Author Topic: Hey Scruffy!!  (Read 845 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Hey Scruffy!!
« on: July 21, 2004, 03:03:40 AM »
Scruffy:
This is some really good info buddy. Tell me how would these same examples work in the 20ga. mod choked Pardner? Do you think I could copy each exactly, only in the 20 ammo instead of the 12? I'm really talking more about the slugs and the heavishot.

use my $87 walmart pardner for pretty much everything now. Shoot win 2 3/4" foster slugs for deer, Win 2 3/4" #4 and #6 on pheasant (depending on how tight the pheasants are staying), Rem 3" mag #2 hevishot (or steel shot) for ducks and geese (hevishot out mod choke patterns like lead out an extra full choke), Win 2 3/4" #6 for turkeys in the timber, Rem 3" mag #4 hevishot for turkey in the open (again, patterns like lead out an extra full), Fed 2 3/4" mag #4 buckshot or Rem 3" mag #2 hevishot on coyotes, Win 2 3/4" #6 on squirels and rabbits, win 2 3/4" #4 on crows, Win or Fed 2 3/4" #7 1/2 skeet loads on clay pigeons, Rem 3" mag #2 hevishot or Win 2 3/4" #4's for varmints around the farm like skunks, possums, coons, and badgers (use #2 hevishot maily on badgers, really breaks them up by breaking every bone in the pattern circle!).

The cheap 12 gauge mod choked pardner is very versital and will serve you well!!!
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline scruffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Hey Scruffy!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 08:10:16 AM »
Sure, for a modified choke pardner 20 I'd use 20 gauge Brenneke slugs loaded by Rottweil ( http://www.dnrws.com/rottweil.html ).  I have a friend's son that has done better with his 870 youth 20 modified choke and 3" rottweil/brenneke slugs over the last three years than any of the other 20 guys in the group using 12 gauges with foster slugs.  He's never lost a deer, has always filled his tag and others (party hunting is legal in Iowa), used one slug per deer, and every deer had a very good blood trail and didn't go over 75 yards.  They are very accurate and with a reddot that kid (just turned 14, been deer hunting since 11) is a deer freezer filling machine!

As far as hevishot, your choices limited.  Remington only offers two offereings, one turkey and one waterfowl ( http://www.remington.com/ammo/shotshell/shotshell.htm ).  The turkey load 3" load with 1 1/4 oz of shot with a muzzle velocity of 1175fps, available in sizes 4, 5, 6.  The waterfowl load, also 3", has 1 1/8 oz of shot with a muzzle velocity of 1325 fps and comes in sizes 4 and 6.  If it were me I'd elect to use the waterfowl version, more velocity, less shot.  Alot of people try and cram alot of shot into the 20 gauge but alot of the heavy oz 20 gauge loads I've used through my browning didn't pattern very well.  I've read the same from many other folks as well as in the hunting mags (for what it's worth...).  Another thing I like about the waterfowl loads is the waterproof primer and crimp.  I use the 12 gauge Remington hevishot waterfowl loads bought in the fall for spring turkey because they're waterproof and I'm always getting rained on.  The only difference between the 3" waterfowl load I use and the 3" turkey load is the waterproofing for the waterfowl load.  Velocity, powder, shot load, etc are all the same, even the price!  So for turkey next fall I'd pick up the waterfowl load, either 4 or 6, this winter.

Since Remington doesn't make #2 hevishot (my favorite shot load) in the 20 gauge I'd stick with #3 or #4 buck on coyotes and such that size.  The number of pellets is of course less than the 12 so I'd try and hold the range under 30 to 35 yards max because it takes more luck getting the fewer pellets in the right spots.

For varmints around the place like skunks, possums, racoons, etc I'd use the #4 hevishot.  #4 lead would also work well, but the tougher old varmints might take multiple shots.  My dad uses a Remington 870 20 gauge pump on his place with Rem 3" #4 lead and out at 40 yards it takes 3 to 4 shots to kill a possum...  I know, he needs to use bigger shot than #4 birdshot or get closer but he says it works and I can't get him to change or step off the front step to get closer...  He's set in his ways.  So the #4 lead will work, but I'd either get it closer and I'd use your leftover hevishot from turkey season, potent medicine for the toughest old varmints!  Badgers I'd for sure want the hevishot.

For pheasants, lead #4 or #6, I use winchester #4 out my browning 20, I seem to have less wounded with the #4's.  Squirell and rabbit I use Winchester #6's.  I'd use #4's for crow.  I use Winchester #7 1/2 for clays.

My browning 20 bps micro came with three chokes, the only one I've ever used is the mod.  I'd like to get a pardner 20 mod but I just can't get myself to do it, I like the browning so much when I go to grab a 20.  This fall I'm probably going to pick up a box of hevishot #4's for next spring's turkey season to have incase I decide to use the browning 20.  If I don't (and probably won't) use it for turkey I'll give the box of #4 hevishot to my dad for his birthday to use on varmints.

I hope this helps!

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Hey Scruffy!!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 02:31:10 PM »
Oh yea - That definitely helps - You are the shotgun man!!
Just purchased a used 20 barrel and needed some good ammo info - you really came through - Thanks again!
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline scruffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Hey Scruffy!!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 04:40:11 AM »
Hey, no problem.  Glad to help.  It's hard to beat a good shotgun.  8)

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun