Author Topic: Best summer of my life!  (Read 491 times)

Offline big medicine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Best summer of my life!
« on: August 12, 2004, 05:21:13 AM »
What a summer it has been. The weather here in Nebraska has been great. Normally temps are in high 90s and over 100 by this time, and have been so for a while. This summer we have only had a hand full of those days. I have spent more time out shooting this summer than I can remember. My son who was 4 in June likes to go out shooting with me, and that more than anything else just makes life great.

I have been working up loads for the 35 Rem, 30-30, and the 204 Ruger. Last night I was shooting loads for the 204 and my son was out there with me. I had shot a group and were going to the target board to check it out. There he was walking ahead of me with his little toy shotgun, John Deere hat, ear muffs, Amreican flag t-shirt, blue jeans, GI web belt with pliers and pliers pouch (that hangs to his knees) and new camo boots. I'm watching him walking, thinking I'm the richest man in the world. I looked up to the blue sky and thanked God. Just then my son stops turns around, and spreads his arms wide open. I said, whats up buddy? He looks at me and says "mine just want to give you a hug dad." Then he held my had as we walked to check the targets.

We shot his little Davy Cricket 22 for the first time. the kid had a smile plastered from ear to ear. Then we came home and sorted brass from the tumbler, hopefully tonight we can resize a bunch of it. He is as excited as I am. What a great summer!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Best summer of my life!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 05:56:17 AM »
Moments like that are......Priceless....you are a luckyman indeed... :grin:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
Best summer of my life!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 08:19:41 AM »
The time spent with your kids and doing what you love to do at the same time are priceless. Cherish these moments as all kids grow up too soon.
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Best summer of my life!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 08:32:40 AM »
Quote from: big medicine
What a summer it has been. The weather here in Nebraska has been great. Normally temps are in high 90s and over 100 by this time, and have been so for a while. This summer we have only had a hand full of those days. I have spent more time out shooting this summer than I can remember. My son who was 4 in June likes to go out shooting with me, and that more than anything else just makes life great.

I have been working up loads for the 35 Rem, 30-30, and the 204 Ruger. Last night I was shooting loads for the 204 and my son was out there with me. I had shot a group and were going to the target board to check it out. There he was walking ahead of me with his little toy shotgun, John Deere hat, ear muffs, Amreican flag t-shirt, blue jeans, GI web belt with pliers and pliers pouch (that hangs to his knees) and new camo boots. I'm watching him walking, thinking I'm the richest man in the world. I looked up to the blue sky and thanked God. Just then my son stops turns around, and spreads his arms wide open. I said, whats up buddy? He looks at me and says "mine just want to give you a hug dad." Then he held my had as we walked to check the targets.

We shot his little Davy Cricket 22 for the first time. the kid had a smile plastered from ear to ear. Then we came home and sorted brass from the tumbler, hopefully tonight we can resize a bunch of it. He is as excited as I am. What a great summer!!
Those do indeed be priceless moments with our offspring, say Dali Llama. :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :-)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
Best summer of my life!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 12:30:46 PM »
Big Medicine,

You're making me long for those days gone by with my son. We fished, hunted, shot, and camped all the time. Here in Pennsylvania the legal age to hunt is 12, but my son hunted with me several years before reaching 12. Since the statute of limitations is expired, I can tell you that some of the game we brought home those days was bagged by my son! How many 9 year olds do you know that have shot chucks at over 200 yds. with their own 6mm rifle? He did! Also, I still have some groups he shot with his LH Rem 581 & 6mm-Rem 788LH.

My son has a 4 in his age too, but there's a zero after the 4! These days we mostly get together to hunt deer. Best weeks of the year are spent hunting with him.

Glad to hear that the next generation is being nurtured by caring fathers willing to spend time passing on the tradition. Congratulations.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
Best summer of my life!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »
I'm on call today and those days I usually dont get to do much. Had 10 minutes for lunch today, hopefully will get some sleep tonight. Before I left for work this morning he asked if we could do bullets tonight? He really likes reloading! He doesnt miss much either. He explained the whole process to my wife. Good attention to detail! :wink: