Author Topic: BP Pistol questions  (Read 867 times)

Offline halfacop

• Trade Count: (0)
BP Pistol questions
« on: June 08, 2004, 01:00:23 PM »
Hey everyone. I have a TC SCout Pistol I am looking at selling. What is the regs concerning handing over ownership of these guns? I know when I bought this one that I needed to take it down and register it with the Local Cop Shop. But I constantly see adds saying BP can be shipped direct no FFL. Is it just a case that they don't regulate the shipping of these and its up to the seller and buyer to make sure it gets switched over?

Offline John Traveler

shipping black powder guns
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 01:46:21 PM »
Federal firearms law does not apply to blackpowder (muzzleloading) guns.  They can be bought and sold freely by anyone allowed to own them and can be shipped across state lines.  The usual rules prohibiting gun ownership by ex-felons, drug users, mental case, etc applies.

However, the Feds and some states DO regulate the sale of muzzleloaders that use modern components (shotgun primers, saboted bullets, propellant pellets).  Cabelas for example, will only ship their BP guns to FFL holders in certain states.

HTH
John
John Traveler

Offline John Traveler

BP guns
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 01:48:34 PM »
OOPS...

I just noticed that you are located in Michgan.  THAT is one of the states that regulates purchase and posession of BP guns.
John Traveler

Offline halfacop

BP Pistol questions
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 01:44:28 AM »
Thanks for the info. I appreciate your response. If you know anyone that is looking for a scout pistol let em know I have one in MINT shape. Thanks again.  Half

Offline 50 cal

BP Pistol questions
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 06:41:13 AM »
Michigan now allows BP to be bought, sold and owned without the involment of a FFL person or safety inspection.
The law went into effect June 4 2004

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
BP Pistol questions
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 05:16:39 AM »
halfacop:

I have a .54 TC Scout that I bought on Auctionarms for $250...and it too was in mint condition.  You should be able to fetch that easily.  Glad I bought mine...few still out there for sale.

Not many BP handguns you can load like a BP rifle...punches BIG holes and throw LOTS of smoke!  A real head-turner at the range.  I'd love to have another one but the "boss" just doesn't see things the same way I do... :lol:

Good Luck and Be Safe!  ...Chris   :D
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
BP Pistol questions
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 10:36:21 AM »
The Feds do regulate some muzzleloaders, but it is not because they use shotgun primers, pellets, or sabots.
The Feds consider a muzzleloader to be a modern firearm if it can be easily converted to shoot modern metallic cartridges.
Thus, the TC Encore with a .50 muzzleloader barrel is considered a modern firearm. The TC Omega, which shoots the same ammo and primer, is a muzzleloader. The Encore is designed to interchange barrels with a number of modern centerfire barrels, thus the Encore receiver would need to be shipped to a FFL.
The Savage, which shoots shotgun primers, and smokeless powder, is considered a muzzleloader not a modern firearm.
Sorry I don't know how this relates to the Scout, don't know what that is.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline whitfang

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Picture?
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 09:49:28 AM »
Could you post a picture?
Encore / Mathews / Rem870 / Savage 10ML