Author Topic: Hit a bird this morning...  (Read 1255 times)

Offline azshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Hit a bird this morning...
« on: April 11, 2004, 07:22:26 AM »
So we are driving to Easter services this morning in the F-250 doing about 40 -45 MPH.  I notice a dove sitting by the side of the road and as we approach it flys right into the path of the truck, there is a thud as it hits the front and I see a big ploom of feathers out the rear view mirror.  Kind of a bummer to have happen on the way to Easter services but oh well at least it was a quick death.  We come out of service a little over an hour later and there is a flutter from the front of the truck.  I get down and see a dove wedged in the grill.  I carefully remove it from where it is stuck and it flys away apparently unharmed as if nothing ever happend.  The wife and kids are as astounded as I am.

Offline Shorty

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 01:47:11 PM »
azshooter,
I caught a turkey right in the windshield, last fall.  'Scared the bejeebers outta me.  I was sure it had to have been killed, and went back to look for it, but never found a sign. :eek:
Bats, however, seem to "stick" where they hit. :roll:

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 09:02:24 AM »
I can recall at least a couple of times I've hit quail like that and they stuck in the grill but both times they were dead. Both were on my way to work in the mornings. Once I found one hanging by its neck with head in and body outside when I parked. I knew I'd hit it but didn't know it stuck. The other time there was a State Trooper license check going on and they saw one hanging like that and asked me if I knew there was a quail in my grill. I said nope, knew I hit a couple of them actually but didn't realize it stuck. They made me get out and remove it. I assume because it is a game bird and season wasn't open.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline John

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 10:54:05 AM »
Way back in my high school days, a buddy and myself were shootin some doves one evening. He knocked one down, walked out to it, picked it up, put it in his pocket, and a few minutes later it flew out of his pocket with both us watching with our jaws hanging down to our belly buttons in disbelief. Neither of us fired a shot as we watched it fly out of sight.
Hey, hold my beer and watch this.

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 04:25:30 PM »
One of my hunting buddys was tooling right along on a dirt road in the Az. rim country and had a good size flock of turkeys decide to run across the road at the wrong time. There were 8 turkeys flopping around in the road when he got stopped and the rest is history with stuffing and the works. :wink:
Blow a vintage Circe dinner bell and they will come...

Offline KN

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 05:59:53 PM »
I know a guy that came to work one day all beat to crap. Seems he hit a turkey in the road and stoped, picked it up and put it in the cab of his truck. Went on down the road and turned on the radio. The turkey "woke up" and decided to tear up him and the inside of his truck. We told him it probably just didn't like country music.  KN

Offline MATLOCK12C

• Avid Poster
WATCH OUT FOR THE Emu!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 12:50:29 PM »
I was goin south on U.S. 59 headed to Carthage from Marshall about 6:30 pm. I had two big rig's in front of me  and I was about 100 ft back when this big bird ran out into my lane.  I drive a C-2500 3/4 ton Chevy with a big grill guard.  At 70 mph, no time to slow or swerve I dead centered the sucker! Up over the cab it went!
I managed to stop and back up to the thing there on the side of the road.  It was alive! but its legs were broken up very badly. It was trying to get away but its legs were gone. I got my rifle, a 30.cal carbine and put it down.
 I was checkin out my grill when the state trooper pulled up. There I was gun in hand!  He did not like that at all! :shock:  He just walked up on me there and we both jumped out of our skins!  I immediately dropped my gun! he drew his and kept it there! I was not goin  to argue the point!

After some explaining it was alright.  He didn't belive me at first, but there the big dead bird was and a nice dent and feathers and blood on the grill guard helped a bunch! It was my fault I should have put the gun up ASAP. I wasn't thinking, and the trooper wasn't expecting to walk up on a man with a carbine and a thirty round clip!

After making sure I wasn't a member of al kida, or a serial killer He let me go.
MATLOCK12C@AOL.Com

Remember, 95% of all energency room visits are made shortly AFTER this statement; HEY, Y'ALL WATCH THIS!  :shock:   :)  :)  :-D

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 06:23:00 AM »
A few years back, I hit a rabbit in the highway in my Z71 pickup.  It was at night, but nothing seems out of the ordinary, just wrong place at the wrong time.

The next morning, when I when outside, the dead rabbit was hung in the grill of my truck!   Evidently he "jumped up" and got smacked rather than getting run over by the tires.

