Author Topic: quiet deer caliber for urban hunting  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
quiet deer caliber for urban hunting
« on: May 28, 2004, 10:33:12 PM »
Hello, I need help on finding a new caliber. I hunt in an area with neighbors close by. All the houses are in a row, so no danger of stray bullets finding thier way into a house. Last year I took 5 deer out of this patch of woods, which I own. I got 5 complaints at the sheriifs office which I work for. There is no ordinance on shooting firearms or hunting where I live. All hunting is during the day. At any rate I was using a 30/30. I have  a group of neighbors that are antis. My first thought was to use my 7mm mag, but the sheriff wants to keep the peace due to election time. Any thoughts?
Molon labe

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 02:10:26 AM »
I dont think your gonna get much quieter than the 30/30.  Here is my suggestion though.  A 12ga with a long tube, say 28 inches, and using slugs is about as quiet as your probably ever gonna find.  The longer tube allows for a longer burn which means less of a blast as the projectile exits.  I dont know at what ranges you usually shoot, but if rifled slugs at about 50 yards is too short then moving up to a rifled choke tube and sabot slugs might get you better accuracy out to 100 yards or better.  A slug, assuming it can group well and you do your part, can take deer close to 200 yards.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 02:05:46 PM »
Ever think about a cross-bow?

I've never used one, but I understand that the more powerful cross-bows shoot like a rifle out to about 80 yards.  No firearm would be as quiet as a cross-bow and a cross-bow doesn't require the practice a long-bow or compound bow requires.  I've even seen cross-bows with a telescopic sight on them.

Since you "know" your woods and the neighbors are "anti's"... a silent weapon like a cross-bow would be "perfect" for your needs as long as the shots 80 yards or less... and since you undoubtedly know where to ambush the deer in your own woods, the range at which you must shoot should be well-within a strong cross-bow's effective range.

Something to think about...

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 03:24:49 PM »
Bugflipper,

Maybe they would not have complained if you had not left the five gut piles on their laws.  Not to suggest anything there.

But I think you might give some consideration to bowhunting.

Offline 209x50

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 02:13:21 AM »
Wow Wow Wow.....a crossbow is not some laser guided missle.  80 yards is not even thinkable!!  A crossbow is accurate out to about 40 yards, past that holdover starts to become excessive.  This idea that a crossbow is so much more deadly, and can shoot to 80-100 yards is the reason that it is banned in alot of different states and prov's.  Certainly it is a very effective weapon within limits, and would suit your anti-hunting neighbours well, but don't give up gun hunting to satisfy them...bring out the 7 MAG and show them who boss...a few good blasts at sunrise should do the trick.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 06:44:04 AM »
Hmmmmmmm.....

Ok, I stand corrected.  So a "strong" crossbow is a 40 yard weapon rather than an 80 yard weapon.  Like I said, I don't know much about a crossbow, but I do "know" about how to get along with people and get them to be "agreeable" if it's possible.

I'm sure you know of an "ambush spot" in your woods that will put you within "40 yards" of the deer so set up in that "spot" & STILL use that relatively silent cross-bow on the deer.  That will make your BOSS happy and your neighbors will stop making complaints about you shooting a high-powered rifle around their homes.

Just wondering... have you gone to EACH of your neighbors and EXPLAINED that you are not only an experienced hunter, but a VERY CAREFUL one and you are ALWAYS very careful NOT to shoot in the direction of ANY home or dwelling (like a barn with stock in it)?!?  Doing so might ease your neighbor's minds considerably and cause them to worry less (or not-at-all) about you firing a high-powered rifle near their homes.

Sometimes what one has a "right" to do doesn't always mean they should do it without being considerate and looking at the situation from the other man's viewpoint.  How would you feel if I were firing one of my center-fire rifle near YOUR house and you didn't know how careful I was being about the direction in which I was shooting?!?

Of course, you COULD blast away with your magnum at dawn and "show them who's boss", but then, YOUR BOSS might decide he doesn't need YOU, as an employee, as much as he needs those 10 votes, assuming your 5 neighbors each have a wife who would vote the same as her husband!  If that happened, then you could spend your deer-hunting time looking for a new job instead of hunting deer.

