Author Topic: Taking matters into his own hands  (Read 498 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Taking matters into his own hands
« on: May 31, 2004, 03:58:20 AM »
May 27 2004 12:00AM  By    

By MARY KAYE DAVIS
marykaye@register-news.com

BLUFORD — Midway Mart owner Bob Buttrum has seen his fair share of shoplifters and people pumping gas, then driving off without paying.
Late Wednesday morning, it happened again.
Around 11:30 a.m., a black Blazer pulled into his gas station/convenience store on Illinois 15 near Markham City Road and a man got out and starting pumping gasoline.
“He started acting really suspicious and nervous,” Buttrum said. “He would look in the windows of the store and then look down. I turned to my friends in the store and said, ‘Boys, I think he’s getting ready to steal some gas.”
No sooner did he get those words out when he saw the man drop the gas hose and speed out of the parking lot, his vehicle spinning gravel into the air, Buttrum said.
Buttrum called the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department, but was told it didn’t have a squad car in the area.
While most store owners probably would have just thrown up their hands, Buttrum and his two friends took a different route; they jumped in their vehicles and chased the man down.
Armed with cell phones and, in Buttrum’s case, a 9 mm pistol, the three men also sped out of the parking lot and headed south down Markham City Road.
Buttrum said another friend in town, who was standing outside during the chase, estimated the Blazer was traveling about 70 to 90 mph down the road.
“The people in the Blazer were throwing things out of the vehicle left and right as they were heading down the road,” Buttrum said. Finally, one of Buttrum’s friends was able to pass the Blazer and blocked it in. Buttrum and the other friend caught up and did the same.
“At that point, I got out of my vehicle and let the four guys know I did have a gun,” Buttrum said. “I really didn’t know what I was getting into because I knew one of them also had something in their hand, but I couldn’t tell what it was because the windows were all tinted. I ordered the person to put it down, but they were too busy acting crazy, mouthing off and yelling” profanity, the business owner said. “I called the sheriff’s department back and told them I had a gun and I was holding them at bay until someone could arrive.”
Buttrum told the vehicle’s occupants to show what they had in their hands. It turned out to be a cell phone.
The sheriff’s department arrested Larry Mitchell, 18, of 3805 Robin Drive, Mt. Vernon, at 2:22 p.m. Wednesday on a charge of theft of services, a sheriff’s department spokesman said. His bond was set at $1,000; he posted bond and was released.
The three other occupants in the Blazer have not been charged.
Buttrum said even small thefts can drive a small business into the ground, and he wasn’t going to let it happen again.
“Most owners just blow stuff like this off, but I can’t and I won’t,” Buttrum said.
The store owner said he makes about $30 to $35 profit a day on gas sales, working a 14-hour day, and he wasn’t going to let those profits just drive off.
“I’m just tired of it,” the businessman said. “People are running all over small stores. You read in the paper every day that someone drives off without paying for gasoline, but how many times do you read about them catching the person. We just wanted (the thieves) to know that even though we’re a small store about 10 miles out, we’re not going to put up with this kind of stuff. Hopefully, people will get the point.”
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 08:29:13 AM »
So who minded the store while the owner and friends where  chasing the thief??????????
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 12:43:25 PM »
Quote from: jh45gun
So who minded the store while the owner and friends where  chasing the thief??????????
Perhaps store employees mind store while owner gone, conjecture Dali Llama. :?

Offline patm41

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 01:14:08 PM »
Its there own fault,, here they do not turn the pump on unless you pre pay..

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 01:18:43 PM »
Quote from: patm41
Its there own fault,, here they do not turn the pump on unless you pre pay..
Dali Llama say that not be way of life in kinder, more genteel environs. :grin:

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 01:12:09 PM »
Too bad all they can charge this jerk with is theft of services........The shocking part is that the store owner wasn't charged with some idiotic gun crime.  Illinois is about as bass-ackwards as a state can be regarding firearms.  Of course, in the boonies, things are different!

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 01:59:13 PM »
Quote from: papajohn428
 Illinois is about as bass-ackwards as a state can be regarding firearms.  Of course, in the boonies, things are different!

PJ
...and boonies probably better off for it, ask Dali Llama?