Author Topic: 45C in a .410 barrel?  (Read 782 times)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
45C in a .410 barrel?
« on: July 21, 2004, 04:03:37 PM »
Ok now I got another question. A friend and I were talking tonight and he seems to think it would be ok to shoot the 45 Colt round thru the .410 shotgun barrel. Now I know it is possible and ok to shoot the .410 thru the 45 Colt barrel since these can be ordered thru the barrel accessory program, but am not sure about the reverse. Anyone have any input. BTW - I am talking about the H&R barrel or a Pardner barrel.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
45C in a .410 barrel?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 08:34:46 AM »
Not sure if the bore diameters are the same.  However, even if you could chamber and shoot the 45 Colt in a smooth bore .410 barrel I would expect horrendous accuracy.   Rifling is required to impart spin on the bullet in order to stabilize it.   It would be like throwing a football without a spiral.  Why not shoot .410 gage shotgun slugs if you want to throw one big lump of lead?  By the way, shotgun slugs work because they are made with "rifling" on them that imparts the spin.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
45C in a .410 barrel?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 08:45:52 AM »
NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!! don't try to shoot 45 ammo in a 410. come on now............... if you want to throw a bitg piece of lead, just use a slug.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
45C in a .410 barrel?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 11:54:35 AM »
That's what I thougth but he insisted that it was possible and that accuracy should be good at the closer ranges. I said no - he said yes - I said I'll post and find out   :wink:
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
DANGER
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 12:50:30 PM »
A .410 BARREL IS A .....410 DIAMETER, A 44 CAL IS .429, A 45 CAL IS 457 DIAMETER.  THIS IS SELF EXPLANATORY.  44 HAVE BEEN SHOT IN 410 BUT WITH SOFT LEAD HANDLOADED BULLETS.  AND THE ACCURACY IS NOT AS GOOD WITH A 410 SLUG. :roll: [/u][/b]

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
45C in a .410 barrel?
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 02:36:26 PM »
Duh!!!  I don't believe I missed that!  :roll: I new that at one time.   Well you know what they say about the 3 signs of growing old... The first thing to go is your memory, I forget the other two.  :lol:
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
45C in a .410 barrel?
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 01:39:12 AM »
DO NOT SHOOT ANYTHING BUT 410s in a 410 barrel.  There is always alot of confusion around this subject. Let me try to explain it again.  Years ago there were guns made  to chamber .44-40.  They would also chamber and fire 410s. More recently that idea was revived by Thompson Center in there Contenders,  H&R, and a company called Cobray. However they used the .45 Colt/410 combo instead of the .44-40.  These guns were designed to handle the higher pressures generated by the metalic cartridges and would easily handle the pressure of the 410.  Guns designed for the 410 ARE NOT designed to handle the pressure generated by the .45 colt or other metallic cartridges.  If you try to fire a .45 or .44-40 in a 410 there is a very good chance you will damage the gun and cause serious injury to the shooter and anyone standing in the immediate area.  If you want a gun that will shoot both types of ammo buy one that was made to do so.
Hope this helps.
Tony212