun shops are a huge problem in society -- we're bad).
...and you're nationwide, add Dali Llama! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline paladyn

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 05:33:45 AM »
Quote from: New York Hunter
paladyn, I think you'll find that most companies are gonna have the same position on this. Even if their not an "antigun" company they still don't want the liability that gos with letting an employee care a firearm.

You're probably right, but I'm still not going to give them my business. Hitting everyone that pulls this stuff in their pocketbooks is possibly the only way they will ever start pushing the politicians and law makers to change things back to respecting and obeying the Bill of Rights.
Browning Hi Power
Colt Commander
Springfield Armory 1911A1
Springfield Armory 1911A1 Compact

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 08:17:43 AM »
Quote from: paladyn
Quote from: New York Hunter

Hitting everyone that pulls this stuff in their pocketbooks is possibly the only way they will ever start pushing the politicians and law makers to change things
Dali Llama say paladyn make excellent point. :-)

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2004, 01:05:38 PM »
If you want to get their attention, deal directly with Pepsico, they are the parent company.  There are numerous businesses under their umbrella, tell them you plan on spending your money elsewhere, which would take in a lot of assorted businesses.  And as far as liability, if they were to say the decision to carry or not was up to the driver, they would be a lot less liable.  Allowing someone to carry, vs mandating it, is a huge difference.  One trial would likely vindicate them.  All they have to say is that they are concerned for the welfare of their drivers.  Of course, in today's PC world, I doubt ANY company would take a stand, but it sure would be nice!

Here's to hoping the guy who saved his own bacon gets a better job with a "Pro-gun" employer!   :wink:

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2004, 01:57:08 PM »
Quote from: papajohn428
Here's to hoping the guy who saved his own bacon gets a better job with a "Pro-gun" employer!   :wink:

PJ
AMEN to that, say Dali Llama!! :-)

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2004, 02:37:38 PM »
I emailed Pizza Hut a scathing letter.
I feel bad for that guy.  He deserves a medal, not a pink slip.
Not that I buy pizza huts pizza all that often, it just got reduced to never again.
Pepsico is indeed the parent company and they are next on my list.
And Dali, of course you are welcome in the rotten apple.
You're being way too sensitive.
Did you take a sensitivity training class during your hiatus ????
:D
Ranger
"HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR RIFLES TODAY ?!"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2004, 02:48:25 PM »
Quote from: RIFLERANGER
Dali, of course you are welcome in the rotten apple.
You're being way too sensitive.
Did you take a sensitivity training class during your hiatus ????
Dali Llama say no, he did not take such class. :-D  :)  :-D Dali say he wish to visit New York City some day, but better half always tell him she afraid of being mugged in streets of NYC. :(