Author Topic: Legislature Nixes Pistol Permit Renewals  (Read 462 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Legislature Nixes Pistol Permit Renewals
« on: August 11, 2004, 05:35:01 AM »
Finally, New York Legislature does something right!

If you're one of the "chosen few," and I mean VERY few, then this ought be good news for ya:

August 11, 2004

Albany
Legislature nixes pistol permit renewals

The state Legislature this week plans to finally put to rest the governor's proposal to require regular renewals of pistol licenses.
   The governor wanted pistol owners to renew their licenses every five years and pay a fee of at least $100. Now, unless they're revoked for cause, pistol licenses are good for life.
   The fee would have generated an estimated $31 million a year. Administration officials also argued that the renewal requirement would help the state police keep its database of handgun owners up to date. More than 1 million pistol licenses have been issued in New York since 1936.
   But many of the governor's fellow Republicans in the Legislature were incensed by the proposal, arguing that it would infringe on Second Amendment rights while serving no law-enforcement purpose.
   "The people least likely to commit crimes with guns are the law-abiding pistol licensees whose guns are registered and whose fingerprints are on record with the state police and the FBI," said Sen. James Seward, R-Milford.
   This week, lawmakers plan to pass a public-safety budget bill that does not include the pistol-permit proposal.
Paul Ertelt
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline NYH1

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 06:57:16 AM »
Thats great news!!! I have an "unrestricted conceal carry permit" and I'm glad that law didn't take effect!  :-D
What do you mean by "chosen few"?
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline BamBams

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 07:20:33 AM »
The percentage of New Yorker's who've been able to get past all the BS and actually be granted a CCW in New York
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Legislature Nixes Pistol Permit Renewals
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 08:08:06 AM »
Quote from: BamBams
More than 1 million pistol licenses have been issued in New York since 1936.
Dali Llama say that number seem sadly  :(  low, given number of people who have resided in Empire State since 1936. :(
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline NYH1

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 08:30:29 AM »
Quote from: BamBams
The percentage of New Yorker's who've been able to get past all the BS and actually be granted a CCW in New York

Out side of New York City and some other counties it pretty easy to get a CCW permit. In New York State permits are done by the county sheriff and approved by a county judge. Most county judges give CCW permits with not hassel at all. Monroe County (Rochester area) and some of the counties by NYC are hard to get a CCW permit. I'm not sure a bout Erie County (Buffalo area). I'm in Onondaga County (Syracuse) and until about two years ago it was real hard to get a CCW permit. We had a Republican judge named Kevin Mulroy that would not give any CCW permit unless he thought it was ok for you to have one. I think he went two years and only gave out seven CCW permits. A few other counties are hard to, but not as bad as most people think!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"