Author Topic: Cast bullet performance?  (Read 758 times)

Offline erickrschaefer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Cast bullet performance?
« on: July 25, 2004, 09:34:07 AM »
I realize cast bullets really penetrate well and out of a 44 are leaving a big hole to start with but how do they leave a bigger wound channel than there original diameter? It is my understanding that they will leave a wound channel bigger than there diameter. Is this true or have I been misinformed. I am new to using cast bullets and have not shot any game with them but sure do love the accuracy and penetration I am getting. My favorite shot on a deer is high through the shoulders and I am hoping a good cast bullet will do the job.

Thanks,
Erick

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
Cast bullet performance?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 09:46:34 AM »
Shock wave from the bullet creates the larger wound channel. The displaced tissue has to go somewhere and it destroys more tissue as it goes. Throw a rock horizonally into a pond to get a crude visual.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline erickrschaefer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Cast bullet performance?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 10:00:50 AM »
Makes sense to me. I guess that bullet really does some damage even though it doesn't expand.

Erick

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Cast bullet performance?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 05:18:32 AM »
The back issue section of sixgunner.com has a good list of articles on the subject. But in a nutshell for hard cast bullet, it must have a flat tip to produce a larger than caliber wound channel.  If the bullet was round nose it would produce a smaller than caliber wound channel.   The rock example was good becauselike the flat face of the rock  the flat tip of the bullet causes cavitation and its that cavitation that causes the wound channel to be larger that the caliber of the bullet.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline bfoster

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.cardingtonmachine.com
Cast bullet performance?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 05:58:28 PM »
My preference, backed by some experience, is to use a somewhat softer bullet for hunting that I use for target shooting.

With cast SWC 44 calibre hunting bullets alloyed to produce a hardness of about 15 Bhn, I have recovered some bullets in deer that expanded to ~0.65/0.70". Sure, the bore will eventually lead foul with bullets of this hardness if you're loading your 44 Mag to near maximum pressure, but if your revolver has a decent bore it will take perhaps 30 shots before practical offhand accuracy is much affected, more shots (I sincerely hope)  than anyone would use in a day of hunting.

Bob

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Cast bullet performance?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 12:07:21 AM »
from past experience id say that the average .44 swc leaves a 1-2 inch exit wound in a whitetail sized animal.
blue lives matter