Author Topic: Encore 50 Cal Muzzleloader 15 inch barrel coming.  (Read 716 times)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Encore 50 Cal Muzzleloader 15 inch barrel coming.
« on: August 15, 2004, 06:29:43 AM »
I am getting a Encore 50 cal Muzzleloader pistol barrel. I also ordered the 25ACP conversion for it. I can't wait to get the barrel and conversion and go to the range and see what it will do. Does anyone else use the 209/50 pistol barrel here? How does it shoot?  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline drichi

• Trade Count: (1)
Encore 50 Cal Muzzleloader 15 inch barrel c
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 12:22:04 PM »
I really like my 15'" barrel. I have been shooting it with 8o grain equivalant load of loose ff t7 and shockwave 250. accuracy has been amazing. probably a good idea to get a brass muzzel protector to protect crown. dave

Offline whitfang

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 08:37:09 AM »
My Encore 209x50 pistol is great!   :-)

I shoot 100gr Pyrodex pellets with a Hornady 300gr XTP sabot.  Shockwaves also shoot good in it.  Never tried Powerbelts, altho I read about them being very accurate.

Since my eyes are getting old  8)   I use a T/C variable scope on it.  If you're going to use a scope, get a Peterson's hammer expander ($10) from Cabelas.  Also, the T/C power handle is nice.  

I think you'll find that you can swab and reload at least twice as fast as somebody shooting a muzzleloading rifle.

It's interesting that you're getting the 25acp conversion.  Has it actually been proven that 209 primers bounce the bullet off the powder?
Encore / Mathews / Rem870 / Savage 10ML

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 10:59:50 AM »
Quote from: whitfang
My Encore 209x50 pistol is great!   :-)

I shoot 100gr Pyrodex pellets with a Hornady 300gr XTP sabot.  Shockwaves also shoot good in it.  Never tried Powerbelts, altho I read about them being very accurate.

Since my eyes are getting old  8)   I use a T/C variable scope on it.  If you're going to use a scope, get a Peterson's hammer expander ($10) from Cabelas.  Also, the T/C power handle is nice.  

I think you'll find that you can swab and reload at least twice as fast as somebody shooting a muzzleloading rifle.

It's interesting that you're getting the 25acp conversion.  Has it actually been proven that 209 primers bounce the bullet off the powder?

whitfang, thanks for the feedback.
As far as the Peterson's hammer expander, I personally do not like them and won't use them. I just get a higher set of rings, so I can get the hammer cocked. I have not had any problems with my other Encore's.  
:-)  Now the power handle might be something I would get.
As far as the 25ACP conversion is concerned, I like the fact that I have almost eliminated the crud ring in my other 2 Encore's. And my accuracy has improved. I do not know if it has been proven if the 209 primers bounce the bullet off the powder, but it will push a ram rod with a patch to help seal the barrel, further up the barrel than a 25ACP with a rifle primer will. All I know is it works for me.  :D
I got the barrel yesterday and waiting for the 25ACP conversion. I could take one out of my other 2 barrels but I will wait. Now I want another Encore frame just for my barrel so I won't have to change it out with my other barrels. :wink:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline whitfang

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 01:11:04 PM »
Jeez, I just read 'Encore Gone' on the Encore Rifle Forum.  I had no idea that hammer extensions were blamed for misfires!   :eek:   :shock:

Now I have the willies AND the heebie-jeebies, because I use 209s and an extension!   :shock:    :eek:

Throw in the infamous CRUD RING, and you've got me thinking I should just use my bow through the muzzleloader season!
Encore / Mathews / Rem870 / Savage 10ML

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 01:49:55 PM »
Quote from: whitfang
Jeez, I just read 'Encore Gone' on the Encore Rifle Forum.  I had no idea that hammer extensions were blamed for misfires!   :eek:   :shock:

Now I have the willies AND the heebie-jeebies, because I use 209s and an extension!   :shock:    :eek:

Throw in the infamous CRUD RING, and you've got me thinking I should just use my bow through the muzzleloader season!

Like I said it is my personal preference. I do not knock what you do. If it works for you great. I just chose to ride a horse with a different color.  :D  I never said you have to do this. But thanks for you input.  :wink:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA