Author Topic: my project....need input  (Read 967 times)

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
my project....need input
« on: July 26, 2004, 03:28:14 PM »
i have a pardner youth 20 gauge. i dont like the 22" barrel but i like the fit. so i plan to get a 26" barrel for it and turn my current 22" into a slug barrel. no big deal. i have plans for what it should look like and i want to make it a nice rig.

however i need some open sights for it. it wont shoot worth a damn if i cant adjust the point of impact into a decently small (4 inches or so) group. anyone have an idea where i can get some sights for it? very simple rugged sights will do. this is going to be used for home defense and for up to 75 yard shots at deer, using 2 3/4 inch slug shells.

also i need a way to mount the sights. should i cut a couple inches off the end and have a 20" barrel, to get rid of some of the choke?
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
my project....need input
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 04:34:53 PM »
I just bumped a couple of threads about getting a peep sight on a Tracker II back to the top for you. They cover pretty much what you need to know.

I'd avoid shortening that barrel any. It's short enough. Best way to get rid of the choke is with an expansion reamer. Leave a tiny bit of choke, .003-.005". Next best is with a brake cylinder hone.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline mjbgalt

ok...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 06:53:43 PM »
but do i NEED to remove the choke? can i leave it as is?

also, where did you get the sights and how much $$ are we talkin here? i wanted to spend less than 50 bucks since i could get a fully rifled one from NEF for $58 plus shipping.

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
my project....need input
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 08:34:21 PM »
i wanted to spend less than 50 bucks since i could get a fully rifled one from NEF for $58 plus shipping.

Not any more. That's $58 plus $15 fitting charge plus $10 shipping plus the cost of sending your receiver and foreend. Besides the barrel you have now is not rifled and the one you are talking about getting is. Unless you intend to do a LOT of cleaning on it after shooting rifled foster slugs, then the ammo is much higher for it than for the one you already have. I'd get some plain cheap foster type slugs for that youth 20 and shoot them first thru it just like it is before I'd try anything else. The 20 gauges seem to handle slugs thru their choking better than the 12's and the youth barrel is a fine little slug gun as is. My grandson has one and it shoots slugs with just the bead sight into a 5" circle all day at 50 yds.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
my project....need input
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 03:11:35 AM »
lik2hunt is correct, most 20's with modified chokes shoot slugs great as is....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
my project....need input
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 06:04:09 AM »
I have to agree with lik2hunt and MSP Ret. I have the youth model pardner and it will group as is into about 4" at 50 yds all day long. This is with the bead only. I keep planning to juice it up with a scope or red dot but it really isn't necessary. I think you will find that the mod. choke will handle foster slugs pretty well. I use winchester, but most of the slug brands do quite well. Possibly Brenneke will do even better. Shoot it a while as is and get a good feel for what it will do. Then make the changes you feel are needed. These are great little guns to build whatever you wish.

Offline ScatterGunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
my project....need input
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 11:27:03 AM »
i havent had problems shooting slugs through the full choke on my 20 gauge pardner. i never "patterned" it but i also never had leading or any other problems. i'd leave it as is and just shoot it !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline mjbgalt

my project....need input
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 05:06:44 AM »
ok updates...

i got one of those shell holders for my stock, just for the convenience, and plus the shells in there will make it heavier so it doesnt kick me as hard.

i also found something that may help all of us. i didnt want to shoot slugs through a youth model pardner, mainly because it would feel like a horse kicking me in the shoulder. so i set about thinking how to solve the problem. i found that rolled nickels fit exactly into the hole under the buttpad, that leads to the bolt that attaches the receiver to the stock. i managed to get 2.5 rolls into there, and since they fit snugly they dont rattle around and can be easily removed by taking off the pad and shaking gently.

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
my project....need input
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 05:46:41 AM »
I have the shell holder on my Pardner as well. I also installed a good recoil pad. The recoil is managable now, but I may put some weight into the butt stock. I will have to try this and see if it adds too much weight for easy carry. I do a lot of walking with this little gun so weight is important.

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
my project....need input
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 08:19:14 AM »
I like the nickel rolls idea!  :idea:  I filled my 12 gauge with #6 birdshot and reinstalled the buttpad over a piece of napkin just to hold poressure against the shot. I also use the shell holder on it for weight too. This is all on a sawed-off Pardner 12 shooting 2 3/4" and 3" slugs.
I don't feel that so much measure will be necessary in adding weight to the 20 gauge. I'll post more about it after I finish my current 20 gauge project. I have decided to first shoot some 2 3/4" slugs thru it as is to determine felt recoil and accuracy, I then intend to have it drilled and tapped for the standard NEF rail and add a cheap 4x32 scope and weight the buttstock if neccessary. Then test again. To have this one clipped off will be a last resort.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
my project....need input
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 08:22:51 AM »
Oh yea.....I use the Pach slip-on recoil pad on the 12 gauge also.
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline mjbgalt

my project....need input
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 09:25:23 AM »
glad you liked the idea. since its wrapped coins, you can adjust it by putting less nickels in the roll to make it fit tighter or looser. i am pretty happy with it although it makes it butt-heavy. but if i put a scope on it, it should balance out.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
my project....need input
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 04:11:05 PM »
Rolls of nickles! That's what I love about this board.I would have never come up with that. If you were ever really down on your luck you'd have enough for a burger and a beer.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline mjbgalt

my project....need input
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 05:49:56 PM »
yeah, lol, i am known to come up with some odd ideas. the difference is that THIS one works. lol

I had to rig a new hinge on my fridge the other day since they dont make em anymore. MacGuyver's got nothin on me lol