Author Topic: Rifled slug barrel ?'s  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Extremesolo

• Trade Count: (4)
Rifled slug barrel ?'s
« on: July 09, 2004, 07:58:05 AM »
I need some input regarding a replacement rifled slug barrel.  I have ordered a .243 handi and I want a rifled slug barrel to go with it.  Will the tracker II rifled slug barrels fit the SB2 frame or will I need an ultra 20 gague heavy barrel?  Also I would appreciate any input regarding the performance of these barrels and which one is recommended.  12 or 20 gague and tracker II or ultra?  Most shots are under 125 yds so either gague is capable just want to know which is more accurate or user friendly.   Thanks,  Andrew
Stop telling God how big your problems are, and start telling your problems how big your God is!

Offline MTNMAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Rifled slug barrel ?'s
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 08:28:39 AM »
Any shotgun barrel will fit the rifle recievers, except the 12gauge ultra which is a 10gauge barrel with a 12gauge bore. So your limited to either the 12 or 20 gauge TrackerII or the 20 Ultra...All are exceedingly accurate and all will do the job... I prefer the 20's basically 'cause that's all I've ever used for deer here in my part of NY State...MTNMAN :grin:
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Rifled slug barrel ?'s
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 11:08:47 AM »
One thing to add, the 243 probably has the monte carlo stock for using a scope.  If you get the tracker barrel you might not be able to see the irons sights, or atleast not comfortibly.  You can get a straight wood or synthetic stock from NEF for a little over $30.  If you get the ultra barrel with uses a scope the monte carlo stock is perfect.

My advise is usually if the slug gun is a carry around all day, stalking, deer drives, etc get the tracker II.  It's much lighter to be packing around all day.  If you're hunting from a stand get the ultra.  The extra weight of the barrel makes it extremely steady and deadens the recoil.  My 10lb (maybe 11lb) ultra 20 with wood stocks and steel bar in the stock recoils like a 223.  Very nice when shooting up in a tree!   :wink:

If you decide on the tracker I'd still get the 20.  If you've never shot 12 gauge deer slugs out of a 5 1/2lb shotgun you should go try it before getting the tracker barrel.  It's pretty stiff.  I shoot 12 gauge slugs out my 6lb pardner when the weathers really bad or I have alot of walking and you take a step back when you shoot it.  For hunting it's tolerable, but sighting in is a real bear!!!!

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
Rifled slug barrel ?'s
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 05:30:21 PM »
Scruffy, get the 20 ga. .It's a dead on accurate shotgun, plus use the 2 3/4 win sabots BRI. Plenty of medicine for deer. Just my opinion, I had the 12 ga. tracker but the recoil is a real paul bunyon gun. My little brother now has my 12 ga. tracker and I'm the proud owner of a 20 ga. tracker :-D  :-D  it will also be used within the treeline.  just my 2 cents worth.          
                                                                                        Tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
Rifled slug barrel ?'s
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 05:34:46 PM »
Sorry,
I mean extremesolo.get the 20 ga. tracker. sorry, another senior moment :roll:
                                                                     tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
Rifled slug barrel ?'s
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 06:21:41 AM »
extremesolo
    If you decide to get the 12 Ga Tracker II bbl get a synthetic stock and forend also.  You can get almost a pound of lead into the forend cavities which really slows down the barrel whip. That, some weight in the butt coupled with the recoil pad and it comes close to being manageable.  Mine is extremely accurate with handloaded Lyman slugs but 10 is about all you'll want to shoot in a day.

Offline Extremesolo

• Trade Count: (4)
Rifled slug barrel ?'s
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 07:01:49 AM »
Is it possible to have a scope mounted on a tracker II barrel?  They are significantly less expensive than the ultra barrel but I want to install a scope and not use the open sights.    Thanks,    Andrew
Stop telling God how big your problems are, and start telling your problems how big your God is!