Unfortunately, a center-fire rifle's bullet, even when fired within a man's own woods, might very well travel OUTSIDE his woods and onto someone's else's property... or through the walls of someone else's home.  Maybe that's what your neighbors are worried about, eh?

Last time I checked, discretion was STILL the better part of valor... and being a "good neighbor" usually gets a man a LOT further than doing as he pleases, regardless of how it effects his neighbors and/or makes them feel.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 03:01:47 PM »
Ya know thanks to Mr Krupinski, I forgot all about Bowhunting.  That seems like a PERFECT solution.  You wont really need to spend a whole lot more than you would if you bought a new gun.  You will need extra practice, but your neighbors will probably never know you were even near their home anymore.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Robert

Whisper or 7.62x39
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 06:29:37 PM »
Either one of these with light loads and heavy bullets out of a 20+ inch barrel will be very quiet.
  I have loaded my SKS all the way down to 3.0 grs of Red Dot with 200 gr cast bullets...works fine in the .310 barrel, but will get stuck in a .308 barrel.  Of course you don't have to go that light.  I haven't tried them on deer, but I bet 4.0-5.0 grs would put a deer down within 50 yds.
....make it count

Offline Dezertyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 04:30:52 AM »
Bugflipper,
You fishing around to see whos an experienced poacher :)
I'll have to ask some of the ole boys around here what  their favorite poaching technics are and i'll get back to ya shortly. :lol:

Go with the bow, its another avenue for more time in the field.
Blow a vintage Circe dinner bell and they will come...

Offline Masterblaster1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
quiet deer caliber
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 11:17:58 AM »
My vote would be for a 12 guage shotgun with a longer barrel and buckshot. If you are getting within 40 yards or so you will be fine as long as you pattern your gun first. Also with buckshot there would be less chance of a bullet going astray-because a 00 buck weighs 53 grains and a 30-30 bullet is either125,150,or 170 grains and it is a bullet not a round ball.

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 01:50:00 PM »
300 whisper with sub-sonic loads is the perfect suburban deer rifle.  Check out SSK Industries for info on their whisper line of cartridges.  www.sskindustries.com

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 05:05:57 PM »
If what you are doing is legal and there is no danger to others then i would keep using my 30-30. You own the land you have a right to hunt on it just as they have a right to not hunt on their land. I would tell them before hunting season starts that you WILL be hunting on your land and show them that it is not illegal. They may not know what you are doing is OK or that you are hunting.

Now if you where shooting after hours or late at night I could see problems but not during normal hunting hours. BTW make sure you post your land well enough so everyone knows.

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 12:39:11 PM »
Quote from: rickyp
If what you are doing is legal and there is no danger to others then i would keep using my 30-30. You own the land you have a right to hunt on it just as they have a right to not hunt on their land. I would tell them before hunting season starts that you WILL be hunting on your land and show them that it is not illegal. They may not know what you are doing is OK or that you are hunting.

Now if you where shooting after hours or late at night I could see problems but not during normal hunting hours. BTW make sure you post your land well enough so everyone knows.

I agree with all this but if you really want to do something and still want to use a rifle apply for a class three permit for a silencer and get you a good 7mm/08 to mount it on...this would be rather expensive but it would be a lot quieter than what your using and would be simply a blast to own...In my state once you get the permit for the silencer you can use it for hunting...

the 12ga. with a long barrel using 1 ounce slugs does produce a lower decibel sound than a high-power centerfire.
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 01:32:45 PM »
if you havent talked with them, try it.  i am assuming that you have made the effort.   were it me, after i made the effort, i would continue my law abiding past time.   i think after an honest effort is made, we owe nothing more to the anti's.   we are way too accomidating to them, to the point that they have gotten as far as they have.   just stay legal, and dont give them any legitimate complaint.

