Author Topic: Nikon Monarch 4x40 and 2-7x32?  (Read 673 times)

Offline JCM

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Nikon Monarch 4x40 and 2-7x32?
« on: August 13, 2004, 04:36:39 PM »
Has anyone used the 2x7 or 4x?  I've been using a Gold 1.5-6 and I am very impressed with it.  I'm so impressed that I'd like to look at another Nikon for a different rifle, but I'm not sure how the regular monarchs compare to the Golds.  

Any feedback, or has anyone compared the 1 inch to the 30 mm?  I'd appreciate input from anyone.

Thanks,
JCM

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 07:55:28 PM »
I have a 2x-7x 32 Monarch on a Marlin 336 and it is a great scope...I wanted the 4x 40mm but without either taking the rear sight off or using high rings I was limited to 32mm objective...I only use it for carrying around the farm on the tractor for coyotes and ground hogs and it works perfect for that, last year I let a buddy use my Ruger 7mag(which wears a 3x-9x 40mm Monarch) and I took the 336 and killed a nice buck with it around 200 yards. It was right at dark,raining, and foggy but the 2-7 32 Monarch still transmitted light good enough for me to make the shot with confidence...I have a cousin that has a 4x 40 Monarch on top of a Sako .270 and he says he will never use anything else, and for good reason because one glimpse through it at dark30 and no one can argue about the bright picture it paints...I actually think it transmits light better than my 3-9x 40mm for some reason...plus as he tells everyone(except me, cause he got the saying from me, back when everyone told me I needed a variable power scope, including him) "While yall are twistin' your knobs, I'll be firing."

I have never looked through a Gold or 30mm Nikon outside a store so I can't comment on that.
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline JCM

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 02:12:32 AM »
Thanks 7mag.  I appreciate the info.  

One more question....I think Zachery mentioned this in a post below, but I wasn't sure if it was as I thought or not.  Do the 1" monarchs have the windage/elevation dials that can be removed and then reset to the 0 reading by removing the silver screw in the middle?  The gold does, but I haven't looked at a 1" monarch yet.

I just need to go take a look at them.....

Thanks again and take care,
JCM