Author Topic: Removing the sights on a TC Omega  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Carroll B

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo
Removing the sights on a TC Omega
« on: August 17, 2004, 11:10:02 AM »
Last week I treated myself to a TC Omega to compliment my TC Hawkin that I built as a kit over 20 years ago.  I am more confident when using a scope over iron sights so I mounted a 2x7 on the Omega.  If I remove the sights can I buy screws to fill in the holes that would be left in the barrel?  If so where would I get them? My gun has a stainless steel barrel.  I would also like to mount the rear sight from the Omega on my Hawkin as I like the fiber optic better then the plain sign now on the Hawkin.
Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Home Page www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 12:37:47 PM »
You should be able to get plug screws from a local gun shop, if not they can be ordered from www.brownells.com but First I would call T/C and ask them where you can get plug screws, I'd bet they will ship you some free of charge.  They are pretty good about stuff like that.  It would be nice if manufactures would drill and tap the sights and scope bases the same so you could just move the plug screws to where you need them.  I believe the screws for T/C scope bases are too small for the holes drilled for the sights (at least thats what I remember about the black diamonds).

Offline Nic_58

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 01:01:11 PM »
I recently removed the sights on my stainless Omega.  The screws I removed that plugged the scope base holes worked to fill in the rear fiber optic sight holes.  I ordered a package of the slave screws  from T/C for the front sight hole.  You will need one of them to fill the front sight hole as it is larger than the scope base holes.   They only come in blue to the best of my knowledge.   I bought  a spray can of matte grey paint, drilled a hole in a small block of wood the same size as the slave screw, just deep enough to cover the threads of the screw and gave it a couple coats of the matte grey paint.  Now my front screw matches the stainless finish and the gun looks really sharp with the slick barrel.  Good luck!

Offline toytruck

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 01:36:26 PM »
I have a 209X45 and .50 SS barrels and noticed that the front sights are different on both barrels.  The .45 barrel front sight is taller than the .50 front sight.  I called TC today and they said that was correct due to the pressure and shooting differences between the two calibers.  Learn something new everyday!

I took the sights off the .45 barrel as the TC scope mount was too low to mount a scope using medium Warne rings.  The scope hit the rear sight.

I now have the Warne scope base on the .50 barrel using the Warne medium rings and the scope clears the rear sight, so I left the sights on.

When it cools down somemore I hope to start shooting again and give the .50 barrel a workout to find a hunting load.  Killed four deer with the .45 using 225 powerbelts, but want more punch through power. :grin:
Whites & TC Renegade

Life may change us, but we start and end with family.

Offline Jim M

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 07:43:51 AM »
I had the same problem when I removed the sights form my CVA Kodiak. I just returned from the gen shop where the clerk told me to help myself to to assorted filler screws that he had left over from mounting scopes for customers.  I took about six including some stainless ones and they fit the holes from the sights. I was surprised because the filler screws that CVA gave me were too big for the holes.  Give that a try. The Same company makes Winchester muzzleloaders and CVA.