Offline Robert

A while back I purchased a 357 maximum.....
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 07:03:08 AM »
Shortly after that I bought a Lyman mold for 280 gr cast bullets.  Very nice combination.  You don't have to use 280 gr bullets..210 gr hard-cast bullets are readily available and I am sure would also do a nice job.
 .....with the 280 gr bullets...I am using normal 357 mag brass, and it still comes out to the proper over-all-length with the long bullets...but I don't have to stuff them so deep in the brass.  Also...they are easier to identify from my other loads.  I have used 3.0 and 4.0 grs of Red Dot.  4.0 penetrates better..but of course it is also louder....still...it makes a wonderful Urban Deer Round for my back-yard.  I am shooting them through a 21 inch Contender.  I can't wait till deer season...I really want to try it.  My situation is very similar to yours, even though it is totally legal for me to shoot here....I keep it to a minimum....no need to scare the little people.  P.S. These bullets also work great in my Whelen, which is why I got the mold...that is what I will be using when I am hunting off my property.
....make it count

Offline Robert

Here's another pic...
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 07:39:59 AM »
This is the 280 Lyman shot into a 6x8 Glue-Lam beam with only 3.0 grs of Red Dot.....I do beleive it will drop a deer at close range.
....make it count

Offline Robert

just a thought......
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 07:42:41 AM »
I was thinking of trying some of these backwards....sledge-hammer.
....make it count

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 08:12:50 AM »
Bugflipper, you might try to desynthesize the neighbors by setting up a 25 yd range on your property and shooting a small caliber every few days.  You could even post a sign on the gate with something like "private rifle range."  Then the do gooders would know someone was not being murdered every time they heard a shot.  When deer season rolls around, one slightly louder shot would mean nothing to them, other than old so and so is down there shooting at his range again.
good luck,
james

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 09:13:46 AM »
The ultimate snipper rifle,One I consider Is a 50cal Dragon air rifle using 250gr pellet traveling around 900fps. This air rifle operates under 3,000psi, you can get 5 good shots before having to fill the air chamber. I own one and I will tell you the rifle is not that loud compared to a center fire and has plenty of power to kill any deer, there is other air rifles that can do the same, I think this is your best weapon for the the situation you described. When it comes to being stealth this is a option. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

This was sheet metal and two sheets of plywood I shot when sighting in
the dragon 50 cal, groups were tight using a 3x9x50 scope rested.
penatrated everything.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2004, 09:18:47 AM »
What's wrong with using a 44 mag?

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2004, 06:03:50 PM »
I KNOW how bug feels! I have hunted on property that was close to new housing developements in Md. Some of these anti's could care less about YOUR rights and hobbies,THEY want to watch the CUTE deer eating in the fields no matter how much damage they (deer) do. I've had them call the police on me threaten me,and actually come into the area I was hunting and interfere with my hunting. They cut my tires and danced around my stand daring me to come down and face them.Remember,I was holding a firearm when they were doing this!?? Yes ,I had talked to these YO-YO's,and decided to carry a cell phone with me. The ringleader was arrested and fined for interfereing with a legal hunt,I had to call AAA for tire repairs.Later a couple of them threw paint on my truck.
  All this is to say, no matter what you do they will think YOU are wrong!
These people let their kids ride 4 wheelers and motor bikes in the field."It is only grass" was their comment when the police confiscated the toys.

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2004, 04:00:54 PM »
I would use a 22 Hornet, 218 Bee or something similar!

Either of these (out to a 100 yards and possibly further) will easily drop a whitetail!

If I was the "legally" required distance from the neighbors houses, out-buildings, etc., I would probably just continue to hunt and not worry about them!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline jgalar

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2004, 05:16:51 PM »
What about a large caliber muzzleloader. I 58 caliber roundball even at subsonic speeds should be both quite and effective.

Offline shooter444002

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2004, 12:50:17 PM »
I would get a $200 dollar stamp and go through the paper work and get a can. Silencer would be best bet if legal to hunt with in your area. The U.S. is backwards in their thinking on silencers, they are what make good neighbors in other countries. Bad part is probably isnt legal to deer hunt with. Know several that use them on varmints, does away with having to worry about hearing protection to.