Author Topic: WHAT NIGHT IS BEST?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline rascal (Joe Duncan)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
WHAT NIGHT IS BEST?
« on: November 24, 2002, 01:24:30 PM »
A lot of posting concerning coon and I thought I would ask you fellows what type night do you prefer when it comes to taking coon?

Now before that WACKYQUACK Doc says "every night"-- I know that Doc, but just wanted to get a feel from everyone.

This morning was sunny with clouds building this afternoon and a cold front on its way within 48 hours.  Seems tonight with the cloud cover, moderate temp, and little or no wind, would be a super good one.  (edited at 6:45pm) Oh yeah, a little rain (drizzle) has started.  Man I wish I had sets made!

What do you think?
For Sale: Old wore out trapper - rode hard, put up wet, high milage and earned every mile.

Offline Wackyquacker

WHAT NIGHT IS BEST?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 01:35:51 PM »
I resemble that remark!, ya ole Rascal :twisted: .  By the way, I've seen A coon since I moved to the land of dry and sand.

• Contributor
WHAT NIGHT IS BEST?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 01:40:54 PM »
Doc;
  If you would quit drinking that formaldahyde (spelling?), you might see more than one!  Everyone knows that stuff will make you go blind!
For Sale: Old wore out trapper - rode hard, put up wet, high milage and earned every mile.

Offline Wackyquacker

WHAT NIGHT IS BEST?
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2002, 01:53:16 PM »
formaldahyde (spelling?) correct spellinig = Scotch

Offline trappnman

• A Real Regular
    • http://home.rconnect.com/~trapper
WHAT NIGHT IS BEST?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2002, 02:03:23 PM »
Best of all possible nights is with snow cover, and temp gets into 40s during day and low thirties at night (that late Dec/Early jan thaw).  Add a light mist or fog, and you can't get better.  Early season i dind best nights are misty nifghts in low forties.  As another general rule- coon react to changes- so temp increases, weather fronts often provide good action.

Having said this- my best 1 night ever on dryland was on a clear moonlit night, temps in 60s after 70s during the day- very odd.....trappnman
Your American Heritage- Fur Trapping, Hunting & Fishing

• Contributor
WHAT NIGHT IS BEST?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2002, 02:10:59 PM »
T-man;
  Just about what I thought on the early season.  Right now a light drizzle, temp in the 50's and supposed to drop to 40's.   Me-thinks everything just about right!!

Offline Newt

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.snareone.com
WHAT NIGHT IS BEST?
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2002, 12:47:07 PM »
I do best when the weather has been colder than normal.Then you get a worm front move in,with ligght rain.
 I will neaver forget the night just like that.I had 14 snares in 1 trail leading from the high land, down to the salt water tidal meadows.This trail went along a small fresh water creek.It's hard bottom made it the best way to get out to the mead'ers ta trap rats.The snares were set 3 days before the worm front was to move in.Heck those 3 days, I did'nt even carry the 22 on the way ta tend da rat traps.Knowing there would'nt be any coon in the snares.Lo-and-be-hold the weather man was right this time.About 8pm that night the temp went from 25 to 40 and it started to rain.That morning I put on the oilskins and with 22 in hand set out down the creek.Out of the 14 snares I had 11 coon,and 1 pull down.
Newt---over---