Author Topic: Behind-the-back holster?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline AZ223

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Behind-the-back holster?
« on: May 15, 2004, 05:50:10 PM »
I'm looking for a behind-the-back IWB holster for my Para_Ordnance P12, and am having trouble finding a good leather one. While searching, I ran across someone who makes custom holsters, but won't make one of this type because he considers them dangerous for various reasons (if you fall on it, etc.).

Basically, I need something I can conceal with minimum clothing (it's HOT in Phoenix) and behind-the-back works very well with shorts/t-shirt, and would appreciate any input/suggestions.

Thanks in advance...
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 06:37:03 PM »
With our climate in the summer I haven't found any concealment holsters that you wear to be practical.  Just too hot!

You might want to consider a fanny pack style or one of the cases that looks like a laptop, dayplanner or organizer.

Offline Walosi

Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 07:30:56 PM »
The best IWB for this position that I have found is the Alessi MOB. It holds with one of his Talon Clips, just behind the trigger guard. This clip goes on the waistband, and under the belt. I've carried a SIG P220 and a S&W 4516 through several summers with good comfort and concealment. The position, on the spine, is a no-no. I've spent some 26 months in a wheelchair, and still walk with a cane, over some spinal cord problems. I don't want to go there, no mo'. I wear this rig toward the strong side, about 4:30ish, with the clip just to the side of the 6:00 belt loop (or back center seam). The "big butted" SIG concealed very well, as the extreme rake, meant for MOB position, kicks the butt high and farther forward, so that it is hard to get it to print. The flatter 4516 is even better. This position is far enough back that I can reach the gun with either hand, and comfortable enough for long term wear. Our humidity is light years higher than in AZ, but I treat all of my IWBs with either Kiwi Camp Dry (non-silicone) or a Sno Seal leather waterproofer called Silicone Water Guard. Three summers of wear with the SIG (and daily wipes at the end of the day) and no rust, even on the grip screws. The holster adds only two thicknesses of leather to the gun, is smooth side out so it doesn't "gather shirt tail", and the extra cant also keeps the muzzle off the tender back muscles when driving or seated for long periods. I no longer think of them as "MOB" holsters - Just darned good stongside IWBs, worn a little farther back.

Offline jhm

Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 06:07:16 AM »
I carry and recomend the don haum brand open top IWB holster. :D   JIM

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 05:22:17 PM »
The sob style of carry stinks, i have recapped this several times here and will do it again,
easy to get gun grabbed
grip gets hung up on chairs and simliar items
you have no chance of retention
slow to draw
covers everybody else with the muzzle while your drawing
easy for you to get your arms pinned to body while trying draw
cannot get a proper firing grip on the gun to draw it
hard on the back while driving and sitting (also never be able to get to it while seated if need in an emergency)
 and i can go on trust me! please debate me on these FACTS! sob is not a good way to carry  period  go with a good iwb with a sweat guard to prevent skin to gun contact

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 10:53:03 AM »
Hadn't considered some of the points Deputy made, especially getting it caught on the backs of chairs and such. Some people mentioned they carry it IWB in the 4:30 position, which I'm thinking is behind the hip, which for me may be a good compromise. Ideally, the Bianchi hi-rise on my hip is great for speed and convenience, but it's just way too obvious I'm carrying when dressed like I normally do. If I can find something just like it for IWB, that might work.

