Author Topic: I was out scoouting today...  (Read 638 times)

Offline THE#1hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I was out scoouting today...
« on: July 29, 2004, 05:26:20 AM »
I just got back from doin a little scouting, not really for deer, but for treestand placement, and I was walking up to this tree that seemed to be in a good location, and this white flash(deer tale) caught my eye..I looked over and there was a deer about 45 yards away feeding. I said to myself, that deer is acting a lot like a buck, and sure enough, it had extra ears. While im watching this one, trying to figure out how big it was, a spot of brown catches my eye...Knowing that bucks travel together this time of year..I started getting anxious to see wut this was, and sure enough, another buck(not as big of a body though), it was awful thick, so I diddnt get a good idea of wut they were, but still that has to be a good sign  :grin: . I have a good idea where I want to hang my stand  8) , but the only thing im worried about is if the deer caught a glimse of me as I was walkin out, i dont think they did but if they did, do you think it would affect there patterns?
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 05:39:00 AM »
In the past two days there has been a lot of deer activity,two days ago I was driving down the old 101 in NH, going home from work, a huge buck ran right out in the road, I was doing 45 miles a hour,He was heading right to my truck, knew I could not stop in time, so  dropped into 4th and punched it, I got around him and he only hit the back of my bumper, no damage to my Jeep Cherokee or the deer, just a few deer hairs on the bumper ;) then a day later driving home near my house, I live on the backside of a big farm, another big buck with a huge rack in Velvet came running out at my truck, I was going slow, so I stopped, the buck just stared at me for ten seconds then ran back into the field behind my house, deer seem to be attracted to me lately, too bad its not season 8)
oh well, I'm taking it easy and keeping a good eye open for more to jump in front of my truck, just paid it off, thats all I need is to total my truck or even kill myself, It happens around here at times, drive safe and keep a eye open for animals. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 09:21:18 AM »
I have been watching deer all summer in my hunting area. Right now there are 9 doe's and 6 bucks in my area. two spikes, two  6  points a 9 point and a real nice 10 point. Eastern count.  I will miss the first 10 days of bow season, I will be in Alaska on a Caribou hunt.  :-D  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 02:28:30 PM »
I don't think it will affect thier pattern unless somehow the deer in your woods are different than the ones in mine, I have shot two deer within days of each other at the same spot, so If a BOOM dont change them around, what will????

To be safe I would hang your stand and put a pair of dirty jeans in it and forget about it until opening day....just my  :money:

I have a couple cousins from up north and they used to argue that every little thing you do would would run the deer plum out of the country, and for the life of them they still dont know how I can sneak through the woods following a herd while they are munching on acorns....they even give up on deer that they jump up while I just make a BIG circle using the wind and 50% of the time I am able to get another look at the deer(which oddly enough a jumped deer seems to come back to "see" what jumped them up in the first place)...guess its just the way we are raised and taught that sets us apart as humans.........
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 05:07:11 PM »
Thanks 7mag, I dont think they saw me, but I was just wondering because I kno a guy like your cousins and he was cussin about me goin in there and mabye spookin them, but then again, I seem to get more deer than he does.  Anybody else seeing any buck around?
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Big

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 05:19:44 PM »
#1, your activity may or may not spook the deer away.  You just never know. As the seasons change, critters' habit patterns change.  Buck bachelor groups begin breaking up, does start smellin' sexy, and they're all looking for different food sources as fresh greens begin to hide for the winter. The big buck in velvet who feeds on the clover near your bird feeder at 6:03 pm every day during the summer will probably vanish as the days begin to shorten.  This may or may not have anything to do with your stompin' around outside.  Some bucks I've known seem to carry a calendar, and just KNOW when season starts, and where they get shot at.  O' course, might have something to do with me and a buncha other smelly humans taking to the trees out where he lives.
"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 06:21:37 PM »
Bucks do change thier patterns during rut, they chase after the slick-heads with almost no regard to any other creature except the slick-heads and the other bucks triing to get the slick-heads, I have seen nice bucks repeatably walk out in the open just because the does are "safe" big mistake on thier part, If you do your part as a hunter and actually "hunt"  the deer you should have no problems filling your tag(s) (It is important to keep scouting year round too) I have been hunting a particular set of woods for 15 years and I can almost set my clock with the herds even after all these years.

But note Big is right about the seasonal habits which is why I prefer to Stalk hunt and generally when I get in a tree there is not even a stand in it, the key to sucessfull hunting is to do as our ancestors did and change with them. 2 more :money:  from me

Some of the bucks will be run off do to the whitetails natural course to prevent imbreeding, but I think everyone already knows that.

Good Luck to all this year.
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor