Author Topic: Wildcat for a Handi rifle  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Wildcat for a Handi rifle
« on: September 11, 2004, 04:29:06 PM »
I just got a 243 handi rifle barrel in a deal I made on here but I don't much care for the 243 and was wondering if I could have it rechambered to a wildcat catridge that is within pressure limits of the handi rifle frame. I'm not sure what it could handle safely so that's where you guys come in. Hope you can help me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 02:39:37 AM »
:D 6-284, 6-06, 6mmAI, 6-307AI,  6x57R AI, those are a few that would work easily. I'm not familar with the Handi, if it would lend itself to the belted case. If so a 6x6.5 Rem Mag., might work also. I guess, it depends on what you have in mind and what want to achieve. Also, what twist, may be a factor. I have a 6mmAI on an Encore, and love it, but. If I had to, or wanted to do it over again. I think the 6x57R AI, would be what I would do. Might do it anyhow, with a faster twist than my 6mm AI. Although, If it was intended for the heaviest bullets, the 284 or 06 case might be better. But there again, what is your twist rate?. With the heavy bullets, 1in8" is none too fast, and 1in 10" may be alittle slow. Also, with 100 grain bullets and under, 6mmAI/6x57RAI, will do just about anything the larger capacity cases will do, with less powder.
Dave

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 04:15:23 AM »
I want something big enough to hunt deer but yet still small enough to hunt varmints. I think the twist is 1:10"

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Re: Wildcat for a Handi rifle
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 05:18:51 AM »
Quote from: Varminter
I just got a 243 handi rifle barrel in a deal I made on here but I don't much care for the 243 and was wondering if I could have it rechambered to a wildcat catridge that is within pressure limits of the handi rifle frame.

That's a problem because the 308 case family is pretty much the limit of that frame, and there aren't too many 6mms that would clean out the existing chamber. 244 Remington has too much taper, and 240 Weatherby is just too skinny except at the belt.

All I can think of are 6mm-284Win, (backthrust area about 10-15% more than 243, and I don't know if the 284 case would clear your existing ejector) 6mm-06 Improved, and 244(6mm) Rem Improved.

There are a few more exotic possibilities, like 6x55 Arch Improved (uses 6.5x55 brass) and 6mm Gibbs Improved (a short neck, long body 6mm-06)

Onesonek mentioned a few that I didn't see in the Pacific chamber print book. I like the idea of a 6x55 or 6x57, especially rimmed. The 6mm-307 would be the equivalent of a 243 Rimmed, you could make it by cutting a 30-30 rim on your existing chamber and using a 30-30 ejector. The 6mm-06 and Gibbs might be barrel burners, 60 grains of powder is a lot to shove through a .243 bore.

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 05:46:52 AM »
I edited out the 6x57R, thinking about what Mitch said. I don't think it would "clean up" but the 6x57R AI would, which is still a relatively simple wildcat.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 02:28:46 PM »
I don`t know why you don`t like the .243, it`s a darn good round. If you have it rechambered you will only pick-up acouple of 100 fps. and you probibly won`t be happy with it eather. In a .243 with a 75 grn. HP you sgould be able to get about 280 yrds. max. point blank rangr, + or - 2 1/2 in. You wil get an extra 5 yrds. for each additional 100 fps. For the price of haveing it rechambered you can be at least 1/2 way to a new barrel.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 10:54:53 AM »
I do like the 243. This barrel won't stabilize heavy grain bullets to hunt deer with. About the heaviest it will stabilize is a 75 grain bullet and that is just too light for deer. Their is no since in me keeping it just for varmints either b/c I have a bull barrel 223 for that. That is why I want to rechamber it. The guy i bought it from said the best groups he got at a 100 yards was about 4in. That was with 100 grain bullets. He tryed alot of different factory loads.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 07:57:28 AM »
The only AI conversion I would think about in a Handi would be a 30-30AI.

And even that would largely depend on the existing chamber and how the rifle shoots in the standard caliber. The Handi's have too many loose connections and accuracy is not one of their strong points in many of them.

So forget about AI conversions, another downfall with an Handi AI conversion is that you cannot set  the barrel back to clean up the chamber and get a .004" crush fit for fire forming.

