Author Topic: just tried my 30-06  (Read 803 times)

Offline kysingleshot

• Trade Count: (0)
just tried my 30-06
« on: June 09, 2004, 09:25:11 AM »
I just took out my new 30-06 handirifle this morning and put the first rounds through it.  I had never fired a 30-06 before and was pretty worried about the recoil.  Boy, was I mistaken!  It thumped me back, but nothing like I was expecting.  Of course, I was also shooting 110 gr. bullets, but they were the cheapest box that was not military surplus.  They didn't group well at all, but I expected that being I was using cheap rounds.  So here is my question.
Since I have read that these barrels usually like ~200 rounds to tighten up, I was thinking of just shooting about a box of cheap stuff a day until I reach that number and then worry about sighting in well.  Does this sound like a good idea, or is this idea somehow flawed?
Another question, if I may.  The man who sold me the gun said that he wouldn't recommend shooting military surplus ammo due to, I believe he said, ejection problems.  Does any have anything to add to or contradict this?
Thanks to all,
Ky
Submarines: MANY FEAR THE DEEP, OTHERS EMBRACE IT!

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
just tried my 30-06
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 10:04:36 AM »
your more than likely going to have chase sticking problems no matter what type of shells you shoot , one thing i do is keep one pice of my cleaning rod at my bench and when i get a stuck shell just drop it down the tube and it knocks out the shell.
 as for shooting milsurp for break-in not a thing wrong with it although i did hear that handi's start to tighten up at around 500rds (i got about 450 though my 30-06 and the groups just keep getting better). just try not to shoot very fast . let the barrel cool between shots ,its when you get a barrel real hot and keep on shooting that hurts barrel life the most. and you may find that you gun likes milsurp mine did alright with them (about 2 inches). well whatever you do have fun with the new toy.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
just tried my 30-06
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 10:23:47 AM »
Most times the ejection problem can be completely cleared with a good chamber polish job.  It's also recommended to clean the ejector and it's parts.  De-burring of these might be necessary too on some cases.

I polished the chamber an cleaned out my 223 before firing a shot ans it has never stuck a case.  Some have been reloads that flattened pimers, so not all were mild loads.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
just tried my 30-06
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 11:03:26 AM »
Most military 30-06 ammo is loaded to relatively low pressure and should not, in and of itself, result in case sticking problems.   Remember there are lots of 1903 Springfields out there.  They are 100 years old!

Quality of the surplus ammo is another question.

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
just tried my 30-06
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 03:10:10 PM »
kysingleshot;
welcome aboard!
its good to see another (06)handi owner here.
the bullets you were shooting were probably on the light side at 110gr.
mine likes anything in the 150-165 grain range cloverleafing one hole at 50yards and about 1 inch groups at 100.
hand loads will shoot better than that with a little twicking.
these barrels are a bit heat sensitive you really need to let it cool between shots.
i have shot some mil-sur and have never had a spent round to fail to eject
but the mil-sur didnt group very well. (3-4inch groups at 100yrds)
the key to no ejector problems is to keep the chamber really clean.

i think (shooting in) the barrel is a a bit overrated mine shot really good right out of the box.....but each gun/barrel is different.

sorry about being so long winded here but i could talk all day bout my 06 handi.......i really love that gun!!!

TCB

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
30-06
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 05:41:45 AM »
Tcallbuilder,
I got my 30-06 in March, and it seems to like the Remington 150 grain Core Lokt. I think you are right about the heavier bullets being more accurate. Mine also shot good right out of the box, I guess I got a good one :grin:
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"