Author Topic: Brass framed '58s  (Read 574 times)

Offline Holiday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-holidayhayes
Brass framed '58s
« on: August 17, 2004, 05:32:56 PM »
Greetings! I have a pair of CVA/Pietta 1858 revolvers that I've had for a year that I have finally decided to start using in CAS. These pistols shoot well and I have been using about 28 grains of Pyrodex with no problem. My queston is, are Pyrodex Pellets too stout for brass framed Remmies? I would like to use these pistols occasionally, but they wont be used for every match, probably 5-6 times a year.
Holiday Hayes
Darksider, Gunfighter
"Just a simple Cowboy, tryin' ta git along"

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
Brass framed '58s
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 01:59:52 AM »
I have a brass framed remmington, one of the buffalo ones from Cabelas.   I am not sure of the powder equivalent on the pyrodex pellets, but I regularly shoot 28 grains of BP or 23 grains 777 in mine.  In three years I have not noted any problem.  The brass remmintons are a bit stronger than the brass colts, thanks to the frame design.   I know they aren't historically accurate, but they are pretty when put side by side with my brass Henry.

Offline Flint

pellets
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 06:39:42 AM »
The Pyrodex pellets are marked 30 grains, so are probably equivalent to 30 gr black powder.  Check Hogdon's website fot velocities etc compared to 777 or black powder.  For occasional use, probably OK.  I found in my 1860 that the pellets burned better than the loose powder.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Holiday

• Contributor
    • http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-holidayhayes
Brass framed '58s
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 07:14:48 AM »
Thanks, I may give 'em a try! Sure will be a lot quicker to load. Might even try to make some paper cartridges. Heck, that's what I got into CAS for, the fun of it. If it don't work, nothing lost but a little time!
Holiday Hayes
Darksider, Gunfighter
"Just a simple Cowboy, tryin' ta git along"

Offline Ramrod

Brass framed '58s
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 01:11:28 PM »
Holiday, Go for it. If you even manage to stretch the frame on it, you will have shot alot of rounds from them. Don't worry about it. Someday they won't be so accurate, but they will still be safe to shoot, so plink with them, or hang them on the wall and buy steel. It would be hard to say you didn't get your money's worth out of them.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith