Author Topic: Gas Check Question  (Read 679 times)

Offline Hawk's Feather

• Trade Count: (0)
Gas Check Question
« on: September 14, 2004, 12:53:22 PM »
I had posted this for Mr. Smith and he has not had time to reply, so I thought I would post it here to see if anyone has any answers.

Quick history and then on to the question(s). I have reloaded pistol and rifle for quite a few years and assume (you know what that does) that I know what I am doing there. I have been loading both jacketed and lead bullets for my handguns, but don’t really like the lead build up that I have to deal with after shooting lead bullets. Also, some of my pistols foul MUCH more than others. I am aware that the velocity of the load, etc. will affect the amount of lead that remains in the barrel. All most all of my loads are on the light to middle end of the velocity range for any of the calibers that I shoot – none are maximum loads.

Now on to the questions. Would adding gas checks to the lead bullets help reduce the leading problem? Can gas checks be added to lead bullets that I already have? (I do have a melting pot and have done some muzzle loader balls, but really don’t want to turn out the needed number of bullets for my pistols.) If gas checks can be added to my current bullets, what is the best way? In reading some of the posts here it seems that they can be added during loading, but I would like do things the best way, rather than the quickest way. I have checked the Magma site and wonder if their lube/sizer would be the best way to go. Also, by doing searches on the internet, I have not been able to find gas checks for much other that 30 and 44 caliber. What about .357 and .40? I am open to your suggestions.

Thanks,

Hawk

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Gas Check Question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 05:11:25 PM »
Gas checks are available from several commercial makers  for many different calibers, among which are .357 and .40cal. Certain cast bullet designs are made for gas checks, others aren't. What are the mold brands and numbers that you use now? Usually, it's very difficult adding checks to cast bullets not designed for them... It's not recommended, but not impossible. In putting gas checks on swaged lead bullets, that can be done at the time of initial formation. However, those that use Corbin products can also use a copper disk called a base guard that performs the same function. One of the main purposes of the check is to prevent melting of the bullet's base ( and subsequent tinning of the barrel). This improves accuracy at higher velocities. I believe most (target)(wheel guns) pistol shooters would recommend shooting lead bullets at low velocity. You have accuracy and unleaded barrels without using checks at all at low velocity. Higher velocities may be required to cycle automatics, and there, a check may be beneficial. Suggest you ask those on the Cast Bullet Forum what they think of this issue. 8)