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 07:17:59 AM »
20 years ago, I hit a buzzard.  It was down trying to get the last bite of roadkill, when I hit it with a Mazda pickup.  It took out the windshield and was in the cab with me, very dead.  I was covered in little cuts from the not so safe glass.  Through out the carcass and headed home on back roads at a slow pace with the two foot hole where my windshield had been.  After a thorough clean and new windshield, I was still finding feathers a month later.
My second bird kill was a flock of canadian geese that had gotten too used to city life.  I was headed home after the midnight shift, driving too fast in my firebird.  A flock of geese were crossing from a pond in a park to a companies manicured lawn to feed.  I didn't slow down, birds fly right?  I hit that flock dead center.  I think all told I squished 7 geese.  Had to have the firebird put on a lift to clean the underneath of feathers and blood.  Yuch!

Offline inGobwetrust

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 08:17:32 AM »
A few years ago in Antrim, NH a town selectman was riding his motorcyle and a turkey flew in front of him and was struck by his head.  He died of a broken neck right on the spot, feathers everywhere.  Not a dignified way to go.
"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in
the country," --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, DC

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2004, 01:52:06 PM »
Quote from: MOGorilla
20 years ago, I hit a buzzard.  It was down trying to get the last bite of roadkill, when I hit it with a Mazda pickup.  It took out the windshield and was in the cab with me, very dead.  I was covered in little cuts from the not so safe glass.  Through out the carcass and headed home on back roads at a slow pace with the two foot hole where my windshield had been.  After a thorough clean and new windshield, I was still finding feathers a month later.
My second bird kill was a flock of canadian geese that had gotten too used to city life.  I was headed home after the midnight shift, driving too fast in my firebird.  A flock of geese were crossing from a pond in a park to a companies manicured lawn to feed.  I didn't slow down, birds fly right?  I hit that flock dead center.  I think all told I squished 7 geese.  Had to have the firebird put on a lift to clean the underneath of feathers and blood.  Yuch!

Hello MOGorilla :D
    You were lucky that the buzzard died on impact. I had a friend, that shot one with a 22 rifle ( illegal in Okla), I told him not too. Anyhow, after he shot it, he went over to finish it off, cause the shot only stunned him. Well upon approching the buzzard, the bird puked all over him.  :-D  :-D . I mean it was just like the movie, exorcist. He smelled like rotten fish for a week, even after showing. He burned his clothes, cause the smell wouldn`t come out completley.  Come to find out, that`s one of the buzzard`s defence, to barf on you, if you get to close. Anybody for pea soup now?  :-D
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 09:14:18 AM »
Quote from: inGobwetrust
A few years ago in Antrim, NH a town selectman was riding his motorcyle and a turkey flew in front of him and was struck by his head.  He died of a broken neck right on the spot, feathers everywhere.  Not a dignified way to go.

The suspense is killing me, which one died the selectman or the turkey??? :?  :?
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 04:59:32 AM »
i`m surprised that no one recalled thejeef foxworthy bit about the beaver. this was a "true" story that a fan told. apparently this young man and his friend where driving thru florida and a beaver ran out onto the road nd they hit it with the car. in the conversation that followed they decided to go back andt this animal take the taxidermist because they didn`t knwo anyone who had a mounted beaver in there home. so they find this animal and one of them climbs down into the ditch, picks it up by the tail and says " look he ain`t even cut up or bloody or nuthin" and thats about the moment that the beaver came back to life, and bit his nipple off.

nmot to sure if it`s true or not but it makes a funny tale!!
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline z1

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2004, 04:58:54 PM »
A bunch of years ago my brother and I went dove hunting at an uncle's farm in South Georgia.  We were both home on leave from the Army and were in my 69 Corvette.  Not a good choice for a hunting rig but a chance to drive it.

We had a good shoot with both of us near a limit.  On the way home we stopped for soft drinks at a country store.  At the front of the store were two old men sitting on the old style drink crates, leaning against the building.

When I opened my door and got out a dove followed me.  He hauled feathers across the road and flew out of sight into the woods.  The two old men were laughing so hard I thought they would bust.  So were we.

I bet those two old men told that story many times.  My brother does.  I think it was one of his birds.
Warriors must succeed when politicians fail.

Offline Dan Mich Trapper

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2004, 03:29:34 AM »
Ok , this was kinda weird .
 Tuesday I was at work ( I drive delivery truck) and was headed to my first jobsite . It was about 7:30 am and I hit a bird . On the way back to the yard , in the same spot as the first bird , I hit another one . I got back to the yard , loaded up and headed out , ythis time in thje opposite direction , and I hit another bird . Three birds in two deliveries .
If an animal activist is being mauled by a bear should we stop it , or , " let nature take its course?"