Author Topic: Need Gillette, WY, taxidermist recommendation  (Read 1025 times)

Offline alsatian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Need Gillette, WY, taxidermist recommendation
« on: October 06, 2004, 06:35:44 AM »
Can anyone recommend a taxidermist in Gillette, Wyoming?  My son and I are going on our first pronghorn hunt near Gillette in 10 days.  While I don't expect that we will bag bucks with big horns, if my son wants his buck mounted I'm going to consider it.  It would be best to identify a taxidermist and talk with him about what to provide him so he can do a good job on the mount in advance of our hunt.

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
Need Gillette, WY, taxidermist recommendati
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 06:22:05 PM »
Why do you not expect to bag a buck with big horns?  Praire goats are likes locusts out here, your chances are very good, if your outfitter knows what he is doing.  As far as a taxidermist, ask your guide.

SAW
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 06:59:27 AM »
SAWgunner:

I'm going on a self-guided hunt on a small 1,300 acre ranch about 8 miles south of Gillette.  No outfitter, no guide.  If we find something with big horns, well fine and dandy.  I just figure it is hoping for too much given the large number of permits allowed in Unit 23, the fact that we will be hunting three weekends into the season, and the fact that I would expect most of the better private lands have been latched hold of by the outfitters.

I'm just looking for a good first time antelope hunt.  I probably won't get my buck mounted, but if my son wants his mounted I'll go along with that.  I am glad to hear the pronghorn are as numerous as locusts.

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 05:43:52 AM »
I can recommend one in Cheyenne, and it might be cheaper to ship if that is what you are thinking.  Anyway, good luck on the pronghorn hunt.  Remember to keep to the draws and low spots.

SAWgunner
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 02:46:10 PM »
I was in Gillette last year at this same time.We hit terribly hot weather,and the hunting was poor.We were after mulies.There were LOTS of antelope and I believe you will do well.Just a suggestion,but if you have the time,there is a fish and game office open 7 days a week in Gillette.They are there for the purpose of helping hunters with various questions etc.They have BLM maps,etc and will supply you with numbers of  all the available taxidermists in that area.They are just off of Rt 90 at the gillette exit.

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 04:11:48 AM »
My son took a buck with 13 1/4" horns.  I took a doe.  I might have taken a buck if I was more patient, but we had other plans on the trip and I took a doe after three buck stalks had failed for me.  We are having my son's pronghorn head mounted by Jerry Chaney of Gillette.

There are lots of pronghorn around Gillette, that is for sure.  We had a leg roast Sunday night from my doe, and we all found it very good.  I couldn't tell much difference from good venison.  My wife and oldest daughter thought they could taste a distinct difference, and they agreed the pronghorn was better.  If there was any difference I tasted, it might have been a slight additional "zing" or spiciness to the pronghorn.

It was a fun hunt.