Author Topic: New Bushnell Firefly  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
New Bushnell Firefly
« on: January 13, 2003, 03:14:38 AM »
Bushnell has just come out with a new reticle called the "Firefly."

This new reticle is essentially a regular duplex-type reticle (which Bushnell calls "Multi-X") except that it is illuminated - somewhat.

Rather than being illuminated electronically, the new firefly is not really illuminated, but rather "glow-in-the-dark."  Bushnell put a special compound on the reticle that glows when light is shined onto it.  Bushnell says that you should put up a flashlight to it for about 2 minutes and it should have a glow for about an hour.

Pros - 1) no need to worry about electronics failing on you, or batteries going out, 2) costs about $30 more than regular reticles, compared to about $100 more for electronic reticles.

Cons - 1) how long will this compound last? 2) what happens if you don't have a flashlight?  3) the glow gradually diminishes, thus is never constant.

This new reticle is only available, thus far, on the Elite 3200s.

I'm not sure about this system.  :?  What do you guys think of the idea?

Zachary

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
New Bushnell Firefly
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 06:25:09 AM »
Well until I see it and try it I'd have to say I'll pass. Still it might have some merit and I'll just have to see I guess. Dunno why the ambient light coming in during the day wouldn't be adequate to do the illuminating and if so when that stops you're less than an hour from darkness anyway. Fading as it gets darker could be a plus as too bright is worse than no brightness at all.

If they are using a radioactive isotope and I suspect they are it should last longer than you do.

I'll be contacting my POC at Bushnell before end of month to make arrangements for some of the lower lines to test and will ask for one of these also.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jamie

• Contributor
New Bushnell Firefly
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 06:39:28 AM »
You nailed it GB, it is supposed to fade.  If it stayed bright for long amounts of time then the glow from the reticle would not allow your eye to see past it and at what you are trying to shoot.  Also it doesn't glow brightly at anytime and it is made of the same substance as on most watch faces to make the hands or numbers glow.  Now for the real question, does it work?  I have no idea!  Will I purchase one?  Probably not, haven't really had that problem.
AMMO...
LiFe, Liberty and the Pursuit of all those that threaten it!

Offline jamie

• Contributor
New Bushnell Firefly
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2003, 06:43:28 AM »
Oh, GB, it's not radioactive.  There is an article on it in Jan 03 Guns & Ammo.
AMMO...
LiFe, Liberty and the Pursuit of all those that threaten it!

Offline Robert

I just read the article ......
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2003, 07:01:14 AM »
...It will certainly be the next scope I buy.  It fits my needs perfectly.  Every animal I have taken has been close to sunrise or sunset.  I passed on a shot last year at 40 yds for the very reason that I couldnt see the crosshairs, but got him the next morning.  I think it is a great idea.
....make it count

Offline Zachary

New Bushnell Firefly
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2003, 09:18:05 AM »
Radioactive?  Maybe we should send them to Sadam in Iraq.  :twisted:

Zachary