Author Topic: the .280 loks sweet!!!!!!!! but i do need info??  (Read 868 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
the .280 loks sweet!!!!!!!! but i do need info??
« on: June 08, 2004, 09:24:13 AM »
i've got a job this summer and i'll get about 380-400$$ for spending[the rest goes to the savings :evil: ] i thougt about a bow but then i saw a pic of the NEF :D  :D  :D  synthetic stocked .280 rem  :eek:  :eek:. this gun looks SWEET!!![as all the other NEF-H&Rs] i like the .280 because it can be loaded with every thing from 100gr varmint bullets to mach grade serrias and every thing in between :eek:  :eek: . it's capable of dropping a deer at 400 yds[i'll keep mine under 250 :wink: ] it can take every thing from 'yote's to elk :eek: . and best of all its 280$$ with the synthetic and blued steel!!!. the rest goes to a good quality bushnell[i can get bushnell and tasco whole sale :)  :) ] 3-9 0r a 4-12x40 trophy model. what do y'all think of the .280?? is the recoil worse than a .12 ga 3'' shooting 1 1/4 oz of steel shot in a five lb shotgun?? i would like any info 8)  8)
later :D buckslayer :wink:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
the .280 loks sweet!!!!!!!! but i do need i
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 09:56:27 AM »
I have a .280 and it is a great gun. Recoil is much less than a 5 lb. 12 gauge. If you reload it is the gun to get. There are a lot of great .284 ( 7mm) bullets to choose from....Another option would be the 7mm-08, however if you relaod get the .280, more powder capacity to play with....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 09:57:27 AM »
Buckslayer.
If you left out all the graffiti, perhaps one could read your post without an eye sore.

The 280 with a 150 gr  bullet at 2800 ft/second MV and a 8.5lbs gun will have 16.4 ft/lbs of recoil.

The 12 gauge 3" in a 5lbs shotgun and 1-1/4oz steel at 1400 ft/sec will have 44.68 ft/lbs. or nearly 3 times as much kick.

The 280 is a very versatile caliber one of my favorite. Plenty of power, flat shooting and a big selection of bullets for any game. Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 10:08:38 AM »
I also have a 280 barrel for my Ultra and its one of my most accurate barrels.  The Rem. corelokts chrono 2976 fps. with the 26" tube,and average 1.25" at 100 yds. I've reloaded some for it, but I've only tried 1 powder and it beats the Rem. ammo slightly.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline buckslayer

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 10:12:52 AM »
thanks for the info :-D  :)  the emoticons are a problem of mine .........really bad when i talk about H&R/NEF......... thanks for the info obout the .280.......lookslike my man :-D  :-D ...

Offline like2shoot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 05:08:50 PM »
I shot my synthetic 280 Sunday for the first time. I used only reloads. The scope I used is new, but will not hold a zero. The recoil is not bad at all. I am going to change scopes and try the range again. I am also returning  the scope under warranty.
Shoot straight , shoot often.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 07:51:11 PM »
like2shoot.
What kind of scope is it that you have trouble with. I need to buy a scope for the 25-06 Ultra. Natchez has a Tasco world class on sale for $45 bucks.
I am wondering if that scope is any good for that kind of money. But it can't be any worse than a Burris.

I send a 6x Burris back twice, first time they fixed the clicks and upgraded the scope to their latest model. Now I can't get it on target with the same mounts and rings and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the scope. This is the second Burris I had trouble with it too went back twice before they send me a new scope. Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline like2shoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 12:50:30 PM »
Fred, mine is a Redfield tracker 4-16 AO, purchased new from Natchez. They have lowered the price of them since I bought mine. I planned on using it on vermin and later in the year for deer in the fields. They have a limited lifetime warranty , I will find out if they stand behind their product.
Shoot straight , shoot often.

Offline buckslayer

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 02:10:56 PM »
thanks for the great info :-D  :-D .Fred M, the tasco world class is a great scope fot the$$$$$. i have one on my H :-D R huntsman .50. its taking abuot 30 rnds and stillhas the perfect zero :lol:  :lol: . once again thanks for the info :-D  :-D

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
Burris scope
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2004, 07:06:12 AM »
We have a Burris scope on the .280 Handi and it's served well.  Of course it's always put in "dry dock" between shoots and hasn't been bumped or battered yet.  So far it's served well and held its zero.  It's nice to know that if you persist, they will replace the scope.  I used to use strictly Redfields (in the 70's) and once sent a 3-9 variable back to them with what was likely WD 40 penetration.  I didn't know it's potential for damaging scopes back then and we used a lot of it because of the humidity down here.  At any rate, Redfield didn't bat an eye and replaced it free.  That kind of customer oriented business isn't around as much as it used to be.  With the big brand name optics manufacturers, my notion is that they have lost their minds.  I can't see paying more for the optics than for the rifle.  I reserve the right to change my mind, but, for now, I'm going to hold my ground on the rifle >scope output.
Everybody changes their minds sometimes but a fool and a mule.

Deceased

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2004, 07:40:41 AM »
Quote from: Fred M
like2shoot.
What kind of scope is it that you have trouble with. I need to buy a scope for the 25-06 Ultra. Natchez has a Tasco world class on sale for $45 bucks.
I am wondering if that scope is any good for that kind of money. But it can't be any worse than a Burris.

I send a 6x Burris back twice, first time they fixed the clicks and upgraded the scope to their latest model. Now I can't get it on target with the same mounts and rings and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the scope. This is the second Burris I had trouble with it too went back twice before they send me a new scope. Fred M.
I have a Tasco on one of my rifles and haven't had any trouble with it...BUT...reciently I have purchased two Swift scopes......one is a 3-9x40 Premier and the other is 3-9x32. I have not gotten to shoot either but the quality is definately there and I have no doubt they will work and they are crystal clear!!. I paid 78 bucks for the 3-9x32 and 105 for the 3-9x40. Both are Waterproof and carry a lifetime warrenty.. There are a couple of guys on here that have high praises for them. I got the best price from a Camera store!! I'll give ya the name if your interested...
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05