Author Topic: Dross Help!  (Read 563 times)

Offline Boge

• Trade Count: (0)
Dross Help!
« on: August 23, 2004, 06:26:43 PM »
I helped a buddy start casting today and had something very interesting happen. Firstly, all the eqpmt. was new, Lee 20 lb. (ladle only) furnace and a Rowell ladle. The alloy was 20 to 1 that he bought from a major company. Well, we cast some great bullets but I have never seen so much dross! It was awful! I usually use a cast iron pot and a turkey burner and have never had this much dross! We'd flux it with beeswax and a match then stir & 5 mins. later more dross! Im thinking that it could only be the alloy he bought, but why wouldn't all the dross come to the surface with the first flux?  :?:  :?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Dross Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 12:05:31 AM »
theres a good chance that what your dealing with is oxidized lead at the surface. Not much you can do about it when your ladle casting except to keep fluxing.
blue lives matter

Offline jgalar

Dross Help!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 01:24:50 AM »
Also the lead temperature may have been way to hot. Using a lyman lead thermometer I found my Lee pot is the correct temperature when set at only 3 to 4.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Dross Help!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 06:21:23 AM »
Somethings not right. If it's something you're doing wrong: most likely, "too much heat." If it's not your fault: most likely, "bad alloy."
Joshua 1:9

Offline Boge

Dross Help!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 03:53:07 PM »
I talked to my buddy today and he had some good news. He cast some more and this time he used a large ball of beeswax & fluxed the melt until it screamed! hahahah! He said this eliminated almost all of the dross this time. Man, that was a DIRTY batch of supposed foundry alloy! He said he'd never by from this seller again. Thanks, fellas.  :-)