Author Topic: Some Forum Criticism - Help Me Out  (Read 1212 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Some Forum Criticism - Help Me Out
« on: August 12, 2004, 06:36:10 PM »
Hi Guys,

We kinda do our own thing (within the rules) here on this forum, and that's the way we wanted it.  Anyway.........

I just got this PM from a member of Greybeards:

How would YOU respond to his message?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 06:43:50 PM »
Maybe I'm not the best one to comment on how a forum should be run :-D  BUT, I might say that he knew coming here, he would be hanging out with all the weird stepkids :P
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Offline NYH1

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 08:07:45 PM »
Well he's right, most of "these subjects" don't have anything to do with "Marlins and the like.........". :grin:  
It's always been like this on this forum! Its more "miscellaneous" then anything else! :toast:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 01:19:58 AM »
Quote from: New York Hunter
Well he's right, most of "these subjects" don't have anything to do with "Marlins and the like.........". :grin:  
It's always been like this on this forum! Its more "miscellaneous" then anything else! :toast:
Therein lie reason for "Misc." in title of Forum, say Dali Llama. :grin:  :grin:  :grin:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline magooch

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 02:38:22 AM »
BamBams, I would simply tell the guy/gal that he would have to know a little bit about the history of Marlin Talk to appreciate what this forum is all about.  To those who are new to the forum, the title no doubt is a little misleading.  Maybe the title should be "The Old Marlin Talk Gang".
Swingem

Offline BamBams

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 04:12:18 AM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate everyone's input.  I'll just send him a link to this thread!  *smiles*

I also sent Graybeard a PM asking him what he thinks about the possibility of renaming this forum to something like the "Old Marlin Talk Gang" or something along those lines.  It may just be a good thing to kinda "start fresh" around here?  What do you guys think?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 08:11:46 AM »
Bam Bams when I moderated the site I said we could talk about any thing here as long as the rules were followed. I did not care what the subject was. since you are doing the job now along with the other fella its up to you  how you want to run it. Jim  :-)
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 08:19:42 AM »
Quote from: BamBams
Thanks guys. I appreciate everyone's input.  I'll just send him a link to this thread!  *smiles*

I also sent Graybeard a PM asking him what he thinks about the possibility of renaming this forum to something like the "Old Marlin Talk Gang" or something along those lines.  It may just be a good thing to kinda "start fresh" around here?  What do you guys think?

Sounds fine to me can we talk politics and religion  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Offline BamBams

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 08:33:52 AM »
Thanks Jim. :)

I'm actually going to pretty much let "everyone" run it, which is why I will always bring this type of thing up to the "gang."  The only time I'm gonna moderate, is when something starts going wrong, or we start seeing stupid name calling, etc.

Still waiting for Graybeard's reply on my suggestion, so there's plenty of time for input from everyone
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 10:57:02 AM »
So what you are saying Bams, is that you would like this to be a unmoderated moderated forum ???
Ranger
"HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR RIFLES TODAY ?!"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 12:10:28 PM »
Quote from: RIFLERANGER
So what you are saying Bams, is that you would like this to be a unmoderated moderated forum ???
Ranger
:-D  :)  :)  :)  :-D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 12:30:31 PM »
Here is the response I sent to BamBams PM on this subject:

When I get there later I'll respond on the thread to the various questions asked in that thread.

While I have no problem with giving the forum a different name should such be desired I do have concerns about such a name as suggested. To be honest my site got but a small portion of the former Marlin folks. I'm sure there are several other sites with more of the Marlin bunch than GBO has. I do think I got most of the NEF crowd but not the Marlin crowd. Therefore I think it a bit too presumtious to call it the old gang when in fact so few of the total old gang is here.

I suppose I do have to agree with the person who asked the orignal question about the purpose of that particular Misc. forum. IT merely duplicates my Humor and Off Topic Discussion Forum which was there long before Marlin Talk folded. I set it up just because you guys who came over from MT wanted it rather than using a forum already set up to do the exact same thing you wanted it for. I still have no problem with it and no problem renaming it but not to something that would make it appear to be something it isn't.

Sounds fine to me can we talk politics and religion

Sure if it makes you happy to do so.

Rest assured it WILL NOT be that.

The general rules of the site will be followed on this and every other forum on the site. NO EXCEPTIONS!

There is really no purpose to this forum or basis for it to exist other than those of you Marlin guys/gals who came here asked for it and I gave it to you so you'd feel "more at home" by keeping to yourselves in your own little area of the site rather than having to "fit in" with the rest of the folks who were already here before you. I have a forum as mentioned in the PM to BamBams I copied for you above that serves the exact same purpose. I even have a Politics forum and I have a religion forum also. Two of them in fact.

So if you want a different name that's fine as long as that new name is actually descriptive of what it is. But remember of the 12,000-14,000 members of Marlin Talk on the Marlin side darn few of you are here. So calling it the old gang is too misleading really.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BamBams

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2004, 01:19:44 PM »
Okay guys, the "great one" has spoken, so if you want a new forum name, you gotta come up with something truly descriptive of what we type of posting we do here.  I'm on my lunch hour, and I've got to get back to work, so my creative thinking just isn't gonna kick in for awhile.

So what do you want to name it??????????
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2004, 01:49:56 PM »
"Hate and Discontent in Marlin-ville"?

:wink:
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2004, 02:03:42 PM »
Quote from: FWiedner

Fwed GB will  not tolerate any nonsense here so be forwarned. Other than that welcome!

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2004, 02:51:18 PM »
As to a start on a fresh sheet of paper: Sorry, Jim........I mean that!  Blaine

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2004, 02:59:28 PM »
Quote from: jh45gun

Fwed GB will  not tolerate any nonsense here so be forwarned. Other than that welcome!

Does he allow humor, or is it up to you make sure that none of that "nonsense" goes on either?
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2004, 03:33:34 PM »

Does he allow humor, or is it up to you make sure that none of that "nonsense" goes on either?
:roll:  :roll: Uh, oh, here we go again, say Dali Llama... :roll:  :roll:

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2004, 04:27:10 PM »

Humor is fine fwed Nothing is up to me I do not moderate here any more at this particular site just letting you know what the score is so you can post your puppie pics  :lol:   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2004, 04:29:52 PM »
Quote from: tubbythetuba

OK sounds good to me! Acepted and thanks .  :-)

Offline magooch

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2004, 04:18:49 AM »
How about "Shooters Lounge #2"?
Swingem

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2004, 04:30:09 AM »
Quote from: tubbythetuba

OK sounds good to me! Acepted and thanks .  :-)

Good. :-)

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2004, 05:06:58 AM »

Humor is fine fwed Nothing is up to me I do not moderate here any more at this particular site just letting you know what the score is so you can post your puppie pics  :lol:   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
:D  :)  :)  :-D

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2004, 12:04:49 PM »
I quess Master Debaters is out. :lol:
How about The Back Porch

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2004, 02:05:55 PM »
How about Rednecks Roundtable. :-D  :)  :-D  :)  :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS