Author Topic: had to blast a snake  (Read 940 times)

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
had to blast a snake
« on: July 28, 2004, 03:31:02 PM »
sadly enough, i had to shoot a snake today. my neighbor had two trees cut down that were dead and full of carpenter ants. the tree dude felled both trees and started chunking them up to make them easier to move. out of one section popped an adder about 5 feet long. i tried to coax him/her into the woods but he/she insisted on coming back after one of my wife dachshunds. i take great pains to preserve wildlife, tree's, and the landscape. but this little guy wouldn't give up. he hit me 3 times on the boot, slithered back after bagging him up and releasing well into the woods.

so i had to make the tough decision and dispatch him with my .410 handi.

not a happy day.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
had to blast a snake
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 03:56:46 PM »
Sounds like you did everything you could do before putting it down.  I ain't afraid of much but snakes and me just don't get along...I would have put the gun to him/her allot sooner then you did.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Flingarrows

• Trade Count: (1)
had to blast a snake
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 04:18:16 PM »
im with dave on that one

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
had to blast a snake
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 04:25:03 PM »
I'm with Dave and Fling on that....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
had to blast a snake
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 04:48:22 PM »
Gonna have to count me in with the other guys.

Gun Runner

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
had to blast a snake
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 04:58:47 PM »
At least you tried to do the right thing. When they still don't get the idea you made the only choice there was. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
had to blast a snake
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 03:25:56 PM »
Sorry but when it comes to snakes I shoot first and ask questions later. This may not be the PC thing to do, but I have had to jump from too many copperheads that were just too close.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
had to blast a snake
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 04:04:38 PM »
I usually toss em but they have never come back like that except for one that fell out of a tree we were working under. setting up a tent for a high end wedding. It came slithering back and I tossed in the field again and forgot about it. During to wedding reception it came back and the brides grandfather hacked it up in front of the guests with a hoe. I can just picture the scene.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
had to blast a snake
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 04:18:43 PM »
I had to cut one up with an ax to kill it when I was about 12 years old and can still remember it after 48 years!!!....<><.... :eek:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
had to blast a snake
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 05:52:56 PM »
yeah i whacked one with a hoe once. i was 8 and i thought i was saving my gramma from the killer snake. lol

youd think it had killed several people and was on the news, by the way she freaked out when she saw it slither across her driveway.  :)

honestly i am having a tough time thinking of a scenario where i would or could feel bad about killing a snake. kinda like Democrats, theyre better off that way so they dont ruin life for the rest of us. lol
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
had to blast a snake
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2004, 02:06:15 AM »
:)

Offline jschance

• Avid Poster
had to blast a snake
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 06:59:21 AM »
My mother in law falls into the category of unreasonable respose to snakes.

They say when presented with situations like this, folks will have the fight or flight response.  Her response in uncontrolled fight.

I've seen her chop up a garter snake into so many pieces that I don't think we ever found all of them.  :eek:

Offline ogo

had to blast a snake
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 08:09:23 AM »
Myself,I'm only afraid of two kind of snake's BIG one's and LITTLE one's LOL**************ogo

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
had to blast a snake
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 08:41:25 AM »
You're a better man than me Scattergunner...I'd have shot it much sooner than you.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
had to blast a snake
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 09:02:44 AM »
The first critter I ever shot was a black snake that decided to hang from an apple tree along the path to our outdoor privy (yes I am that old). My mother had to make the trip and ran face first into the snake. She screamed and kept yelling for me to get the shotgun. I was 5 at the time but I knew which gun was kept loaded. So I grabbed the shotgun and ran to her aid.  She reached for the gun but being the man I was I couldn't let her do a man's job. So I shot that horrible snake and saved Mamma.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
had to blast a snake
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2004, 09:54:38 AM »
Dang I thought I had a couple of snake stories to tell but I think I have been out done  :-D
from Tennessee---Paul