Author Topic: small cannon  (Read 997 times)

Offline Ronaldthe1

• Trade Count: (0)
small cannon
« on: July 21, 2004, 08:53:38 PM »
Buddy built a small cannon in his mach. class Spec or: 14" OL with a about .60 Cal bore barrel lenght is 10". all Stainless steel
Ive got some old molds to do round balls and pointed bullets what type of powder and what grain of charge should we start off with?
Gun ownership is not a choice, its a addiction.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
small cannon
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 01:24:55 AM »
The old addage of start light and work up is good.  My only point of reference for something small is my 50 cal percussion rifle.  From that perspective Fg or FFg (although 10" is short and FFFg would be better).  I would mimic the starting loads for a 54 or 60 cal muzzel loader for the same bullet weights and barrel lengths.  

This is ASSUMING that the strength (ie: material, thickness AND shape of the corners inside the bore are similar.)  At 60 cal. I would presume that it doesn't have a powder chamber.  I would also think it the inside of the bore would be fairly smooth - was it drilled and bored or perhaps even reamed?  These things make the difference between a shootin' iron and a bomb.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Ramrod

small cannon
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 10:44:06 AM »
.60 is mighty close to 20 gauge, which is about .625. Standard loads are from 2-1/2 drams to 3 drams ( 68 grains to 82 grains) FFg  with 7/8 to 1 oz projectile for a shotgun. I would think a small cannon should have thicker barrel walls, so these should be a safe start.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline akbigbore

small cannon
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 07:05:32 PM »
That may actually be a bit heavy.  I shoot a .62 caliber (20 gauge) smoothbore pistol, 12 inch barrel, loaded with 30 gr Goex FFFg and a .600 patched round ball. That load makes her bark right smart.

Swanny