Author Topic: Crow hunting in North Carolina  (Read 1373 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Crow hunting in North Carolina
« on: August 16, 2004, 09:42:01 AM »
Hey guys/Gals I'm going out on a crow hunt this saturday.   I'm thinking of taking my new 410 as my primary gun with my tried and true 16 ga as a back up gun.  What do you all think about a 410 for crow hunting ?

Thanks
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 04:41:03 PM »
I haven't tried crows yet but I hear they are pretty tuff customers with very sharp eyesight.   You'll probably need to be well camouflaged and call them in close to bag them with a .410.  Some kind of decoy(s) with movement to help keep their attention off of looking for you might help also.  where are you in NC Dave? I live down in Stanly County just east of Charlotte.  If you are close maybe we could hook up some time and do some shooting.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 10:09:03 AM »
sure it will :-D drop 'em dead :biggun: . try 3'' #7 1/2   11/16oz  or  3'' #8  11/16oz. some people use nothing smaller then #6 but i've seen crows hit w/ 3'' 12 ga. #6 and seen JUICE squirt out of 'em but they ''kep on goin ''. i've shot crows w/ 8# using either 12 or .410 and the only visible marks of them being hit is little grey ''spots'' on the feathers but they shur did CROAK!!!.  what kind of 16 ga. and .410 bore are ya usin???
later :D buckslayer :wink:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 10:12:37 AM »
P.S daveH check your private messeges thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
later :D buckslayer :wink:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 03:55:09 PM »
a 410 on crow is a good, use hand loads, use H110, #4's or 6's and get on them like lightning, 3" 11/16 oz is even better if you can find them or load them.

crow stew:

6 - 8 crow breasts
1 head escarole
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
1 onion
1 qt chicken stock
1/2 handfull cilantro
1 tblsp basil
salt

chop up everything, add to stock, simmer an hour or so. top with parmesan or shredded cheddar cheese. serve with good stories and a few beers. arturo fuente opus X cigars for dessert !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 04:12:54 AM »
Woke up yesterday to a damp cloudy morning with a light rain.  What the heck we went any way.  As we got the decoys setup the rain stopped and the sun came out.... (Now that was a good sign)  I had heard of a trick that I never tried so I decided to give it a try.  The night before I went to the store and bough a cheap cheese pizza. I put it out that night in front of our blind. when we got to the site we set the decoys around the pizza and cranked up the Cass Creek Electronic Crow Call.  If you haven't seen one of these thing they are great.  Its a pocket size electronic call.  Within 10 minutes we had the first scouts flying in to check out the food call.  We let them go and about 15 minutes later we had them back with their buddies.  I used my new 410 at the first setup it impress me I was using remington express long range 3" with 6 shot.  Between the three of us we dropped 16 birds in less then an hour.  After the crows figured that this wasn't a good place for eating we packed up and moved to our second blind about a mile away.
This time I pulled out the 16 ga NEF using winchester 2 3/4" 71/2 shot.  Setup a little different this time we put out the owl decoy and set the crow decoys up in a fight setup.  Set the Cass creek for the fight call and sat back and watched as the crows started pouring in.  within an hour there must have been 100 crows flying in.  All in all we kill 56 crows.  Not bad for the first hunt of the year.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 04:40:39 AM »
Way to go! Another trick you might want to try is to bait with a large pile of spaghetti instead of the pizza. 'course I would be hard pressed to share either spaghetti or pizza with a crow. :lol: