Author Topic: What wasthe best pistol in 1860?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline m-g Willy

• Trade Count: (0)
What wasthe best pistol in 1860?
« on: August 29, 2004, 11:49:04 AM »
What pistols would you want if you lived in 1860? I would make sure I had a brace of 1860 Colt 44's. ---Or maybe some 44 Remington 1858's ---oooorr a cpl. of single action Starr's  or just maybe that Rogers &Spencer  44, and them Whitney guns might do also. Yep without a doubt I would have pair of a, a ,a, a, a.  Let me think on it some more. :?  :roll: What would you all have?--Willy

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 04:12:09 AM »
What I would want, and what I would own would definately not be the same. Don't forget, back then a new Colt or Remmie cost about a months wages. " I'll take two!" is not the way I would part with a couple of months pay. And I'm not even married! :)  Most likely I would have owned a beat-up 1851 Navy.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline Full House

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 03:54:46 PM »
1860?  I would have wanted any of the 1848 model Dragoons .44...as I have and like them now.

They are awesome with 50 grains and a 143 gr round ball.
Full House

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 06:52:00 PM »
I'm with Fullhouse, a brace of Dragoons in a custom made Sam Browne type rig.  In case your wondering I'm 6'2" and weigh nearly 300 pounds so they wouldn't look that out of place on me. :grin:   Or maybe a couple of Navies due to price.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 04:13:28 AM »
I suspect Dragoons would get heavy if you did much walking about.  Of course, the horse packs most of the weight but I think an 1851 or 1860 is much handier.  The bigger pistols are more powerful but you would probably also have a rifle and/or shotgun to use if the need arose.  The 58 Rem, 51 and 60 Colts were popular for a reason - and the 1873 Colt reflected the same basic proportions to become an almost perfect design for the time.

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 04:48:30 PM »
It'd be a brace of 1851 squareback navies for me!
 Mark.
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 04:12:54 AM »
Definitely a pair of 1851 Colt Navies. And perhaps a Colt 1849 pocket pistol under my coat (shoulder holsters were not uncommon in the old days) in case I needed more than 12 shots.
I'd load each Navy with loose powder, FFFG grade, and a lead ball, then drip beeswax or candlewax over the seated ball and caps to keep moisture out.
The late gun writer Elmer Keith's first revolver was an 1851 Navy. He knew Civil War veterans, who told him that the conical bullet would tend to zip through an enemy trooper, whereas the ball would "take all the fight out of them."
Keith also praised that old Navy for its accuracy, in his book, "Sixguns." He said that at 20 yards (I think that was the distance, I don't have the book with me at work) it would cluster those little 80-grain balls into a silver dollar area.
Keith also notes that its lead ball killed far out of proportion to its size. That pure lead ball, of nearly .40 caliber, tends to flatten on impact.
Also, a rammed ball tends to take on a proto-shape of the modern semiwadcutter. It's best described as a half grapefruit, with a half-orange resting on top, flesh to flesh. This transfers a sizeable amount of energy.
The Navy remains one of the best-balanced and easy-pointing revolvers ever made. Even modern quick-draw artists of today praise it on these counts.
A man well-trained in gun handling tricks can spin, roll, toss and switch it from hand-to-hand with what appears to be ease. However, that "ease" is the result of thousands of hours of practice.
The Remington is a good revolver but it has lousy balance. It's heavy. I've never seen a trick gun handler spin, roll, toss or switch a Remington. The balance just isn't there.
Though the Colt has more parts than the Remington, it's also easier to clean in my experience.
The Colt 1851 Navy was used by soldiers, sailors, miners, gunmen, homesteaders, explorers, guards and others for about 40 years. Though powerful cartridge guns became available in the mid 1870s, it was not totally replaced by them.
Cap and ball sixguns were still used into the 1880s. They were cheap to feed (cartridges were expensive in remote places) but if you had a bullet mold, caps, powder and lead you could keep a cap and ball sixgun running indefinitely.
But oh, lordy! Every try to CAST bullets in one of those little brass moulds? Yeeeowwwwww! The little moulds are clumsy to operate with gloves, though you surely need them. And to do it in a campfire? Sheesh ... I tried that once ... yikes!
I suspect that many blacksmiths made money on the side by casting bullets for the local populace, who didn't want to be bothered.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline HWooldridge

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 08:19:39 AM »
Gato,

I think those little brass molds were intended to have simple wooden handles affixed.  I watched my dad cast some from an original mold when I was a child and he supposedly watched his great-granpa (who was the guy that owned and used the 1860 I have now).  Dad took two pieces of broomstick, split the end with a hand saw and then tied them on with baling wire.  Didn't look like much but it worked well enough to make 40-50 balls.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 10:20:30 AM »
For the ultimate in power, I guess I'd take my trusty and beloved Walkers.
  For every day carry and still retaining a good deal of that punch, I'd opt for my ivory handled New Model Army of 1860. Only about half the powder capacity, but there is a bit of a weight reduction. In my experience
the Colts have a much nicer "feel in the hand". A combination of balance and ergonomics, I suppose. And they don't clog up as quickly as a Remington does. Esthetically, in my humble opinion, th Colt comes out on top once more. It is indeed a handsome piece. I have often marvelled at
how "right" Colt got it when it came to the appearence of his revolvers. If
ever form following function produced art, this must be one of the finest examples.
 The argument that the Remington is stronger because it has a top strap seems an ironclad truism until you realize how many Colts have survived -many of them still in shootable condition. The Remington's main advantage is the ability to swap in loaded spare cylinders quickly-an edge
somewhat blunted by the fact that they foul more rapidly. I like my Remington, and bought it because of this capability, but the fouling issues,
poor balance, shorter grip and somewhat awlward grip-hammer-trigger relationship relegate it to second place in my do or list of C&B revolvers.
  When it absolutely, positively has to go BANG, I'll take a Colt any day.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Somerled

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 05:35:47 PM »
The 1851 Navy handles better for me than the Colt .44s, both the Dragoon or the 1860. If I didn't have a 1859 Sharps, I'd probably pick the .44 for the extra power.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
President Theodore Roosevelt, San Francisco, Calif., May 13, 1903