Author Topic: What’s Your.....  (Read 468 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
What’s Your.....
« on: June 08, 2004, 01:09:43 PM »
Alright fellow Blacktail chasers.  What is your BEST EVER Blacktail Buck?  I am not asking for the Boone & Crockette ranking, just point count, spread(width) and weight.  My personal best is a 3x4 buck that has a spread of 24 1/2” and weighted 169 lbs. dressed(gutted(windpipe out and all organs removed) and legs removed at the knees).  Got him during the early season in 1965, Mendocino National Forrest, California.  Still trying to find one bigger.  Seen a few but never during the hunting season.  OK so what is your best?  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
What’s Your.....
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 03:27:51 PM »
LD,

What would you think is the average dressed weight of Blacktail bucks?  For some reason. nothing scientific or anything,  I thought them to be a little smaller than the average whitetail. but any deer dressed out over 150 is a very nice deer where I come from. So congrats on a very very nice deer.  Which rifle from the harem did you use? :)

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Lawdog

What’s Your.....
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 12:38:58 PM »
Long,

I used my father's 1917 Enfield .30-06 I built for him.  Loaded with 150 gr. Nosler Partition handloads.  One shot.  Range was a bit over 200 yards standing at the edge of a clearing.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.