Author Topic: Handgun parts from Canada?  (Read 363 times)

Offline unspellable

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Handgun parts from Canada?
« on: June 16, 2004, 08:16:07 AM »
Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on shipping handgun parts from Canada to the US between private citizens?  (Obviously not including frames.)

Offline John Traveler

handgun parts from Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 12:57:23 PM »
A US Customs officer acquaintance described a $100 limit on parts shipped across the border, to include barrels and cylinders.  Amounts greater than that required permits and paperwork approval or goods would be seized.  It was not clear whether it was US or Canadian regulations that imposed this limit.  

There already are US regulations on surplus military PARTS that can come into the country.
John Traveler

Offline dan belisle

Handgun parts from Canada?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 05:43:59 AM »
That $100 limit is a US regulation on parts going out of the country.  There are also restrictions on certain types of parts and accessories (for example mildot scopes) that the beaureaucrats think will get into terrorist hands.  There are no restrictions on the CDN side except for the registered portion of the handgun (the frame).  HTH - Dan

Offline John Traveler

importing parts to US
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 12:07:47 PM »
Thanks, Dan, for clarifying that $100 limit.

I just heard from my US Customs contact.

A modern rifle barrel from Canada coming to the US needs an import permit!  I found a like-new Ruger .45-70 barrel on EBay, and expressed interest.  He directed me to ATF and I called Washington DC (after three other contacts) and was directed to a "Form 6, Part 1".  It is available online at the ATF.gov website.  Find form #5330.38

Processing and approval takes four to six weeks!  No fee.

SHEEESH!  Bringing gun parts home is nothing like the antique rifles I've brought home on business trips anymore!
John Traveler