Author Topic: Colorado Bowhunting in Jeopardy  (Read 543 times)

Offline SoftPoint

• Trade Count: (0)
Colorado Bowhunting in Jeopardy
« on: July 02, 2004, 10:31:30 AM »
A recent proposal by a Colorado wildlife commissioner, who may have a hidden agenda, Is threatening to eliminate over the counter elk archery licenses in our state. It would make archery hunting in Colorado by draw only. This was not supported by the public, the hunting/conservation groups, hunters or the state wildlife biologists, and all were suprised by this recommendation. I am trying to flood the governors office with emails protesting this move by one of his appointed commissioners. Please send an email to him opposing this. I am printing the letter that I wrote, and give permission to anyone to copy and paste the letter for use in there own emails. Here it goes:

email address: governorowens@state.co.us

Subject: Colorado Wildlife Commission Complaint

To Governor Owens,

I am writting this email to express my concern and to complain and ask for your intervention on an issue that recently occurred at the recent Colorado Wildlife Commission meeting. As you may well know, the process for setting the next 5 years of big game hunting seasons is currently underway. Through overwhelming public comment, and by recommendation of the state's biologists, as well as the states overpopulation of elk, it was recommended that the state's big game archery seasons, be left as they were from the previous 5 years. This archery season consists of a 30 day season from the last weekend in August to the last weekend in September, with a mostly over the counter license availability. This recommendation by the state's biologist was also back by an overwhelming majority of hunters surveyed and by the states largest organized hunting/conservation organization: The Colorado Bowhunters Association.

At the last Wildlife Commision meeting, it was suggested by one of the commissioners that the big game archery season license allocation go to a totally limited drawing system. This system would severely impact the amount of archery licenses distributed, and result in a drop of hunting opportunity for our states bowhunters. It is overwhelmingly not supported by the states conservation organizations, the public, and the states biologists. Yet a commissioner with an alternate agenda, has proposed this alternative with no biological substance to back it up.

As you know, the states hunters and conservation organizations, particularly the Colorado Bowhunters Association were always very supportive of you in the past, and I ask for your intervention in this issue, so that the states hunters, conservation organizations, and biologists voice be heard and leave the archery hunting season as "Status Quo"

Thank You,

(Your Name and email Address(for a reply))

Offline Lawdog

Colorado Bowhunting in Jeopardy
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 10:00:41 AM »
SoftPoint,

My e-mail is on the way and so are those of my wife and children.  I have also posted it at our gun club for those that are interested there.  Hang in there.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline oso45-70

western big game hunting
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 06:59:54 PM »
Softpoint
you will get support from my people here in New Mexico, I will be on the phone the first thing in the morning to all my running mates and we will see if we can help you, We have some of the same things going on here from time to time, Its a never ending thing,WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU.
Thats our state GUBMENT..Good luck Softpoint we will do what we can.
               Stay Safe......Joe...............................
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain