Author Topic: Let's select a new handgun for the military.  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Dragon31

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
9 mm vs .45
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2004, 06:49:24 PM »
Myronman3
I think that what I said is, "I would be impressed" meaning talking to some one with first hand experience rather than having someone tell me what they heard from someone else. It would also give your arguments a greater measure of credibility, and establish a common ground to discuss the merits of who should carry what, which caliber would work best, what current Doctrine is, what the TOE currently calls for, and a host of other really important issues to consider in the adoption of a new military handgun.
You chose instead to attack me, not to provide a platform for discission, which leads me to suspect we have no common ground for discussion.  You are right about one thing as I earned rank, I got further from the action and had a heck of lot more paper work to do.  Thank goodness for the 71L's. that work in an infantry division TOC.
As for as hunting goes, I've hunting and fished most of North American from Hudson Bay South into Mexico and every thing east of the Mississippi, never out west or Alaska (hunted squirrels yesterday in Ky with down loaded .223 contender pistol).  I've hunting Europe for Ducks in Northern Italy and Chamois in Bavaria.  I've been hunting for the last 52 years (three years before that I was a Beagle for my Dad).  I reload for a host (over 200) of rifles, pistols, shotguns and Sub Machine guns which I legally own.  I have never killed one of the great Bears, but have taken my share of the little Blacks ones (no challenge).  I consider Moose much more difficult to kill than most people realize.  I dislike the Dillion 1050 and 750 (which were well meaning gifts) and use a single stage press for most of my reloading (average 5000 rounds a year for the last 10 years).  I managed all of this, three college degrees, a full time school administrative position and a lot of years in the Active Army and National Guard, because I had a great wife and three super kids and Uncle who owned a private hunting lodge and a Dad who took me ever where he went to hunt and fish.  
The best wisdom that my father ever gave me is one that I disregard on this site.  He one told me that trying to discuss combat with someone who has not participate is like discussing intercourse with a virgin.  I was seventeen or eighteen at the time, we later talked.
Am I opinionated? You bet but I have real reasons for my opinions.  I am not a voyeur of life, I am a participant.
Sorry you feel offended.  You want to discuss hunting bullets or something else?

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Let's select a new handgun for the military
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2004, 07:53:37 PM »
look.  my main point was that while reasonable to ask for firsthand experience instead of what is read or told;  it is unreasonable to imply that others dont know because they have different life experiences than another.   the way your post was worded lead me to believe that you were implying that unless someone could out top you, then they couldnt talk. at least thats the way i interpted it.    
   asking the extent of someone's military experiences is highly personal.   good times for sure; but alot of pain and loss also.  i think that is true for everyone who has served honorably.    
   i wasnt impling that you didnt know the difference variblies in bullets can make; simply pointing out that military experience isnt the be all end all- it leaves alot untaught.   i am sure you have learned alot yourself about the world while hunting and shooting.    
   now i dont claim to know alot.  but i do know what i know.   and i dare say that compared to the average american i have done alot and seen quite a bit; and i have learned some along the way.    and i know that there have been folks that have experience things i havent; and i trust when folks that raised me tell me something important (in regards to 9 vs. 45).   but it is a crazy world and everyone isnt going to have the same experiences.    i can accept this.  
    i dont wish anything bad your way; and sorry if i came at you with both barrels.  it wasnt my intent to malign you.   when i said, "your ego, willingness to look down your nose at others, and lack of respect make me doubt your claims."    i was out of line.  i aint perfect, either.   i suspect we probably are more alike than either of us know.  
   as far as being opinionated, all of us here are!  so you fit right in.  
 hey, it is reallllly late here; i got to crash.   ill check back in the a.m.  take care, guys.

Offline 45LC-Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Let's select a new handgun for the military
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2004, 02:52:27 AM »
Well, back to the question at hand.

I'm with Donna and think that a Para Ordnance TAC-S LDA would be nice. The old GI single stack would fit nice instead of the double stack for me and most other folks be it male of female.

I just like anything in .452 or .451 caliber. If my life might depend on punching through a car door a .45 would be nice. A 9mm might deafen them as it bounced off of the metal on the opposite side but deaf folks can shoot back.