Author Topic: cylinder pin shoots loose  (Read 425 times)

Offline Don McCullough

• Trade Count: (0)
cylinder pin shoots loose
« on: July 05, 2004, 05:13:52 PM »
I have an AWA SAA copy.  Have trouble with the cylinder pin in that it starts coming out when you shoot it.  You never know when and I know when it's "latched" properly.  

Seen on the internet--forget where now--there's a guy who makes these pins and swears they will not come out from recoil (I guess) of shooting.

Geeze, I've had several single-action handguns over the years and never this problem!

Thanks,

Don McCullough

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 08:11:44 PM »
http://www.beltmountain.com/
best money i ever spent on my ruger

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 09:05:07 AM »
In addition to Belt Mtn cylinder base pins, in my Rugers I also replace the cylinder base pin lock spring with a heavier one from Wolff. Consider that for your Colt clone.
Tom

Offline magooch

Re: cylinder pin shoots loose
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 03:44:21 AM »
Quote from: Don McCullough
I have an AWA SAA copy.  Have trouble with the cylinder pin in that it starts coming out when you shoot it.  You never know when and I know when it's "latched" properly.  

Seen on the internet--forget where now--there's a guy who makes these pins and swears they will not come out from recoil (I guess) of shooting.

Geeze, I've had several single-action handguns over the years and never this problem!

Thanks,

Don McCullough

Hi Don,  I don't have the answer to your question, but at the risk of being nosy, are you by any chance a retired judge?
Swingem

Offline Malamute

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 05:43:53 AM »
Don, I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk that would jump the pin forward when shot sometimes. The 'smith that fixed it said he drilled the retaining cross-bolt hole slightly deeper, it was not engaging enough of the base pin to stay secure. I've seen a couple that needed a new spring as well. I didn't know you could get a heavier spring, but that might be worth looking into.