Author Topic: Confidence decoys.  (Read 585 times)

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Confidence decoys.
« on: June 29, 2004, 12:22:26 PM »
Has anyone here had succes using confidence decoys?  Say something like taking your Turkey decoys and putting them in pre planned areas, then sparsely using Turkey calls, just enough to add realism?  Ive heard of using them in conjunction with Deer decoys, but In the areas I will hunt this set-up, although they are usually almost devoid of other hunters, could see some pop up here and there, so I shy away from using the deer decoy also.  At least the turkey decoys I know wont get shot (or get me shot,) because in the fall they can only be taken by bow and they are hardly hunted in the fall for that fact.  Right now Im only using gun and muzzel loader, but next year will come bow.  Is this a wothwhile tactic that will help sooth deer a little bit longer?
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
Confidence decoys.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 04:58:01 AM »
K.I.S.S.  

On a side note, imagine having a half dozen turkeys respond, then the deer you want to kill shows up. Try pulling the string with the nose of a 10 point buck 30 yards away, and the eyes of 6 turkeys.
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Confidence decoys.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 11:50:04 AM »
Actually I would be in a tree stand and, like I said, I would be starting out using gun before bow.  I understand what your saying, however.  But it was just a thought I had after reading a few articles.  Besides, I wouldnt do heavy calling, so I doubt Id actually atrract them.  Even if I did, that would not be so bad, as once I get my Archery liscence I can use the second fall tag for turkey that the state gives me :grin: .  May not bag a buck, but a turk would still be worth it  8) .
Brian M.
NRA Life Member

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Confidence decoys.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 04:11:04 AM »
I would use the deer decoy rather than the turkey. I think deer generally avoid turkeys, and may have the opposite effect that you want.

I use my foam archery deer target regularly as a decoy during archery only. I usually place it to pull any travelling deer's attention away from the direction of my stand so I can make my draw. Where I hunt, the deer are usually on the run from hunting pressure during firearms hunt, and no decoy will slow them down.If using it during gun season, put some orange spray paint on it in key locations to identify it as a decoy. Deer will see the organge as a light grey or white, just as they do your orange hunting gear.

You have to be really careful with scent on a decoy. I usually take the foam deer out ahead of time, descented with scent killer, and burry it under branches and leaves to get the scent off. When needed, I put it up along with a white hanky "tail" doused in doe urine (doe in heat only if the rut is on). I do not use the antlers because it will scare off any deer but the dominant bucks. I like the dominant bucks, but I am a meat hunter and will take a nice doe any day of the archery season.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Confidence decoys.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 04:16:21 AM »
Another easier to manage decoy that some oldtimers use is a real tail from last years deer. When skinning, if you are careful, you can remove the tail intact off the tail bone by peeling in back like a banana. Salt it well and once dry, put in the freezer for next season. This is much more portable than a whole deer decoy. You can hang it from a bush at the proper level, and even use fish line to add movement. This will attract deer from far away.

I must admit that although I've heard much talk of this method, I've never used it successfully myself.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Confidence decoys.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 01:57:54 PM »
I have used the turkey decoy for deer hunting even bought a carry lite deer decoy.  the only thing the turky attracted in was a cat and the carry lite decoy i have deer walk with in 10 feet of  it and pay it no. The deer looks like a deer but it doesnt smell like one or move so they dont care about it.

you can also try a great blue haron decoy if you hunt around water.

I hunt around a lot and I mean a lot of squirrels. I some times carry a squirrel call. if the deer starts to get a little nervous or I move and make a noise I will hit the squirrel cal a few times the deer tend to settle down quickly once they think I am a squirrel

Offline ahunter55

• Avid Poster
    • http://members.sanasys.com/~jlaw/
decoy
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 04:16:29 AM »
I have been Bowhunting Whitetails for 48 years now & used 3 different Deer decoys over the years.  I have watched instructioin Videos, talked to the Manufactures & done everything the experts have said.
I have only had NEGATIVE results from trying them (Bucks & Does) & it has cost me a couple chances at TROPHY Bucks.  I sugest you place your stand on a well used trail & forget the Decoy-you will have much better results, I am sure... Good Luck.
always thankful

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Confidence decoys.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 06:22:59 AM »
Thanks guys for the responses.  Guess Ill stick to the current way Im doing things.  
Just like to mention that an ole timer I know gave me advice I thought Id pass along.  He says he has turned A LOT of guys onto a snort call (not a snort wheeze.)  He says that if he spooks a deer a quick puff usually stops them cold or makes a deer come charging right back.  He was telling me how he had a doe about 20 yards fedding in front of him.  He played with that doe for a good half hour.  He said that whenever she looked like she was getting panicky he would blow the snort and she would drop her head and continue feeding.  Paid off too cuz he said a shooter buck wound up charging from the tree line at her.  Dont remember if he got that deer though  :) .  So I picked one of the calls up.  Havent been able to use it yet, so no PERSONAL experience yet, but I believe this guy is for real and not one of them "quack" hunters.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member

Offline Steelhead

• Avid Poster
Confidence decoys.
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 07:13:31 AM »
On at least 2 seperate occassions I have used a grunt to kill a deer I spooked while still hunting. As soon as I spooked them I stopped and grunted a few times, usually within 30 minutes they will circle around and come in for a look. I firmly believe as long as they don't catch your scent, you are ok. Seeing you and or hearing you isn't enough for them, especially in connection with a deer call. Just my observations.
Deactivated for behavior in response to a warning from GB.

Offline firstshot

• Avid Poster
Confidence decoys.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004, 06:31:21 PM »
I haven't used turkey decoys while deer hunting, but I've great success stalking while making the normal sounds of turkeys feeding.  This works especially well when you are trying to stalk with dry leaves on the ground.

I cut a switch about 4 ft long and then use it to make scratching in the leaves sounds just like a turkey would.  As you are taking a step, and the leaves are cruntching, use the switch to scratch the leaves at the same time.  Really covers up your steps.  You don't have to be shy about it either.  Turkeys make a lot of racket scratching in the leaves and deer are used to hearing it.  I also take a mouth call and cluck & purr every now and then.

Yep....the deer will hear you coming from a long way off, but long before you get close enough for the deer to see you, they have already written it off as a bunch of turkes moving through the woods.  Works like a charm.

The closest I've ever gotting using this technique was about 20 Yds.  A doe was feeding behind a thick stand of blackberry bushes.  I didn't see her and she didn't see me until I was almost on top of her.

firstshot
------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun !!

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Confidence decoys.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2004, 01:59:17 AM »
Veeerrry interesting firstshot.  Something worth trying.  Leaves on the ground are a problem up here and your idea sounds like a good one for stalking.  Thanks.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member