Author Topic: 243 handi free bore  (Read 1043 times)

Offline ken s

• Trade Count: (0)
243 handi free bore
« on: July 01, 2004, 08:22:22 AM »
my handi rifle has a lot of  free bore  i can just start! a 100gr bullet in the case an put it in the rifle no prob. dosent even touch the rifling. Q how much freebore is to much this seems to much to me. huh huh. how about some input guys.  thanks.
                                       ken s :roll:   :roll:

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
243 handi free bore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 09:59:25 AM »
Ken,
you've touched on one of the sorest spots about our Handi's.  Funny thing is, it doesn't affect the accuracy of most of them.

The BC that I had certainly did NOT have that problem.  I tried many times to stuff 70 gr of BP into a case that would still chamber with a 400gr bullet, but it wasn't gonna happen.  I manages just barely 60gr.  Any more and the bullet had to seat out further and then it would NOT chamber.  Most every other barrel I've heard about or seen has a long throat.  On my son's 223, a 55gr bullet can be dropped in the chamber and the case will never touch it.  Yet I can get 3/4" groups with Win Value Pak ammo.

Just shoot the dern thing and see how it does.

The freebore keeps pressures down.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
243 handi free bore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 02:19:42 PM »
My 243 barrel also has excessive freebore.  Certain calibers tend to be long throated in these handi/ultra barrels.  The 25-06 and 243 seem to be among the worst.  I beleive H&R reams them a little long to reduce pressure but some of the chambers I've seen are so long I wonder if the guy running the reamer fell asleep and it just kept going and going.......

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
243 handi free bore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 08:53:15 AM »
Is this an old problem or of recent issue? I'm gettin both the .243 and .25-06 barrels tomorrow, am I going to have problems with factory ammo?  All the previous info I got was that they shot certain factory ammo real well, and that's what I bought.

Thanks,   Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
243 handi free bore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 10:25:04 AM »
quickdtoo,
This is not a new problem these calibers have typically had excessive freebore as far back as I can remember.  The 25-06 is especially prone to freebore, the 243 doesn't seem as bad but many barrels do show excessive freebore.

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
243 handi free bore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 07:58:28 AM »
my 243 ultra has lots of free bore, much like one of those expensive boltguns made by weatherby !

it keeps the pressures down and the velocities up.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
243 handi free bore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 08:03:13 AM »
Thanks, guys....I was gettin' a bit nervous about  my decision there at first, but now I feel better!!  :)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
243 handi free bore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 07:13:33 AM »
Free bore per se does not greatly impair accuracy it allows bullet movement without lands restriction which in turn increases case volume and subsequently lowers presssure untill the bullet reaches the lands.

As mentioned above Wheatherby has used free bore in the big magnums for along time and they are fine shooters.

The trouble with the my particular 25-06 are the very liberal chamber, throat and bore dimensions. I have spelled them out previously but nobody has even commented on them. It is my observance that many people do not unstand the gravity of poor bore and throat dimemensions and blame the poor performance on the free bore.

In reference to my 25-06 the bore is supposed to be not bigger than .251 .250 is the norm and the groove .257. Here I have a bore of .254 and a groove of .2582 to .2584. the grooves are only .0021 deep. Bullets are .257 and ingrave only .0015" which is practicly nothing.

The throat or freebore should only be 0.0005" bigger than groove at the case mouth or .2575 and taper to .257 at the start of the lands. Here we have .2586 at the case mouth and 2582 at the start of the lands.

Not only does the bullet wobble down the bore but there is also a considerable high velocity gas blow by which eats up the barrel steel. Accuracy 2-4"  is that good?  You figure it out?

I found that reasonable accuracy can be achieved by reduction of velocity.
So you load a 25-06 to 257 Roberts velocity seems to work ok. It is a sham in my opinion. Why bring out a high velocity chambering and then throttle it down with over size bores and throats. Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
243 handi free bore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 08:59:33 AM »
fred -

it looks like with those throat dimensions this is a cast bullet (with gas checks) gun. shooting jacketed bullets at normal 25-06 pressures are sure to kill the thing. i am considering getting a 25-06 barrel for my handi, so please indulge me with a few questions.

are your dimensions typical of all 25-06 barrels ? have you tried cast bullets sizing them up to 259 or so ? how did you make these measurements ?, by casting the chamber and throat ?

i don't mind working up a load to see what shoots good, but a reduction in pressure to prevent barrel erosion in a non-magnum round makes me rethink my wanting this cartridge.

thanks,

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
243 handi free bore
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 09:25:43 AM »
Fred, I'm not real familiar with the laws concerning shipping firearms in Canada, but is there anyway that you can send that 25-06 barrel back to H&R?  I'll bet if you include all of the info you've just shared with us, they'd fix it.  

What about having a dealer ship it back for you?
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
243 handi free bore
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 04:49:34 PM »
ScatterGunner
I have no idea if these dimensions are typical because that 25-06 is the only Handi I have. The dimension were made by slugging the bore and making a CERO Safe cast for the throat and shoulder.

What is suspicious that every thing is oversize, barrel, throat and chamber as if done on purpose, even the shoulder is .003" bigger than spec. and so is the neck.

Wlscott.
I have no intention of sending the rifle back to the US life is too short for that exercise. Some day I find a 25 barrel and and have my Gun smith  turn it into a 25 Hunter or a 257 Roberts. In the meen time I shoot it as is with reduced loads which shoot quite well.

No I am not into cast bullets, I like to spend my time shooting accurate BR rifles. Besides I have a super accurate Ruger#1 in 25-06, that rifle even with quite a bit of throat erosion still shoots under 1/2" at 100 meters with max loads.  Notwithstanding the negativity I like the way the Handi rifle handles and operates with that 24oz trigger.  Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.