Author Topic: 45/70 in .410 Tamer stock?  (Read 714 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
45/70 in .410 Tamer stock?
« on: July 05, 2004, 06:02:05 AM »
I posted this in the shotgun forum also but it applies to this forum as well. I am thinking of buying an H&R nickled .410 Tamer to go along with a 20 gauge nickled H&R barrel I have aquired. My thoughts are to use a nice Shotgun stock set I have for that gun and to use the Synthetic Tamer stock for my "walking around" 45/70 Handi. I am interested in knowing how well 45/70 shells fit into the .410 Tamer buttstock and if they are held securely. Is there adjustment available on the stock with would make this a viable idea? I would appreciate it if anyone out there that has a 45/.70 and a .410 Tamer buttstock would try a 45/70 round in the shell storage area on the stock and let me know how it fits...Thanks in advance for your efforts....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Deadeye47

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 06:22:22 AM »
:eek: Now thats a cool idea! Thought about hacking the barrel to 16 inches yet??!!!!  :roll:  Major 8) It would be a kinda modern day "Wanted Dead or Alive " kinda gun!!  The kind of gun Josh Randal would appreciate....Punishing but way cool.... :-D
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 07:28:18 AM »
Deadeye, I would not even think of cutting my 22" Handi 45/70 barrel. It always shoots where I Look and would want to take a chance on ruining what I have. I do however have a nice 19" .280 Remington barrel I could put onto the receiver if the going got real tight....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Deadeye47

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 07:53:02 AM »
Can't blame ya on not wanting to cut the barrel if it shoots well. I just have this thing for short barreled rifles....well...except the one I just got anyway... :) Enjoy!
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 12:48:00 PM »
MSP
I'd think it should hold them tight, since the 410 is smaller in dia than the 45-70.  That is a cool idea though, especially for hunting.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 01:28:19 PM »
Thanks handirifle, I dug out some 2 1/2 inch .410 shells I have and checked them against a 45/70 round. My only concern now is if the 45/70's will fit in the shell holders in the Tamer buttstock. VC, the gentleman he is, has kindly offered to try a 45/70 round (as soon as he can get one from a friend) in his tamer stock to check the fit. This idea is starting to grow on me and I am liking it better as time goes by. Sure hope it works out, should make a great "walking around" gun, light and handi ( :grin: ) but not a lot of fun to shoot off a bench, luckily I can never recall any recoil I have ever felt in a hunting situation....<><.... :grin:

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 04:54:51 PM »
I looked the tamer over again, I'd forgotten it was a thumbhole (of sorts).  I'm not a fan of those, but it would be nice to carry over the ammo carrier idea to a regular synthetic stock.  Maybe one that would carry 3 rounds instead of 5.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 02:50:25 AM »
handirifle, being a traditionalist of sorts I was never a fan of that style of stock either. That is until I had an idea for a short range (under 100 yards) lightweight coyote gun.  I ordered a Sportster in .22 Mag and put a survivor buttstock and forearm on it. I first set it up with a scope and boy after a bit did it shoot!! easily under 2" at 100 yards, just about an inch when I did not rush. I then replaced the scope with a Simmons 30MM Red Dot and low and behold I could still keep the shots in about 2"  and sometimes beter at 100 yards!!  Here was my coyote gun!! So far 3 of my friends have the same setup with the exception of the stock and we all love it. Each gun has the same frame (Sportster) and is in .22 Mag with a regular barrel. Each has the same Simmons Red Dot and each has a different stock set up which it's owners has determined to be the most to his own liking. The Survivor stock has worked out so great for a lightweight "walking around" coyote gun it has changed my opinion of these stocks and I have begun to think of a 45/70 setup with the Tamer stock....<><.... :grin:

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 05:54:47 AM »
Like you used to be, I've never used one.  Who knows maybe I'd be the same way.  Glad it works for ya.