Unless you use a larger/longer case. From my experience with the Handi, more power, more back pressure means more inaccuracy. This of course is not the case with in a 30-30AI, besides the rim keeps the head space without the set back. In some rifles the lock up is so bad the action will open when fired, and many will partially open when full loads are used.

It also has been noted that the smaller case heads and the lower presuure cartridges perform much more satisfactory. IE, 22Hornet, 223, 30-30, 38-55, 45-70. 44Mag. 357 Mag. I know for a fact that some will argue this  point.  Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline aulrich

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 12:56:02 PM »
There have been a couple of 243 bullets lighter that 100 gr that have been floating around  various threads
85 gr Nosler partition
85 gr hpbt sierra game king (not to be mixed up with thier 85 gr sp which is a varminter)
85 gr Speer (the one I'll try this year)

Even with the 100 gr I would not want to try to punch though a shoulder of a big buck. But I have read (not actually seen so my skeptic mode is still on too) many good report about the Sierra. so there are some options there. My 243 ultra handled the sierra 80 gr blitz very well so I am suspecting that the 85 gr should be no problem.  

One other option is the 100 gr hornady round nose you'd loose trajectory but there still should be 200 yards in it.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline kombi1976

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 01:45:29 AM »
Mitch is right. These H&R frames aren't made to cope with magnums. In fact, as many of you would know, there used to be a forum on the H&R Website called H&R Talk that was shut down, I believe mainly because there was alot of talk about building magnums on H&R frames. There were some seriously silly suggestions on there. The worst that comes to mind was the fellow that claimed he'd built a .338 Lapua on the frame & that it was a little loose now that he'd shot it a bit but was still safe......... :shock:

If you have fears about a lighter 6mm bullets not being up to the job Barnes makes 85gn Triple Shock, XLC and X bullets. Perhaps these would answer the call.

If not I'd try a 6.5x55, .260 Rem(you only have to alter the bore) or, for something a little different, a 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer. It has great performance with less recoil even than the Swede.

But then none of these are wildcats.
8)

Cheers & God Bless

.22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 NE 3"

Offline Catfish

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 02:48:49 PM »
If you rechamber this barrel it will not make it stablize heaver bullets. You will still be shooting the lite bullets, just pushing them faster. I would recomand you sell it to someone looking for a good varmint barrel.

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 02:40:55 AM »
I kinda forgot about this thread. But Catfish  is right, rechamber isn't going to make heavier bullets stabilize. I'm suprized that they would put a slow twist in the Handi, chambered in a .243.

Offline Shoot!

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 12:59:28 PM »
Quote from: onesonek
I'm suprized that they would put a slow twist in the Handi, chambered in a .243.

Actually, 1:10" is the standard twist rate for the .243. The old .244 Rem was 1:14" and was known to not stabilize 100 gr bullets. If it is actually 1:10", it should be plenty fast for all 6mm bullets. If it is inaccurate, it is not a stability issue.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 03:13:55 AM »
What I think the trouble is the micro groove 0.002" and an over size groove diameter which will not engrave the heavier bullets and skiddies them along before the rifling even acts on the bullet. Handi's are notorious for for lousy bore dimensions. My 25-06 barrel is .0015 oversize, and the throat nearly two thou that means only one land acts on the bullet and with any load it looses 100ft/sec. With a max load it is no better than a 257 Roberts. Micro Groove is Ok with a proper bore dimension. Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 03:53:29 PM »
Try the hornady 100 gr round nose bullets my handi shoots them very well. 1in 10 is not a slow twist and its not the micro groove barrel eighter way be a sloppy bore have you tried slugging it? I disagree with anyone condeming the micro goove barrel I own at least six of them at last count and all shoot very well with cast and jacketed bullets some just take more range work than others. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2004, 06:58:00 AM »
Sorry i haven't made it back here in a while but it is time for all of the suggestions to cease. I traded the 243 for a 44 mag. barrel. I was wondering about the 445 supermag? Can anyone give me some info on this one. From what i have heard if you rechamber it to this you are still able to shoot 44 mags and 44 specials. Is it really worth the trouble? or should i just stick with what i have.