Author Topic: handgun general discussions  (Read 367 times)

Offline oso45-70

• Trade Count: (0)
handgun general discussions
« on: July 09, 2004, 06:55:01 PM »
Win 50,
The mod. 28 highway patrolman was manufactuerd from 1954 to 1986.
One in good shape should run between $235 & 270, Condition can play a big part in the price, And the area also you purchase it in will be a factor.
To me they have always been one of the better S&Ws. For years they were the most popular hand gun. Hope this is of some help. Stay safe.
...........Joe...........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
S&W Model 28 help quick
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 02:39:27 AM »
Win50 - I'll go with ckinght and oso45-70, definately on both counts.  I have one of those 28s and have carried and used it since 1970.  You should be able to talk the dealer out of it for 2 bills or a hair more.  

It is a field utility piece and that is exactly how I have used mine.  I doubt it has seen any jacketed slugs through it for better than 25 years, and she will still outshoot me at 50 yds.  I used heavy loads for silly-wets out to 200 yds and still use heavy loads for hunting.  Mine loves the 200 gn swcs.

You didn't mention the barrel length on yours but mine came with the 6' bbl and after about 20 years I got tired of having the long barrel wear a hole in my hip and returned it to the factory for a shroter bbl - it now sports a 3.5" model 27 bbl and a nice shiny blue.  

I think that if I saw another one at the right price I would probably get it just so I could have two.  Just my 2 cents worth.  Mikey.

Offline coltfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
S&W Model 28 help quick
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 06:54:35 AM »
First off, you can't expect much help regarding a S&W from someone called Coltfan, but I will suggest that you check out Smith-Wessonforum.com. There are quite a number of posts specifically regarding the model 28. Some will include pictures so you can help to deterimne what condition the one you are looking at should be rated. Plus you can check out the classifieds to see if anyone has one for sale. There are some pretty serious collectors who frequent that site, so you should be able to get some feedback from a few of them.

Good Luck.