Author Topic: 8MM Lee Cast Bullets  (Read 511 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
8MM Lee Cast Bullets
« on: July 20, 2004, 04:33:04 PM »
Well finally got around to casting a pot ( Lee Production Pot) of 8MM out of wheel weights with the Lee mold. Got 212 cast bullets out of the pot with a inch of metal still on the bottom of the pot. Filled it up again and called it a night. I figure 200 + bullets paid for the mold first time out. Bullets measured .324 as cast so I am going to tumble lube some and shoot as is with 16 grains of 2400. I have a .323 sizer on order (Lee) and will gas check some when I get that for now I will shoot some un- gas checked to see how they do with a plinker load. 16 grains or 2400 is supposed to give or take around 1500 depending on the cartridge used. (C.E.Harris Load) Probably be a few days before I shoot but will post results when I do. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Leftoverdj

8MM Lee Cast Bullets
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 06:27:10 PM »
Jim, without GCs those bullets are going to be very limited in velocity before accuracy vanishes. I would suggest something like 8 grains of Unique.

When you get your sizer, I would suggest you only do about 50 bullets until you see how they work. 8 mm Mauser barrels are all over the place and .323 may be too small. You can lap that sizer out if you need to.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline 86fan

Lee *mm
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 06:53:20 PM »
Jim, I have had good luck with te Lee 225gc mould I bought last year from the old shooters.com site. I used 16 grs of 2400 and it seems to be very promising. 16 grs seems to produce a pretty respectable "crack", I have not chronographed it yet. So far I have only had one chance to try them out, and I was shooting from cross sticks in the sitting position, and suspect it will do much better off the bench. I bought a .325 sizer to size and seat gas checks, I didn't try any without the gaschecks so cant advise on that. I lube with my own homemade blackpowder lube and seems to work fine. I am shooting these in a Turkish Mauser. I also seat the bullet out so that the entire first grease groove is exposed (no lube in this groove), and the rifling is just engraving the bullet when it is chambered. I have another 20 loaded up with 2400, then will give 4198 a try next. I home to get to the range again in the next few days and will post on it again. Tom

Offline jh45gun

8MM Lee Cast Bullets
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 06:54:13 PM »
Quote from: Leftoverdj
Jim, without GCs those bullets are going to be very limited in velocity before accuracy vanishes. I would suggest something like 8 grains of Unique.

When you get your sizer, I would suggest you only do about 50 bullets until you see how they work. 8 mm Mauser barrels are all over the place and .323 may be too small. You can lap that sizer out if you need to.

My barrel is like new and tight. When I slugged it I got .323 if memory serves me right no more than .324 as I was supprised how tight is was. :) So even .323 should obtrude enough I would think. Will know when I shoot some. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.