Author Topic: Magma master caster  (Read 741 times)

Offline dogdoc1

• Trade Count: (0)
Magma master caster
« on: August 12, 2004, 05:07:44 PM »
Anybody had any experience with these machines.? What kind of production rates with a 44 cal bullet? thanks

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Magma master caster
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 01:00:12 AM »
These machines provide hands free casting without gloves. Cylce rate for a 2 cavity 44 caibler mould will be every 20 to 30 seconds depending on bullet weight. Magma claims 15 seconds with a 2 cavity 38 caliber 158 grain mould.

The time you spend waiting to cylce the handle can be spent inspecting bullets or using a hand mould under another pot.

The machines are long lasting and mostly trouble free.
Joshua 1:9

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Magma master caster
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 11:37:34 PM »
as creaker said they are probably slower then hand casting with a bottom pour and running a few molds at a time. But there consistant and one big advantage is like he said there hands free so your not handling the lead near as much as you are hand casting. After going through the lead poisoning thing myself im giving serious consideration to one. The biggest draw back to me is the cost of converting all my molds to use them.
blue lives matter

Offline txpete

• Avid Poster
Magma master caster
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 08:20:11 AM »
I have had mine for over 10 years.the only thing I have replaced is the thermostat temp control 10 min job.
with my 44 240 gr mould about 500 an hour would be close.the best part of the master caster is the blower assy which cools off the mould which speeds up production.
158 swc about 800 a hour is about it.the bigger the bullet the slower the casting speed due to heat and mould cooling time.
pete

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Magma master caster
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 12:48:07 AM »
Lloyd if you can find a local machine shop to do the work you may save some money. We had 9 moulds  converted for about 35.00. I ordered the keys and sprue cutters from Magma and was in business.

txpete does yours use the band type heater or the rods?
Joshua 1:9