Author Topic: Which Do You Prefer?????  (Read 565 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Which Do You Prefer?????
« on: July 02, 2004, 10:28:19 AM »
Seeing that the shooting distance on big game here in the West can get LONG, which do you prefer? Shooting Sticks or Bipods?  I prefer shooting sticks of my own make.  I use 2512 arrow shafts that I wrap the top porton with foam wrap like the kind used for tennis rackets.  Add a heavy rubber band to the sticks and you have a light weight set of shooting sticks that cost very little and work like a dream.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Which Do You Prefer?????
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 10:51:01 AM »
LD,  Do you use this as a bipod or tripod?

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Lawdog

Which Do You Prefer?????
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 08:26:09 AM »
Long,

Just the two sticks.  They are adjustable enough to be used for kneeling, sitting or prone positions.  The thing I really like is they are quiet and CHEAP(you can use old arrows that have been so bent that they are not shootable anymore.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline DesertRam

• Avid Poster
Which Do You Prefer?????
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 06:17:55 AM »
LD, I only use a bipod on my varmint rifles that are already heavy.  I don't really care for them on big game and/or predator guns.  I too made a set of shooting sticks from arrows.  I bought a pair of carbon arrows from Wally world, stripped the fletching and nocks, and added some field tips.  Then I "connected" them with 3/8" gas line that makes a nice pocket for the rifle - it's soft and quiet.  I also used three castration bands to create a good pivot point.  I roll them down to the bottom to keep the sticks together for easier toting.

Anyway, a picture's worth a thousand words, so here they are in action:

Offline Lawdog

Which Do You Prefer?????
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 07:18:35 AM »
DesertRam,

Looks almost exactly like ones I have made for my whole family(CHRISTmas presents).  We use ours for everything - big game, small game, varmints, etc..  They work just great as I can see that yours did.  Just goes to prove the “like minds” theory.  Small groups and tight lines to you.  Lawdog