Offline Leftoverdj

Rifled slug barrel ?'s
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 08:06:28 AM »
Cost you more to get a Tracker II 20 gauge barrel scoped than it will to just buy the Ultra 20 gauge barrel. Drilling and tapping the Tracker II 12 gauge barrel is entirely too risky. imho. We keep getting folks who have had it done and are happy, but we also get folks who have shot a screw through a scope. Peep sights are doable, and there is a thread on how I did it.

Might get some pictures added to that, today.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Rifled slug barrel ?'s
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 10:32:15 AM »
shot a screw thru a scope??? Thats interesting DJ, I was on the old site also and have never heard of that happening. I would be interested in some documentation on that because this the first time I have even heard of it. So if there is anyone out there who has had it happen to THEM, (as opposed to having heard someone refer to someone who has heard of it happening, in effect, rumor(s), please let us know the particulars of your occurance. I have heard of people drilling right thru the chamber and tapping the hole!!! (not to good). In my case my gunsmith enlarged the screws and holes in the scope rail to accommodate 8/40's from the standard 6/48's. He them bottom tapped the new hole he drilled in, BUT NOT THROUGH(!!!), the chamber area, and flattened the bottom of screws then checked thier length to get MAXIMUM thread contact and epoxied the screws AND the scope rail to the gun. It is now one solid unit with no possibility of any problems. I would be interested in first had accounts of screws through scopes and how the mounting was accomplished...Thanks to all....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Rifled slug barrel ?'s
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 05:10:14 AM »
I'd like to know the difference in barrel thickness at the chamber between the ultra 20 and tracker 20.  At the chamber both barrels are untappered so I suspect they are the same.  

I'll try and remember to put a micrometer on my ultra 20 barrel tonight if someone else would be so kind to measure their tracker 20 barrel.  

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
Rifled slug barrel ?'s
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 06:30:16 AM »
Extremesolo
   My Tracker II has a scope mounted without drilling a hole in the barrel.  It's not easy but has held for three years/several hundred rounds.  I started by silver soldering a recoil lug over the chamber. The lug is 1/4"wide, 1" long and about 3/16 high. Next cut a matching recess in the bottom of the scope mount. File the front inch or so of the mount back to match the bottom and taper it slightly into the center of the mount top.  Drill and tap a couple of #6 holes into these filed flats. JB weld the mount to the barrel extending the JB weld to the front of the mount to fill in where the barrel starts to taper to the rear sight.  You can shape this so it looks like a 1/4 rib.  When hardened wrap a steel band as wide as the flats you filed on the mount around the barrel mark the tapped holes and drill the band which can then be secured to the mount.  I put a tensioning block under the band at the bottom of the barrel to snug it up.  The band and recoil lug take the recoil without any holes in the barrel at all.
Best

Offline Tom H.

• Avid Poster
Rifled slug barrel ?'s
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 05:22:03 PM »
Hello all

Mounted Warn rings and bases on my 20 ga Tracker II on the drill press at home.  Took about 2 hours and the only problem was that the lump that holds the barrel to the reciever wasn't true with the sights.  Ended up splitting the difference.
Also had to ground the hammer a pinch to get a bit of extra clearance.

Used 6/40 screws and got about 5 threads out of them with a reasonable amount of metal left over the chamber.

I took the bottom tap and ground down the bevel to get an extra thread out of it. :grin:

The bases were much lower then the factory  (Weaver) aftermarket, and I can use the iron sights as well.  Both of the bases were for the front reciever ring on a mauser, and the rings were mediums.

The set up is low enough so that the gun doesn't beat on you too badly either.

Good luck

Tom

Offline jschance

• Avid Poster
Rifled slug barrel ?'s
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2004, 09:36:54 AM »
Yep, it's possible to drill and tap a 20 gauge Tracker II for a scope rail.  

I spent a good amount thinking this one out before I put bit to metal on my gun.  I mic'ed the barrels on both my Tracker II and a Ultra slug (20 gauge, in both cases).  The breech dimensions were the same on both guns.

I did mine in a mill, and copied the dimensions of the hole pattern on a handi rifle (actually a buffalo classic I've got sitting around).

Works great, groups around 1.5" at 100 yards with Remington Slugs.