Author Topic: Older 3x9 Simmons  (Read 677 times)

Offline gewehrfreund

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Older 3x9 Simmons
« on: June 15, 2004, 02:30:55 AM »
I just picked up a Simmons Model 1012 3-9x40 that I just couldn't pass up at $15. This is an older scope (1980's?) but was made in Japan, so at the very least it ought to be good trading material. Does anyone know anything about exactly when this was made and how good they were? Strobel's book does not list this model for some reason. I've found his book has a lot of omissions and errors.

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Older 3x9 Simmons
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 03:44:29 AM »
There's only 2 problems with that scope: 1) it's old, and 2) it's a Simmons. :)

No, seriously, I may not be a Simmons fan, but I guess it might have some kind of "value" to it.  On the other hand, just because you bought it for $15 doesn't necessarily mean that you got a great deal.  Why?  Well, I have seen top-of-the-line Simmons scopes fail (and I mean more than just a few).  As such, even if you got it for free means that it still is might be worthless because it doesn't work.  From a pure "collector's" approach, I honestly don't know what it's worth.

Zachary

Offline gewehrfreund

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Older 3x9 Simmons
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 05:56:38 AM »
I suppose any used scope could end up being inoperable, but I only bite on those that appear OK and I've had pretty good luck with the Japanese Simmons' in the past. And if all else fails, they do have a warrenty policy, so I'm not too afraid I'll get soaked on my $15 investment.

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Older 3x9 Simmons
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 09:06:41 AM »
Nah...I don't think you'd get too soaked on a $15 investment either. :wink:

Zachary