Author Topic: Any good books on Field Dressing a Deer  (Read 614 times)

Offline mapanggulo

• Trade Count: (0)
Any good books on Field Dressing a Deer
« on: May 17, 2004, 06:05:43 PM »
Me & my buddy would like to go Deer hunting, even got some land north of us that we can hunt on that has lots of Deer and Antelope. The only problem we have is neither of us have ever Field Dressed a Deer or Quartered it. There any good books or websites to teach a new hunter how too ?

Offline Rummer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 07:11:28 PM »
If you look in the book section of your local Gander Mountain (or even walmart), you should be able to find a copy of "Dressing and cooking wild game". It has color photos of dressing, skinning, and butchering deer and is not a bad resource.

John

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 11:57:07 AM »
Cabelas sells a double set of videos on field dressing and Full butchering.  I know its not a book but it was a real big help to my buddy and I.  We did our first deer this year with good reaults.  It helped being able to run up and watch a part of the video when we got stuck.
here it is:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0005991613056a&navAction=push&navCount=5&indexId=&podId=0005991&catalogCode=QR&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true

Hope this helps out.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 12:07:45 PM »
The following link on Jackson's Archery Hunting site has photos and instructions for a very good method.  Take a look and consider giving it a try.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/elk.html

"The following links describe how to quarter an elk(or any large animal) without gutting it. Through pictures and accompanying text provided by 'Bugle' from the Bowsite this process is described in detail. This process saves alot of effort in the field without much if any, loss of edible meat. "

Offline summitx

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 03:49:08 AM »
here is a link to a site I found, and they show some pretty good pictures to follow along

http://www.huntingnut.com/faq/fielddress/fielddress.html

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 07:04:06 AM »
I have also seen flash cards at Gander Mountain that give details on field dressing and quartering. They are both pretty simple process and cards that I saw were more than adequate to guide any beginner.

A word of caution. Make sure you have a very sharp knife to make the job go easier, but be very carefull making your cuts. Especially opening the rib cage and separating quarters if you decide to quarter them in the field. Its real easy to slip with the knife and with all that energy behind it (sometimes takes a good yank to get through the ribs), it could really cut ya bad.