In the meantime, I really appreciate everyone's input. :-)
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 04:49:52 AM »
At times I carry a Ruger SP101 in an uncle mikes IWB at the SOB position. While I have noticed some of the conditions mentioned  I still choose to carry at times in this position. Im not really worried about falling on it that much. I guess it is possible. Also nobody is going to grab for it if they dont know it is there. Alot of people have a real problem grabbing at a strange mans butt or running your hand under his shirt.  You can I guess get caught with your hand trapped behind your back when you draw if you are not careful. One thing I do to help with the draw position is to use a left handed holster. I am right handed and I draw right handed. This places the gun butt to the right so when I draw , my hand is palm out-knuckles to my back.  This is a more natural position for me and comes second nature to me after a while. Practice at it and the only one or thing you sweep with the muzzle is your own backside, and its pointing at that to begin with. My pistol is a DAO so Im not messing with a safety or trying to cock a hammer as I draw and I aint pulling the hammer while my posterior is in jeopardy. Also no protrusions to hang up in your clothing. You can try it with a cheap uncle mikes and if you like it search for the leather model you want and if you dont you are only out about 10 bucks.
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 09:20:42 AM »
Quote from: cknight98
when i carried SOB with an Uncle Mikes IWB (i still do occasionally), i had a really hard time getting comfortable with the draw when using a left handed holster and keeping the knuckles of the draw hand against my back.  for some reason, i just never could get good at it.  then i tried one of my right hand models in the same position, just canted a little bit "FBI style" and presto...instant speed and comfort on the draw for me.  the belt keeps the holster in this position and doesnt let it move when you put the holster clip between the pants and the belt on top of it.  what i'm trying to say is to try both right and left hand holsters if SOB/MOB carry is something you want to try, as one may feel more comfortable over the other.
                                                                                               :D Yes Sir, I have tried both ways as well, and even with my left handed holster I also have to cant it a little to the right to make it comfortable. This is just what worked for me. For some reason it just never felt good for me the other way. I guess thats why they make so many different styles of rigs. Now if I could just afford to buy a new gun to try in each one of them. Wonder if my wife would go for that one. :-D
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline williamlayton

Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 01:49:51 AM »
Think I will add some flame to the fire :oops:
SOB is better than the Mexican style or better known as the stuffed down the front of yer pants.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 03:15:04 AM »
AZ223,

You might consider Milt Spark's VM-II. I routinely carry a full-sized 1911 in one, either under a vest or under a shirt depending upon the weather. I find it harder to conceal an extra magazine than the gun itself.

Offline Dali Llama

Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2004, 03:30:11 AM »
Quote from: williamlayton
Think I will add some flame to the fire :oops:
SOB is better than the Mexican style or better known as the stuffed down the front of yer pants.
Blessings
Dali Llama say he would like for williamlayton to articulate reason why he opine that small-of-back carry be superior to "Mexican style" carry. :?   :?
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline williamlayton

Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2004, 12:02:26 AM »
Better to shoot off your butt than you balls.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dali Llama

Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 01:32:53 AM »
Better to shoot off your butt than you balls.
blessings
Dali Llama say that if responsible firearm owner employ proper gun safety, he not discharge weapon into self, and concomitantly retain ability to both defecate and procreate. :lol:  :lol:

Offline williamlayton

Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 12:40:42 AM »
Stuff happens even though proper precautions are taken. That is the reason behind the back and down the front are not rec.--heck, ya can't stop stuff from happening but maybe you can minimize the effects.
Go any further and somebody is gonna call the Democrats an try an sign ya up.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dali Llama

Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 08:14:35 AM »
Stuff happens even though proper precautions are taken. That is the reason behind the back and down the front are not rec
Not recommended by what authority, ask Dali Llama? :?  :?

Offline williamlayton

Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 12:53:22 AM »
The authority of your own mind and listening to good advice and counsel.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dali Llama

Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2004, 01:42:36 AM »
The authority of your own mind and listening to good advice and counsel.
Blessings
That not be what "authority" of Dali's own mind and Dali's advice and counsel suggest.  To the contrary, Dali think IWB carry placement from 2:00 to 5:00 positions be preferable. :D

Offline Old Griz

Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2004, 11:18:52 PM »
:cb2: The first leather holster I bought was a Galco S.O.B., and man was that a waste of money. Uncomfortable when sitting, and like Deputy said, it catches on a lot of chairs, and while driving you might as well not have a gun, cuz you sure can't get to it. It's one of those things that looks great on TV, but in real life you're better off with a good high-rise-hip-hugger.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Behind-the-back holster?
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2004, 12:36:13 PM »
Please read the post under "which gun?"  There's a lot of "carry info" in that one.   44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!