Author Topic: weatherby 270 mag. which bullet?  (Read 740 times)

Offline shootdonniebrook

• Trade Count: (0)
weatherby 270 mag. which bullet?
« on: February 25, 2004, 01:02:34 PM »
I need some input on which bullet to shoot in my new encore, it's chambered for the weatherby 270 mag. I have never owned this cal. and don't know which bullet or weight to go with.I't will be used for whitetail hunting in tennessee. Shots are from 50 to 150 yards on deer from 120 to 200 lbs. I was looking at the barnes 130 and 140 grain barnes bullet. Weatherby factory loads this bullet. I want a BIG hole in them sholders! :?

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 04:57:35 PM »
I thought I heard/read that the Barnes X caused more than their share of copper fouling . . . though I could be wrong.  I am a Nosler Partition fan myself, but am going to try the Hornady Interbonds.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 05:26:35 PM »
While I don't own a rifle in the caliber if I did I think the Nosler 150 PT would likely be my one and only bullet for it assuming of course it shot well. I sure like it for the .270 Win. It and the Hornady 140 BTSP are all I use in it and with the greater velocity I think the Nosler would be my only bullet.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline shootdonniebrook

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 05:20:38 AM »
Greybeard, Most of my shots are pretty close 30 to 100 yards, so most of the time I try to put the bullet in them sholders, is the nosler up to that task? Were getting slamed with snow up here right nowI live in carter county tennessee, the very tip of tenn. Thanks for the info. Iv'e got to start reloading, them weatherby shells are expensive!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 12:09:19 PM »
Yes most definitely it is up to the task. The Nosler PT NOT the BT is the original premium bullet. It is still the one all others strive to beat or at least match. I trust it explicitly.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline supermag 445

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 07:48:11 AM »
shoot,  if you start to reload then try the barnes tsx in 140 gr it will take both shoulders out with no problem.  I am loading them in my 270 weatherby mag now.  Good luck

Brian
Dan Wesson Rules!!

Offline shootdonniebrook

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 10:54:02 AM »
supermag, I don't reload or know anyone who does. I saw the new barnes bullets, but i havent seen where weatherby is loading them yet, or anyone else for the 270 weatherby.Keep me posted, i would like to see how they do on game. :D

Offline supermag 445

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 08:38:46 AM »
shoot I will keep you posted, I hadsurgery on my hand this past wednesday so I am not reloading for a while.  I think other than weathrby is loading the barnes tsx like fedeal orsomething so just search for  ammo makers and see what they are loading.  Handloaded the 140gr tsx should get us 3300+ fps. Should  be hell on anything in NA. :-D

Brian
Dan Wesson Rules!!

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 01:28:41 PM »
shootdonniebrook,

I want a BIG hole in them sholders!

I own a .270 Weatherby Magnum and if you go blasting a Barnes or any other bullet through the shoulders of a deer(120 to 200 lbs.) at the ranges(50 to 150 yards) you stated you are not planning on eating very much of the front end of those deer.  To keep meat damage down aim for the heart/lung and use a good premium bullet like a Barnes TSX or Nosler Partition.  The only game that requires a shoulder shot is something that can bite you back.  Small groups and tight lines to you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline shootdonniebrook

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 05:59:16 PM »
I just bought a box of weatherby 270 mag. shells, they have the barnes bullet in them and are 140gr. The reason I sholder shoot them is because I need them to drop on impact. If they run I'm in for a very long drag stright up a mountain. What bullet and weight do you use?

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 09:08:16 AM »
shootdonniebrook,

For all the deer(both Mule and Blacktail in the weight class from dinky to over 350 lbs.) that I have ever taken with my .270 Weatherby Magnum I use 130 gr. Nosler Partitions.  The Nosler Partition is my bullet of choice, and has been for over 40 years, but I am now loading Barnes bullets(trying the TSX at the moment but have yet to go hunting with them) and getting some great results.

I always shoot for the heart/lung area unless the angle was such I couldn't help but hit a front leg.  The furthest I ever had to follow a buck(large 4x5 Mule Deer that dressed out well over 275 lbs. over in Nevada) was one that went about 70 feet after taking a hit in the lungs.  Range was about 225(+/-) yards.  Most deer hit with the .270 Weatherby drop on the spot even from a lung hit.  Of the deer that I have hit in the front shoulder with .270 Weatherby bone fragments and bloodshot meat was extensive, causing me to loose at least one whole quarter of the deer.  Good luck with your Encore and keep us informed on how it works for you.  Small groups and tight lines to you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.