Poll

What type of action do you use for deer hunting?

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: August 17, 2004, 06:09:51 AM

Author Topic: What type of action do you prefer for a deer rifle?  (Read 1118 times)

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
What type of action do you prefer for a deer rifle?
« on: August 10, 2004, 06:09:51 AM »
This is gonna be one heck of a question with alot of answers. But I'm interested to see who's who and what's what. Thanx.
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
What type of action do you prefer for a dee
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 06:15:26 AM »
Bolt all the way  :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 06:28:19 AM »
Long live lever guns 8) 300 Savage model 99 all the way. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 11:00:03 AM »
If we could use rifles in Delaware, it would be a bolt action, but it is a shotgun & Shiloh Sharps only State. So I have to use my Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 with black powder & paper patch bullets. I switch to my Remington 1100 off and on.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 11:01:08 AM »
I own at least one of each gun listed and I prefer bolt action for all my big game and predator hunting....I can work my bolt from my shoulder and never "sway" from target....I am just used to it but when I work a lever from shoulder I have a tendency for the muzzle to go slightly up and to the right and when I work a pump very slightly down and to the left, I don't like semi-autos because they just don't lock-up as tight and don't hold the consistent groupings my bolt action does(i am sure a lot of people will argue all these points very harshly) Single shot just don't allow for a "quick" follow up shot, but I seldom ever need one(sometimes on running fox and yotes) so I would go with a single shot if I was going to use anything other than a bolt action...just my choice, a lot has to do with the fact that I have been harvesting deer with a bolt action since I was 6 years old too.......Happy Hunting............
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 11:34:26 AM »
There are two separate questions here.  The heading asks what we prefer, but ther poll asks what we use.

I use a lever, but I prefer an autoloader.  My vote went with lever, but my heart lies with the semi.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 11:45:40 AM »
Single shot for me.  Pumps are nice and quick, as well as leverguns.  And sure as hell you bolt boys can shuck them cartridges out awfully quick, sometimes just as quick as the semi-shooters.  But as long as I do my part I only need one shot, and Ill take the less weight and shorter over-all length anyday.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 11:45:42 AM »
70% of the time I grab a bolt action.  The other 30% is divided between the other types with single shots coming in second.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 12:08:11 PM »
Sorry Mr. Teal. Hope I didn't confuse you  :shock:
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline jhm

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 12:20:59 PM »
You mean to tell me that they make other actions other than BOLT ACTION, cant understand WHY. :-D  :D    JIM

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 12:28:13 PM »
OK folks....along with the poll I have another question. Is it just that nobody likes semi's or doesn't their state laws permit them from having them? I know that PA doesn't permit them but I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, please, that New York and Michigan are two states that I know of that permit them for hunting. Some input would be great. Thanx!
JP

Offline Tc300mag1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 01:16:31 PM »
i voted bolt becuse my 300 win mag is my baby  but i use a 30-06 in semi auto just as much

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 01:34:02 PM »
I voted pump. I have two bolt actions I like too.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 02:47:26 PM »
Quote from: Fishman029
OK folks....along with the poll I have another question. Is it just that nobody likes semi's or doesn't their state laws permit them from having them? I know that PA doesn't permit them but I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, please, that New York and Michigan are two states that I know of that permit them for hunting. Some input would be great. Thanx!

You can use em im Kentucky and Tennessee but I just don't like hunting with the big bulky things, plus there are more movable parts that"could" go bad on you(don't mean they will,but...)not to mention all the extra places water can enter and "run" off to, and as New Hampshire said "you bolt boys can shuck them cartridges out awfully quick, sometimes just as quick as the semi-shooters" and thankfully I am one of them "bolt boys" he refers to and I sure can "work the bolt" if I need to.....people may want to argue this but your second shot can only be as quick as you can recover from recoil and aim again which during this time is plenty enough time to work a bolt on a good bolt action(with YEARS of practice)....I remember once when I was probally 9 or 10 my Dad and I was walking along the edge of a soybean field and all of a sudden he fired BOOMBOOM,BOOM he told me he shot 3 coyotes and we would pick em up later, we went ahead deer hunting and later on the way out we stopped off and got his three coyotes I drug one and he carried two...The point is he shot 2 coyotes with a bolt action so fast they fell within 10 ft of each other and the third one only made it 30 yards and he shot it running, on top of that it was under moonlight....I remember telling him that I wish I was that good and he replied "you will be boy, you will be" and although I am NOT as good as he was, at least not in my eyes, I have filled three deer tags in one field at the same time with three shots from a bolt action and all three shots were heart/lung with no meat damage(well one of em had very slight front right quarter damage, where I took a slight angled running shot but I only lost 1-2 lbs, more of a graze than anything)...
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2004, 04:07:08 PM »
Wow.  :eek:  :shock: That is one amazing story. And you mentioned great points on why not to own a semi-auto. Not that I am putting them down, but "7MagWoodsman" is right in most aspects. Just something for all of us to consider  :grin:
JP

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2004, 09:08:31 AM »
Fishman029,

Is it just that nobody likes semi's or doesn't their state laws permit them from having them?

Basically it boils down to what I am used to using.  Along with my Ruger Mini 14(my duty weapon of choice) I have a Rem. M742 in .30-06(was left to me by an uncle along with all of his other firearms) that shoots OK, if you consider 2 - 2 1/2 inch groups OK.  Have I ever used it to take deer?  Three times.  One, I don't really care for the way it feels. Two, I prefer a more accurate weapons than most semi-auto's tend to be.  It is for these same reason’s I don’t care for pumps either.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2004, 10:32:51 AM »
OK. Unless someone is a semi aficionado...I guess that means most of us don't care for them. I've never shot a semi centerfire hunting rifle...and that's prolly b/c as I said....PA doesn't permit them for hunting. Same goes for semi .22's (don't ask me why...I already asked and got the cold shoulder). I like to use them for plinking and whatnot and would like to take revenge out on a few squirrels with my Marlin Glenfield  :twisted: , but I would be in some deep s*** if the Game Commission caught me with one. Oh well. Bolts will do great for now.
JP

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2004, 11:27:46 AM »
You can't even use semi-auto .22s??????????? I hate to hear that, If my beloved state of Kentucky ever tryes to consider banning semi-autos for hunting, they will lose a state tax-payer!

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2004, 12:11:00 PM »
Quote from: Fishman029
Wow.  :eek:  :shock: That is one amazing story. And you mentioned great points on why not to own a semi-auto. Not that I am putting them down, but "7MagWoodsman" is right in most aspects. Just something for all of us to consider  :grin:

I never said "not to own a semi-auto"  I own several myself. I apologize if I may have worded it to seem that way....I just have no use for them in hunting situations myself and gave my reasons why.....also to support what Lawdog said about his 742 and it shooting 2-2.5 inch groups, I can shoot about the same 5 shot group with my Ruger M77 7mag. FREEHANDED as I can with my Remington 7400 30'06 from a BENCH.

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2004, 01:52:15 PM »
And I didn't intend to pun it either. But it seems that semi-autos are at the disadvantage.
JP

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2004, 02:57:30 PM »
I am sure you didn't intend on pun and I am sorry if you thought,I thought, you intended pun :-)  just wanted to "clear" it up and I meant no disrespect or rudeness in anyway.  :-)

It is true that semi-autos have far more disadvantages than advantages for ALL "hunting" situations.

Happy Hunting :grin: